Octatrack knows the time

Hi! Just received my Octatrack (I have no idea how to start…) and there was one quirk when I first ignited it up: it knew the exact time, was only 2 minutes off. How the hell did it know? I mean it waited on the shelf to be shipped, courier could deliver anytime between 1-3 days, all while unpowered, it seems impossible.

1 Like

It has a battery.

6 Likes

You can set date and time, it’s in the system menu. Once that’s set, OT knows the time for as long as the battery lasts.

It even sorts saved projects chronological, oldest to newest, unlike the Analogs that sort them alphabetical.

Edit, sorry, Analogs sort chronological, OT alphabetical. Thx @garfield

Wait how do you do this? My OT the project list is alphabetical.

Does it know it’s time for better sound quality? :eyes:

9 Likes

OT knows a lot of things.

2 Likes

Ah, sorry, it’s the other way round. OT is alphabetical, Analogs chronological.

The Octatrack knows what time it is at all times. It knows this because it knows what time it isn’t. By subtracting what time it is from what time it isn’t, or what time it isn’t from what time it is - whichever is greater - it obtains a difference or deviation. The clock subsystem uses deviations to generate corrective commands to drive the Octatrack from a time when it is to a time when it isn’t, and arriving at a time that it wasn’t, it now is. Consequently, the time where it is is now the time that it wasn’t, and if follows that the time that it was is now the time that it isn’t. In the event that the time that the time that it is in is not the time that it wasn’t, the system has acquired a variation. The variation being the difference between when the Octatrack is and when it wasn’t. If variation is considered to be a significant factor, it too may be corrected by the GEA. However, the Octatrack must also know when it was. The Octatrack clock computer scenario works as follows: Because a variation has modified some of the information that the Octatrack has obtained, it is not sure just when it is. However, it is sure when it isn’t, within reason, and it know where it was. It now subtracts where it should be from where it wasn’t, or vice versa. And by differentiating this from the algebraic sum of where it shouldn’t be and where it was, it is able to obtain the deviation and its variation, which is called error.

7 Likes

Octatrack knows time it is.

2 Likes

When you save recording buffers it even suggests naming them as a timestamp, which it pulls from thin air, because of its magical time divination drive right next to the CF card.

1 Like

Does anybody really know what time it is?

2 Likes

The KLF - 3AM Eternal (and to Infinity)

1 Like

Well that’s funny, because when I had an Octatrack I asked it what the time was and it told me to go fuck myself.

4 Likes

The Self Care mode is still beta.

2 Likes
2 Likes

OT knows you left it alone on valentines day. Corrupts your samples and fucks with your projects.

4 Likes

My Octatrack knows it’s time for the percolator.

2 Likes

Wait, so your OT midi timing is 2 minutes off?