Elektronaughts Hip Hop Battle #23 - Love is Light and Light is Free

For this edition we are going to be sampling from Erykah Badu’s album “Mama’s Gun

Released on Novemeber 21st 2000 and recorded at Electric Lady Studios, this all-time classic and has plenty of material to inspire and make some fresh beats. Qwestlove is all over the album as the featured drummer. J Dilla produced a few tracks… its a great one and along with D’Angelos “Voodoo” probably the apex of the Soulquarian era of Hip Hop/RnB.

So yeah, your choices for your samples is pretty narrow but this round we are going to flex our producer muscles and add full verses to our tracks. These can be any acapellas from any era (just need to be rapping) Tracks will be judged on how well the the lyrics fit the beat and the beat fits the lyrics.

The Guidelines:

• In order to participate, post an acapella and drum break in this thread.
  • You don’t need to use one of the acapellas posted, but you can.
  • All samples must be taken from “Mama’s Gun”
  • You can use your own drums or chop a break that gets posted.
  • You can add bass using whatever you want.
  • Tracks should be no longer than 3:00 (a bit longer this time to account for the vocals)

Deadline for submissions is Sunday, July 29
Deadline for final track is Sunday, August 13

11 Likes

Heres my acapella and beat

7 Likes

So if I go for an acapella, I’m only picking from ones I didn’t post, do I understand that right?

No not limited to the ones that get posted, just thought it might be be helpful or someone might post something that really inspires you.

If you got bars then you are welcome to use your own voice!

2 Likes

1 record, acapellas! that’s a nice change from the last couple of months, exciting!

1 Like

Should be a fun one. I remember her being particularly good live It was a very impressive show, stage full of talented musicians just feeling it. Got very in the moment, it was a powerfull experience.

In the battles some months back, the wu one, and before that there were a lot of acapellas in use and I remember having a hard time finding them

Where do people source acapellas?

2 Likes

I’m back for this battle (at least).

1 Like

@1-2 You said the magic word :open_hands:

break

7 Likes

Acapella: Dirty South by Goodie Mob

Drum Break: Decades by Harvey Milk

6 Likes

Sometimes they’re bonus tracks on albums, like the Goodie Mob one I just posted. Others will be pulled using Stemroller or some other stem splitter

2 Likes

I generally just search on YouTube for one that fits the tempo of my track, there’s not the biggest selection but it seems to grow as time goes on. Especially since the current ai stem separation apps are becoming more and more popular

2 Likes

here are my suggestions:

4 Likes

Looking back over the liner notes, I had no idea Roy Ayers played on Mama’s Gun. What a stacked group of musicians

2 Likes

Ok - I haven’t picked my break/drums yet but I am really excited to share this acappella.

When I heard this song for the first time I knew something had changed in Hiphop - it summons a spiritual frequency for me every time. So many amazing vocalists.

I did my best to pull a vocal stem from it, its not perfect so you will likely want it to sit in the mix with other instruments/drums…

Hope you can find some inspiration in here.
Bonus:And Erykah Badu has a verse too
Peace

6 Likes

Love the theme very cool.

I’m on holiday so I won’t be able to post anything this week.

Are people allowed to participate if they don’t post a break?

1 Like
7 Likes

Yes! Just get a track finished by the deadline above and you are in the playlist!

2 Likes

Vocals
Here is a stem version of Large Professor’s IJUSWANNACHILL that I guarantee should sound good on Elektron boxes/slightly filtered anywhere (had to link it because the size is too large)

Large Pro - IJUSWANNACHILL

Break
Milly & Silly - Getting Down for Xmas

Neat idea @malus_mons and appreciate the challenge you’ve presented us :sweat_smile: looking forward to the fresh flavors @everyone :beers:

4 Likes

This is great, I was thinking an Andre or Jay Electronica verse would be a cool mashup. I’m pretty sure “times a wastin” is about Andre or their son.

Ghetto concept - Toronto represent :canada:

2 Likes