Best ‘on the couch’ device for sketching ideas?

an mpc one and a pair of headphones on your lap is a staggering amount of capability

3 Likes

My first thought for this thread was the Polyend Tracker, mainly because I’m mostly into trying to make and perform music live at the moment and I find that’s best if I’m standing at my desk with OT/etc. If I was comfortably sitting down I’d be in a different mode of composition I think, and more into taking time to create intricate patterns and compositions, and the Tracker seems ideal as a dedicated device for that.

The only problem though is that the Tracker doesn’t support stereo samples, and it’s the main reason why I haven’t got one and probably won’t unless they do a new stereo version. I do a lot of field recording and binaural stuff and I’d like to be able to properly use that material.

Rytm, OT, any mpc or others mentioned here i would say will get you pretty far. I find it a matter of taste and preferred workflow.

I would not recommend a TR6s (mentioning this one because its on the pic a couple of posts above) alone for couch jams. I have one, and it’s a great machine, but for me it would be too limited. I see it as a great machine for foundations, but not for creative things.

Are there really people out there chilling on the couch with a massive OT on their lap? :slight_smile:
Doesn’t sound comfy to me.
The only device i have that i can use while sitting around on a couch is the PO-33. Or maybe a Model:Samples.

1 Like

OP-Z with the rumble module is my personal fav.

Such a joyful little device. (build issues aside for some).

1 Like

There you go:

1 Like

Circuit Rhythm or Circuit Tracks fit the bill. Built-in rechargeable batteries, fun interface, and relatively inexpensive.

And there are lots of apps for iPad since you have one. Maybe Korg Gadget, Drambo, or Koala sampler to get you going.

3 Likes

I do this a lot! actually prefer it compared to a tablet with sunvox or laptop. Much more tactile and made me discover some neat OT tricks

1 Like

Not too heavy after 10 minutes?

1 Like

You just need to put it on a necklace like Flavor Flav did with his clock, except Octatrack knows the time.

6 Likes

7 Likes

Yeah boy-eeeee!

5 Likes

Organelle is ideal four couch tinkering….batteries, built in speaker, built in microphone….

1 Like

I understand this feeling but why should we think that about these devices but not an iPad or laptop or even a portable game device? Probably no one else cares.

3 Likes

I have an MPC Live 2 which is great with the speaker, but lately I have taken to the Syntakt with a battery pack (all sits neatly in a little open case)

1 Like

Not at all! My neck kinda hurts after 2hrs though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like a macbook with Reason. The interface is a little strange (the keys are all letters and numbers) but the touch pad under the keyboard lets you control just about everything.

4 Likes

IPad with Gadget is unbeatable. Seriously. Even if you don’t like Gadget’s machines, you can MIDI control other apps like Nave, Sunrizer, or Model D. Endless possibilities.

Edit: Eyeing Circuit Rythm, as it’s like a battery powered Polyend Play that actually samples, at a fraction of the price, what’s not to love about it? :wink:

3 Likes

It’s really not that big IRL, I was actually a little surprised when mine came. It sits quite well over two legs, probably better than my Digitakt which always felt like one side preferred to fall between my legs.

1 Like

Hands down the Synthstrom Deluge. You could write an whole album on it without ever leaving the couch! :wink:

4 Likes