Best ‘on the couch’ device for sketching ideas?

This!

1 Like

I refuse to buy another iPad after the last one (less than 3 years old) was bricked for no apparent reason. AppleCare had expired so support was limited to a “genius” confirming what I already new.

I usually export the tracks both in wavs and midi directly to my dropbox. There’s also the possibility to export an ableton session, but I haven’t really tried it.

mOdel Samples is your Huckleberry

Korg NanoKEY controller with iPad . Wireless midi. Has instant automatic mapping to all the synths and drum machines within Korg Gadget. You can map it to any other app too

The action on the keyboard buttons is… odd feeling though. Clacky too.

It has a nice combo mode where the chromatic keys are chords on one row and locked-to-key melodic playing on the other (in Gadget)

The other controls - knobs, rubber buttons and track pad are just fine feel-wise - as expected for the price

2 Likes

iPad has to be the answer. Zero boot up time. No power cable needed. Built in speaker.

Unlimited options in terms of sound generation or sequencing, so you can try many different ideas many different ways. Not limited by one box’s limitations. Tons of options for routing and FX all in the same machine.

Certain apps like Koala, Ableton Note and Pure Acid are literally designed for quick sketches and increasingly easy to export these to DAW for further work.

2 Likes

Analog Four MK II has the perfect form factor for sketching out ideas on your lap. If you need to be wireless, a ripchord and strong powerbank are options.

I also love the Digitone for sketching out ideas on the couch. Not ideal form factor though.

1 Like

an mpc one and a pair of headphones on your lap is a staggering amount of capability

3 Likes

My first thought for this thread was the Polyend Tracker, mainly because I’m mostly into trying to make and perform music live at the moment and I find that’s best if I’m standing at my desk with OT/etc. If I was comfortably sitting down I’d be in a different mode of composition I think, and more into taking time to create intricate patterns and compositions, and the Tracker seems ideal as a dedicated device for that.

The only problem though is that the Tracker doesn’t support stereo samples, and it’s the main reason why I haven’t got one and probably won’t unless they do a new stereo version. I do a lot of field recording and binaural stuff and I’d like to be able to properly use that material.

Rytm, OT, any mpc or others mentioned here i would say will get you pretty far. I find it a matter of taste and preferred workflow.

I would not recommend a TR6s (mentioning this one because its on the pic a couple of posts above) alone for couch jams. I have one, and it’s a great machine, but for me it would be too limited. I see it as a great machine for foundations, but not for creative things.

Are there really people out there chilling on the couch with a massive OT on their lap? :slight_smile:
Doesn’t sound comfy to me.
The only device i have that i can use while sitting around on a couch is the PO-33. Or maybe a Model:Samples.

1 Like

OP-Z with the rumble module is my personal fav.

Such a joyful little device. (build issues aside for some).

1 Like

There you go:

1 Like

Circuit Rhythm or Circuit Tracks fit the bill. Built-in rechargeable batteries, fun interface, and relatively inexpensive.

And there are lots of apps for iPad since you have one. Maybe Korg Gadget, Drambo, or Koala sampler to get you going.

3 Likes

I do this a lot! actually prefer it compared to a tablet with sunvox or laptop. Much more tactile and made me discover some neat OT tricks

1 Like

Not too heavy after 10 minutes?

1 Like

You just need to put it on a necklace like Flavor Flav did with his clock, except Octatrack knows the time.

6 Likes

7 Likes

Yeah boy-eeeee!

5 Likes

Organelle is ideal four couch tinkering….batteries, built in speaker, built in microphone….

1 Like