Best ‘on the couch’ device for sketching ideas?

If it seems a little off putting try sunvox or another tracker on your iPad first. Get a feel for it and see if it’s for you

The circuits are another option

Your right it is like making music on a spread sheet and the results are superb.

Learning curve, some take to it quickly where some don’t, plenty of tutorials online.

3.0 firmware has just dropped, lots of new commands, lots of fixes, lots of improvements and a new “hypersynth” happy days

Yes.

I’d say not steep at all. I was a bit sceptical before getting it because I knew I wouldn’t have much time to learn something new but it was surprisingly inviting and intuitive.

iPad with Korg Gadget. The killer feature for me is the on-screen keyboard that adapts to the scale you set. Perfect for fast melodic explorations.

6 Likes

Ableton Note for iOS. And for the tactile duties any iOS ready controller of your fav brands.

2 Likes

My two wireless couch instruments are:

• MPC Live 2
  • SP-404 MK II

Both have a battery life, which is IMO long enough to have fun, decent size and built quality, sitting well on my lap and quite intuitive.

Most importent for you will be the kind of music you plan to create. But because you mentioned “wireless-digitakt” I guess it’s about beats and both suggestions would be fine. IMO both have great sound quality.

Advantage of the MPC

• great sampler and various sound engines/synths
  • very intuitive UI for efficient work, even for complex arrangements and sound-design
  • a couple of useful helpers for pattern creation, arrangement, composition, chords, chord-progressions, and more …
  • great recording and editing capabilities for MIDI and automation
  • easy transfer of created content to a computer, including all the MIDI-stuff, automation etc.

Advantage of SP-404

• great sampler (not only lofi)
  • easy intuitive UI
  • direct approach to resampling everything, which is just going on
  • generated audio is always recorded into a buffer, which can become a sample for future use on a push of a button
  • great and creativity boosting FX section
5 Likes

Some excellent suggestions already been posted. For me, the following are current favourites: -

MPC Live with built in battery. Not much it doesn’t do

Roland Verselab MV1 - had every MC variant and actually find this more fun to use than the MC-707. Hopefully, they’ll eventually supersede the MC-909

Roland Aira T8 - bass and drums with built in battery

Elektron Model Cycles - fun and easy to get something going with it

G

2 Likes

WOW.

This is timely.

I was just having a dig around on my iPad, and knew I had a few apps that I played with a few years ago, but never got deep with.

One of them was Gadget. I had a listen to the 10 or so old projects on there from 4-5 years ago, and without fail, each everyone of them was :fire:

Just loops, of course, but some of the best grooves I think I’ve ever writtten!

Yeah, I’m gonna have to revisit this one. :joy::ok_hand:

1 Like

Also, it seems quit full fledged, within reason.

Nothing stopping you from writing a whole track in it, I’d wager. A pretty decent MINI DAW.

I’ll have to inspect how it imports into a real DAW, whether it can spit out stems or whatever.

Polyend Tracker or M:C

m8 is much easier than a traditional tracker imo. I can’t get my head around most trackers. renoise / polyend, they all fry my brain.
that wasn’t the case with m8, to my surprise.

you don’t need to know hex as you enter values with the up & down arrows. no typing.

the screen doesn’t scroll when the tune is playing (that’s huge for me). it’s static the whole time.
entering fx commands is a joy. no typing, a key combo upens up the command list n they all have descriptions. it’s ultra fast.
just my 2c.

2 Likes

An acoustic guitar

5 Likes

Pan flute, obviously. Duh. :grin:

If digging into iPad and you like elektron then Drambo is a must

5 Likes

Mpc Live for me. Nothing gets closer in terms of portability and power ratio. Sure it is quite big but also reduces the need for cables or headphones

5 Likes

iPad with Loopy Pro + add Digistix 2 or Helium&Chameleon (all available as AUv3) if you want to sequence samples for drums or other instruments

or 1010music Blackbox

1 Like

OP-1 / field

3 Likes

If the goal is to stop your significant other from watching silly movies, nothing beats an acoustic drum kit.

7 Likes

I must give that a shot. Often take MC-101 or Model:Cycles to cafe but feel a bit self-conscious doing it.