Add an oscillator to your synth, cheaply

I’ve been pondering adding another oscillator to my Moog Sirin using one of these listening on the same MIDI channel as Sirin (sequenced from Digitone): Hπ Instruments | FLASH

Since they’re out of stock, I bought one of these cheap (40 bucks) locally: Ploytec πλ² (midipowered) and πλ² Leukos (USB MIDI) - duophonic mini synthesizers

Connected to the Sirin’s VCF In, turned up the external (Glide + VCO1 Level)
The default setting is some sort of bass an octave lower than the Sirin, and it makes every patch sound amazing :open_mouth: instant sub-oscillator.

Full of ideas for Retrokits RK-002 hacks now…

7 Likes

Would this be possible in reverse for a minitaur, eg an octave up?:slight_smile:

Ooh, that’s really temping, for both the Minotaur and the Typhon.

Congrats on getting them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the pointer!

Can it be set as a noise oscillator?

I haven’t got mine set up yet, so just going off the docs still. That said, yes, in the context of an upper split in the bass drum mode, but it doesn’t seem super convenient for it. However, there are two separate bitcrushers (one at the oscillator level and one at the filter level) plus an analog saturator, so you should be able to get something pretty crunchy out to roughen up cleaner sounds.

1 Like

If you really want just a noise oscillator, this is a clever piece, if not cheap: Hirlostek
Or just plug in an old radio to VCF Ext and tune to No Station :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, that’s slick!

I was considering one of those small Kong NTS modules for this exact purpose. How does this compare?

I’ve used an NTS-1 with my sirin, but felt like I needed to use it for fx, so ran the sirin into it. Need to try switching it around.

Sequencing both from OT. A catch mode for the nts-1 would have made it far more useable.

• maybe I should just buy 2? :thinking:
1 Like

It would be nice if the NTS was polyphonic.

1 Like

One thing I like is, no temptation to fiddle with the PL-2, it just does the oscillator, with no settings or anything to set up.

3 Likes

That does sound nice. I actually took the nts-1 out of my setup because it was an extra thing to fiddle with.