Behringer Plans 40 Eurorack Modules In The Next 2 Years, Priced at $49-99

Not small, just not Behringer.

No, they’re still designed with Malekko and have the Malekko logo on them.

1 Like

And this is why it’s so easy to tell that 90% of those people raising the pitchforks in every Behringer thread again and again are just hypocrites with a big hate boner for Behringer…you just dont see them in other threads about clones.

small quirky boutique shop selling a clone of discontinued product for 1000$ -> shut up and take my money!

Behringer cloning a discontinued product at large scale for 300$ -> the end is nigh!

In my opinion this will be good for the consumer and also small companies who are able to adapt. There will be more people with racks and more rackspace to be filled.

4 Likes

Not quite the same, for a number of reasons, many of which have been debated to death by now, but the key points are:

Behringer are solely doing it for the money, they have the opportunity to do it right but choose not to, because why pay for original chips, designs and IP when you can simply steal it safe in the knowledge that you have the money to fight any lawsuit.

Behringer are actively cloning gear that the original manufacturer has either re-issued or has been officially licensed (in the case of for example ARP, Korg and Roland) and on a much larger scale than a boutique or DIY offering.

They have a history of cynically copying other designs and very often at sub par quality, they have a pretty bad track record of their other business practices that people can reasearch on the internet or choose to ignore.

It’s a shame because given that they have acquired some talented designers and have obviously huge resources they could really do a lot better, but if cheap and pretty boring clones of legacy machines is what the market wants then so be it.

So for me it is a bit of a yawn fest, and I don’t like their culture, I’d rather support companies like Korg, Roland, Elektron, TE and smaller manufacturers who are more interesting and less shady.

Edit: I don’t really think that Behringer will harm the wider synth industry too much, and it might actually have a net positive effect.

2 Likes

The ADA, BCR/F and Neutron prove that when they actually put some thought to it they can absolutely nail it.

Yep, the Neutron is probably the most interesting thing they have done recently, had it been from another company I might have picked one up, and truth be told I’d rather pay £100 more for it if it was built better and wasn’t so cheap looking, the colour scheme and font look hard to read and a bit fugly.

I have heard some of the demos of it and it sounds quite nice and has some interesting parameters, but I have also read of firmware and reliability issues which don’t surprise me, to my mind whilst this is not exclusive to low priced gear by any means, it makes me wonder if they had just used better pots and jacks and not rushed it to market with low price the key point it may have been better.

2 Likes

It just struck me how trollingly hilarious it would be if someone cloned the Neutron but fixed the design and used better components, and called it the Protron :rofl:

9 Likes

Following this logic, using Behringer modules you could meet the minimum HP requirements with very few modules which would really annoy people

2 Likes

They could clone the 4u Intellijel cases and make them cheaper. Always wanted one :slight_smile:

I just wish there was a thread about Behringer as a company so that all those social justice warriors could unite and draw some signs or whatnot, instead of steering every thread about a Behringer product into a thread about Behringer the one and only Evil Corp™ in the business.

8 Likes

Yes, that is a spoton comparision in this case. Thanks.

Why not making one yourself? Or is the venting on other people more suitable communication strategy in your case?

In my very humble opinion it should be OK to give opinions about a manufacturer as long as it’s mostly stating facts (btw sources could be a nice thing to add to backup a statement) and not repeated too often.

Let’s just avoid any pointless fight and remain friendly, please.

6 Likes

Back in the day, several of the “big brands” stole. ARP stole the Moog Ladder filter. Roland did the same.

Curtis chips where at least “inspired” by the SSM chips. Dave Rossum had the idea, and Sequential used SSM chips before they went to curtis. There is more to the story but dont remember all the details.

Not that this excuses all of Behringers cloning, but i dont think they neccesary deserves all the hate they get. And i too think its strange that they are cloning stuff that is available now. Like the Korg ARP stuff.

Didnt see that much hate when cyclone made the TT-303. They even copied the chassis. Is it because they are a small company?

3 Likes

If we make a thread for the Behringer haters, will they stay on it? My bet is they can’t help themselves and will still pollute all threads about Behringer instruments with their whining.

The arguments against Behringer are always the same (many times debunked) ”facts” spread by Behringer haters in these threads. It doesn’t make for a good discussion.

1 Like

Bottom line is buy what you want and don’t care what other people say, it is the beauty of a free market and democratic capitalist economy.

Edit: it is just a discussion about synths on a synth forum - are we all supposed to share the same view?

2 Likes

Surely this should say it all…this put no one out of the boutique pedal business…or had any effect on roland/boss…they were dirt cheap.

I bought a behringer filter for $40.00 it lasted 6 months…i couldnt do without a filter pedal so i bought an Electro Harmonix with cv control… the beringer sold me on the EH pedal…mmmmm…you get what you pay for.

OH and if there was actual money in euro dont you think Roland would be still churning out Bitraizers and Torcidos like hotcakes?

1 Like

Theses modules are great, but they made one crucial mistake here: 400mA modules is a big no-no.

2 Likes

So true. I cant bring my self to case mine for that reason… so they just sit on my desk…

1 Like

Elitist!
:wink: