Behringer Plans 40 Eurorack Modules In The Next 2 Years, Priced at $49-99

Ahahah, Far from it ! Less mA means cheaper power supplies :grin:

I had the same issue when I was trying to daisy chain 8 effects pedals off one plug.

Irresponsible.

Anyway, I digress.

BEHRINGER!!!

Sorry, the horse has already been beaten to death in my eyes, so I dont see a need for this thread for myself.

Look, everybody knows that Behringer are not the good guys in the industry, all arguments have been exchanged. Everybody is free to form an opinion and make the decision if it’s worth to support a company like that. Fact is there are a lot of people that can reconcile it with their conscience and buy a Behringer product and they will want a place to discuss and right now every discussion about a Behringer product gets ruined by Anti-Behringer-people repeating the same stuff over and over (not just here but also on reddit and other places).

Id like a Strymon Magneto tape delay and looper. Imagine if Behringer did one for £200. The strymon costs nearly £600.

FWIW I’ll just as easily criticise (and have) Elektron, Roland, Korg or any others in areas where I think they warrant it, I’m pretty sure they can weather it, so I don’t see why Behringer should be any different.

I think Behringer do cop a bit more flack, but you can see why, given their scale of operation.

Just for the fun of it i looked up vintage Roland 100m gear on ebay. Best prices are only something like 6x that of the Behringer, ranging up to 10x plus. Of course the Roland 100m stuff was a larger size. So there’s no enormous barrier for those who want to stick with vintage. Anyone care to guess what will happen to the price of the vintage gear – i can see the arguments for the prices going up / down and staying the same.

Now i’m still wondering what the other 27 units are going to be. The 13 announced so far (and still subject to change), cover the most important of the twenty original Roland 100m, so there are many other modules possible. Behringer so far has stuck with analog component sound generation, so likely the digital ideas suggested above are not on the Behringer plate. (But who knows?)

As far as quality – i only own one piece of Behringer gear, the Neutron. That is as good or better than the Moog stuff i own. And i know it sounds great. So if that is the quality standard for these new Behringer modules i won’t have a problem.

the development costs of small manufacturers are high… a lof of them even assembled by hand themselves in their early days (befaco for example)-
with beringer as competition they will have a hard time to compete… eurorack was kind of a bubble and microcosm outside of the general globalised capitalism, meaning that small enthusiastic people could make a small but running business out of it. These days are over. the established bouthique brands will hopefully survive, but there is no room left for new ones, the entry barrier will be much higher as you will have to develop very specialized stuff to compete.

Also it will have a impact to the diy community. It was part of the fun that you could build a module for cheap and save money, now you will hardly get the parts for the price of the beringer stuff…

but jeahh thats how it goes…

1 Like

A nice thought, but completely untrue. Globalised capitalism is the entire reason you can buy modules from all over the world at the click of a button.
Don’t knock it while you use it…

1 Like

I think the Behringer versions are more likely to be aimed at System 500 buyers than the vintage format Sytem 100m. I was going to get a System 100m set a couple of years back for not much more than I eventually paid for my System 500, truth be told I regret not going for the 100m now, mainly because of the size, and that the 500 VCO has the wrong kind of octave switch which results in the highest octave being audible when switching octaves, kind of a bummer and not very useful. It will be interesting to see if the Behringer VCO behaves like this.

2 Likes

i have to note it somewhere

1 Like

Capitalism rewards companies that can adapt and change. Behringer are the only company who’ve adapted.

I think Behringer is prone toward useful improvements when sensible, rather than straight out component by component cloning. (For example the Behringer Model D.) They will be engineering these contrary to suggestions above, albeit relative to existing standards. Part of the engineering is for cost, and manufacture, and to use prefered suppliers, etc.

Thanks for filling me in on the difference between the Roland 500 and 100 series darenager.

1 Like

Hmm, I’m not so sure, in my experience DIY often does not work out cheaper especially given the wealth of low cost modules from Doepfer and others, by the time you have purchased PCBs, parts, panels, tools, etc. DIY gets expensive fast and takes a lot of time. If you take say 5 hours to build a module and account for the time where you could have been earning even minimum wage then it is easy to see that small run or DIY building isn’t the financial advantage it may first appear to be. You’d probably be (financially) better off doing a bit of overtime and buying something ready built.

Edit: Of course this isn’t to say DIY is pointless, but I never DIY for sake of cost, I do it to learn and to build things how I want them, and often things that are not available pre-built, etc.

1 Like

This whole argument shows off the very best and worst elements of capitalism, from the small cottage industry using global supply chains and distribution to get its products out to the big corporation using its dominance to take control of supply chains and stifle competition (which remains to be conclusively proven in this case).
Real supporters of the free market might be a little worried about Behringer’s behaviour and its implications for competition in the market, but we’ll see soon how worried they should be. It might work out to be a good thing…

sure its not purely about saving costs. but its a part of it. i build quite a big modular which would be unnaffordable for me other wise. if you learn how to source parts by yourself cheaply its really reasonable. Still i wouldnt DIY another VCA for example if the behringer one is like 20 euros more than the parts+pcb+panel.
also i think the beringer ones dont really compare to doeper as they have much more features as the doepfers, which are very puristic.

of course it was using the structures, still eurorack was kind of the equivalent to your local privatly owned corner shop. now the supermarket opens up next to it.

No probs :wink: I think there are a few more differences as well, and of course the sound is a bit different, the vintage 100m sounds better to me, but that is not to say the 500m sounds bad, far from it.

No doubt Behringer has acquired both the 100 and the 500 series, as they do, and will pick and choose between them. I’m sure they will be keeping all the newly hired engineers busy.

ADDED: BTW looking through my older post above, perhaps Behringer is moving into digital stuff now too.

The local corner shop that sells and markets its products globally to a niche market using a lot of the same supply and distribution chains as the supermarket (some of which may be owned by said supermarket).

Respectfully disagree about the cost aspect, but pretty much agree on everything else, and I hope that DIY is always an option we have :thup:

1 Like