Anyma Phi

There is complexity but it’s not overwhelming. You need to dig in some, but once you do, you start to pick apart the separate modules and what they can do, and you get some flow to the sound design. It still will blow my mind once i hear the sounds, the whole is definitely more than a sum of the parts. It helps me to go over the summary sheets on the three sorts of modules toward the end of the manual.

These summaries are similar to the summary i posted up thread, just up to date.

I find the factory patches are more just examples, ideas to start a design from. The AP is really wide open to all sorts of intricacy.

The fact that it’s both a synth (with extra strength in voicing alternate controllers) and an effects box, with the stereo inputs, and is also capable to blend both these features simultaneously — that is one of its stronger features. I’ve been thinking of other equipment that can function similarly. The Zoia comes to mind. The AP has a more conventional UI, and has the computer based editor. The AP is pretty deep, i’d have to compare closely, but perhaps it is a little less extensive with its effects. Anyone have another example of a synth/effects hybrid box ?

The summaries in the manual shows the three groups of modular functions. Oscillators (page 72), Effects (page 106), and Modulators (page 131). I’ve made a lot less use of the Modulators so far, that’s where i am concentrating at the moment to learn more of how they can be used. They are:

Envelope, LFO, DAHDSR Envelope, Advanced LFO, XForm, Clamp, Wrap, Fold, Interpolate, Interpolate (4 point), Calculate, Curve, Quantize, Smooth, Accumulate, Impulse, Count, Time, Latch, Minimum, Maximum, Envelope Follower.

This allows for extensive alteration. The Calculate is for instance a four variable math equation, that you get to define. How exactly to use all this i’m still working out.

1 Like

The graphics are not what I like, but i’d buy it now anyways, now that I’ve got experience and heard what i can do. (Especially for the price.)

The problem area is 2.5 x 4.5 inches in size. A sticker perhaps ? I’ve discovered that for the most part the names on the front, are just names to denote generalized functionality. Once you get underneath you can decide how you might want to group and map and actually implement that named functionality.

2 Likes

So here’s my (best effort) list of stuff not yet implemented. Some of this may be implemented later, some of it might not be:

• Arpeggiator (I’m guessing like other stuff this will include multiple options.)
  • Wavetables – This may include four parts: WTBL Wavetable oscillator, WMAP 2D wavetable oscillator, WLIN Interpolated wavetable oscillator, WTx4 Four-voice wavetable oscillator
  • Meta-Exciter – Advanced exciter collection for resonators
  • Brass – Advanced brass model
  • Additional Ladder Filter Models CORRECTION: Looks like Ladder Filters are all done.
  • Comb Filter
  • Formant Filter
  • Parametric EQ
  • Flanger
  • Compressor
  • Limiter

That this list is long is no indication of a lack of features on the AP. It’s just that Aodyo is ambitious.

ADDED: I’ve pretty much got designing patches with Morph down. Worth the small amount of time to use this feature. This was added later in development, nice how quickly you can get to the alternate settings.

I need to consider more carefully sound design with this specific feature in mind.

MORE: It’s still early days, but opening some more possibilities, with use of the external input.

I’m feeding the audio output from an Aerophone (pick a voice) into the audio input of the AP, and putting that on one of the two buses. Then i feed the MIDI data from the Aerophone to create audio on the other bus. So now I’ve got the same notes from alternate sources, on the alternate buses.

You can do a similar thing, by setting some oscillators on the AP, on one bus, and the rest on the other bus. The difference is the addition of external oscillator voices to the AP, and that the MIDI data between the two can potentially be different.

So for instance you could split a keyboard and feed some notes as external audio and different notes as MIDI data to drive the AP.

Back to what i’ve done with audio from the Aerophone. The AP can apply very different effects to the separate audios, and you can also apply any of the effects that works across the two buses. Cross-fading is good. And in addition to the two cross-faders, there is also a cross-folder, a ring-mod, an XOR modulator, and the comparison modulator, that all work between the buses.

2 Likes

I’m a bit curious about this synth. Is there someone familiar with orac on organelle here ? Is it comparable?

1 Like

I don’t have an organelle, but I did look into Orac. Based on what I’ve read about orac, The architecture of Anyma Phi is kind of similar to the ‘parallel’ routing of orac. This gives you a bit of a flavour of that

However the things not clear from that are

• the 5 ‘effects slots’ (each of which can be different flavours of VCF, VCA, resonators, etc) may be on either the ‘main’ or ‘aux’ audio path
  • the oscillators include many more options than you might think, including 3 physical modelling
  • not shown are the 16 modulator slots (each with many options starting with LFO, ADSR, DAHDSR) and the 32 patch cables (‘mappings’) to connect modulators, effects, and oscillators.
3 Likes

That is a good comparison TNYLBLNQTT. There are a lot of similarities. I’d guess a lot would come down to the detail, the specific modules, how they sound and how it all works, and cost. The Pure Data interface would certainly be nice if one is equipped and ready to use it.

There’s someone around Elektronauts who knows Orac well, @thetechnobear – not that he needs to comment.

