Chorus on Syntakt: how-to and discussion

Chorus is one of the most-requested features I’ve seen mentioned here for Syntakt, especially for the SY Chord machine. I wanted to post a just-in-case how-to for anyone who hadn’t tried out making a chorus with the delay and FX block LFO:

Basic Chorus on Syntakt:

DELAY TIME: ~2.00 (1.00-4.00)

FX LFO1
DEST: DEL TIME
DEPTH: ~0.10 (0.05-0.30)
DELAY SEND: ~75-127
(track or fx block)

for 20-50ms delay, at 120bpm
DELAY TIME 1.00 = 16ms
DELAY TIME 4.00 = 63ms

I posted a quick video with chorus (and flanger and phaser) how-to and demo sounds, with on-screen parameters for some variations.

I know it’d also be nice to have a chorus plus delay and reverb like on A4 and Digitone, but I think this way is pretty flexible and well worth experimenting with.

Anyone have strategies for improving on it further? Additional applications for chorus? Interesting strategies for increasing the stereo dimension?

7 Likes

A logical strategy: an lfo on Delay Stereo Width. I used it on that one, with also an lfo on Delay time, but I kept OG 1/8. delay time…

settings

I also found interesting to use an lfo on Reverb Delay, which also add a kind of slight chorus, keeping Delay in a regular use…

4 Likes

Nice! I really like the idea of preserving the normal delay by using reverb Pre delay as a chorus…

1 Like

It’s really light. Btw as I precised above, you can add an lfo on Delay time and keep a regular value.
Never enough lfos…