Anyma Phi

Firmware and editor updates (pre-release) -> Aodyo Community — Anyma Phi v0.8.90 pre-release update

1 Like

Thanks for being the eyes and ears here bibenu !

For anyone wondering, like i was, the update preserves any patches you’ve been working on, especially if you’re on a Windows box and couldn’t save your patches – until now, patch and bank export works with the new update.

This update seems to have cured all the annoying little bugs. Must say no bugs so far are fatal, so that’s nice, we are beta testers of a sort aren’t we.

Have fun.

1 Like

Two questions for folks who have this already. First, I’m looking to fit this into a relatively tight setup, but I can’t figure out how big it is — what are the dimensions? Second, while I know it can do a ton of other stuff, how is it for drums? I’m thinking of swapping out an MBase I’ve never really gelled with for this, and while it’s a wildly more flexible instrument, knowing I could get some good kicks out of it when needed would make it an obvious choice.

226 x 130 x 65 mm - depth 130 is approximate … doesn’t allow for the 1/4 inc jacks protruding of course.

1 Like

The drum models/oscillators are the 808 emulation from MI’s Braids. I don’t know if that translates to ‘good’ in your world and I haven’t tried other oscillators as drums. The 4 drum oscillators are very flexible regarding pitch though.

1 Like

As far as drums there are the four models bibenu mentions, but keep in mind it’s a mono synth, so you need to play tricks, so i’d not recommend it for that.

But i have used the drum models in other patches i’ve made, as one of the three oscilators.

1 Like

I definitely wouldn’t be using it as an only drum module — it’d be paired with my Nord Drum 2, partially as a way to get the kick pulled out to a separate input, either with a Nord kick hard-panned away from the other channels, or with this as the kick and the Nord doing other stuff.

I haven’t seen any drum-centric demos online yet, so if anyone who has one had time to record a quick clip, I’d be much obliged.

Thank you! Will check, but I think that’s doable.

So last week for fun i wrote a small python program to generate random Anyma Phi patches. It only generates a text description that you enter by hand. (Maybe someday i will create loadable binaries, or something to mix up two patches.) It generates everything right down to mixes, modulations and mappings.

What i found though is that less is more, keeping things simple makes better patches. Reassuring if you do patches by hand. So back to the drawing board.

3 Likes

For those interested in grabbing an Anyma Phi, I got an email from Aodyo:

“Anyma Phi is in the hands of all Kickstarter and Indiegogo backers! Even if our initial batch of Anyma Phis is almost gone, there are some additional units available on our online store. Hurry up!” (emphasis mine)

They also list some resellers that currently or should soon have stock; I’ve seen the Phi listed at Juno.

1 Like

I’m expecting mine from thomann on Thursday

2 Likes

The part that i glommed onto in that email was the part at the end:

Stay tuned, there is more coming soon :star_struck:

1 Like

4 more patches today …

Any demos showcasing the more creative/experimental sound design potential of this?

2 Likes

So take a look at how #18 Piezo Cymbal is constructed. Normally on a 'piezo" patch either Main or Aux Mix or both has Audio In turned up and the source set to In.R, where the internal piezo mic “lives”.

But not in this patch. Both mixer audio ins are set to zero, and connected to noise. So how does this work ?

Well this patch instead uses an Envelope Follower Modulation that’s connected to In.R, that opens up the piezo sound, to be revoiced.

I’ve done this before, and it’s a nice trick, whether or not you use the piezo, or plug in external audio. It’s even possible to use the two audio inputs, follow the envelope of one and modulate the audio of the other. (Unfortunately the input is a single stereo jack so i don’t think you can have both the piezo and an external audio channel, without a hack.)

What I’m really waiting for is a way to use the piezo input to trigger the ADSRs. But I guess an envelope follower on the piezo is kind of related, if not as flexible.

I know you know this bibenu, but for others following along, the Envelope Follower does have two parameters, Rise and Fall, that can both be set and modulated. This does allow you to change the “attack” and “release” on the envelope follower. I’ve in particular changed the Fall to give the Envelope Follower more of a tail. And of course the audio followed affects the “Sustain” level.

Then of course any of this can be run into reverb or other effects to stretch things out too.

2 Likes

ordered one of these fellas and gonna do some experimental stuff soon :slight_smile:

/edit

As promised: A little impro with the „PIEZOLYRHITHM“ preset, played with a LØM Geofón as Line In microphone

I was not really sure whether to keep it or not, since, theoretically, it is not really far away from the MI Elements, but actually it is really compact and inviting for experimemtation. The Line In is really great and I am not really bothered by the mono architecture since I have some Eurorack stuff that would easily hide away its mono nature by stereo effects processing etc.

I did not even dig into the software so far, which is even more inviting to program crazy stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some fantastic patches available here - Anymated Synthesis – Broken Gadget

1 Like

Aodyo is going to be at Superbooth. ( I think they got added to the list fairly recently. )

Not expecting a new announcement, but it’s possible, like more info about the arpeggiator they are adding. Nothing new at their website right at this moment.