1 Like

I dont really know much about Anyma Phi, but don’t really see much similarity with Orac?

the parallel routing in orac is more like ‘multi-timbral’ … since each chain can be a polyphonic voice, or contain separate sequencers etc.

as far as the architecture diagrams above show, this feels more like traditional parallel routing, where a voice can be split down different paths (e.g. filters/fx)

however, im not overly familar with Anyma Phi so may have missed something …

it does look interesting …and I love physical modelling, and some how missed this one :slight_smile:
that said, it looks very similar to Elements/Braids which I already have in Eurorack as well as with orac …

pity its monophonic, feels like a nice poly physical modelling synth is still due …

4 Likes

My mistake for making that comparison then, sorry.

1 Like

no worries, as i said, please to hear about Anyma Phi, as some how I’d ‘missed’ it… always interested in such things.

looks to be very nice, the modulators look really nice - and if its anything like Elements then I suspect these will really ‘unlock’ the potential of AP.

2 Likes

Great video, thanks!

There is literally a ‘Laraaji’ patch! :rofl: (check him out if you’re not familiar)

The GAS for this one is slowly starting to creep up. Going to take a deep dive in the manual and really consider how it may fit with my setup. I’m especially interested in what’s possible with the FX. Excited to see more demos :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’ve wondered why that patch color is green and not orange:

Oh well, that’s easy enough to change.

There is also an El Harrachi.

I’m not sure if Kokomo is after the British band, or The Beach Boys, or the Mamas and the Papas, or something else.

ADDED: Chuck Berry? No particular place to go, So we parked way out on the Kokomo

Mine arrived today. I haven’t been able to try it out yet because it was delivered in pouring rain and the doorbell was not rung (even though I was home), so it sat out for a few hours in the heaviest downpour of the year. It seemed fine, but the box was sooooooooaked, so I’m going to let it dry out for a while before I plug it in.

I’m only really commenting because I imagine if I’ve received mine (I ordered four hours before the deadline), then probably everyone’s should have been shipped by now.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking it likely wouldn’t be an enormous change to create a second MIDI channel in the Setup menu, add a second VelEnv, and provide separate MIDI hooks to oscillators.

I don’t recall seeing a screen shot of the editor elsewhere, so if you haven’t seen it yet …

The general layout is the four separately scrollable columns for General, Oscillators, Effects and Modulators, with the horizontally scrollable box at the bottom for Mappings, and the list of the patches. The Editor can be set to full screen.

The AP isn’t a synth for everyone, though it has a pretty wide range of functionality, it knows its turf, and defends that turf fairly well.

ADDED: I’m guessing the fifth empty vertical slot on the right is for the arpeggiator options. How about one option that lets you set a key and scale, and trigger the arpeggiator chord off the note you play ? As i said up thread, i think there may be multiple arpeggiator modules that you can pick between.

ADDED: TIP —The controls shown on the screen above in alternate colors (red in this case) have mappings. If you use the ‘alternate mouse click’ on those controls, you can list detail and go to those mappings. Also the alternate click will let you add mappings to any other control. You have up to 32 mappings so there is a fair amount to work with.

1 Like

I got thinking from reading the Add an oscillator to your synth, cheaply thread. I already mentioned feeding the audio from my Aerophone. Things like the NTS-1 seem like they would be good options too. The two separate buses and the effects options give lots of possibilities. Anyone else have some other ideas.

1 Like

Six new patches on Index of /anymaphi/factory-bank

Haven’t tried them yet, literally just noticed them.

1 Like

Some nice stuff in there.

I really like Et reFlute. Like i’d hoped the AP is great for wind MIDI.

Organic; it’s as you might expect from the name. Very nice.

Kalinka. That’s a Russian folk song. Listening to this i thought of a demo video done for the Osmose.

Piezo Polyrhythm. I immediately dug into this to understand the patch. All the new patches are good examples.

2 Likes

So far as I can tell from a recent post on their forum a lot of it is based on braids code. Look for modules prefixed ‘artin’. However the MI licence forbids them from making explicit references in the product and manual.

1 Like

The AP works nicely with acoustic instruments, sax and recorders for me so far. Will try electric guitar next. Having this on a mixer aux send would make sense too. I’ve sent it piano sounds as well.

Aodyo likes dropping references to various other peripherally related things, i’ve mentioned a few up thread. Emil Artin is a mathematician from early 20th century.

3 Likes

Just discovered this as well I tried the Piezo patch with some external inputs: a Wurlitzer electronic piano, analog mono synth, miked mini grand piano, a metronome. Especially interesting to me is the “chaos” macro knob. This sounds totally unlike any digital effects box or pedal and very unique. Agreed what you said about aux send, it works well as a send FX.

2 Likes

i’ve been making patches using the Envelope Follower placed at the audio input. It’s fun to control all sorts of things from that, like run a sample into the audio, and affect the oscillators in some way from the envelope follower. Or you can switch that around the other direction.

Make sure you get the attenuverter in Mappings off zero.

BTW: The Envelope Follower is very sensitive, and the rise and fall adjustments are useful, for how tightly the envelope follows.