Absolute best headphones for mixing

Maybe my studio monitors have been spoiling me, but I can’t mix on headphones. I have some drop 6XX (same as senheiser HD 650) and the sony mdr 7506, and I reference with them, but I can’t trust them for mixing. I have to take them off and switch to my studio monitors (a pair of barefoot footprint 02s) when I’m dialing in compression etc. or I just cant hear it as well. So…

I was wondering what you all think the absolute best headphones for mixing are. I just finished the last harvest on the farm this year and wanted to treat myself, so my budget is anything under $2k, which should be enough right?! I was thinking I might try something totally crazy like the hedd heddphones, but wanted to ask all of you here first… I have pipe dreams of taking my laptop onto the couch with the headphones plugged in and being able to mix late at night instead of having to do absolutely every move in the studio,.

1 Like

Please check out the linked thread, which this question will probably get merged into.

I’d start out by echoing @Craig and recommend an entry level pair of planar headphones. Since his favorites by LCD are no longer available, I got the Hifiman HE400se. They are easily the best headphones I’ve ever owned, a big step above the AKG K240 Mk2s which were probably my best prior headphones. The AKGs are good, but the Hifiman headphones are better, less expensive, and seem more robustly built. My AKGs failed when a plastic piece that connects the metal headband to the earcups failed. Plastic isn’t necessarily a dealbreaker - high performance polymers exist, but AKG doesn’t seem to use them.

I’m personally reluctant to spend more than $300 based only on recommendations (exception: Sony WH-1000XM4, but I bought those for listening, not production or mixing. Also, my last employer paid for them as a WFH expense). My process was to buy the HE400se and get familiar with them. I can’t find any faults beyond the very short cable (good for listening at the computer, less good for synthing), so I’m unlikely to upgrade to the more expensive models any time soon.

2 Likes

It’s hard to call any pair of headphones the best because of individual preferences and needs, but I love my pair of LCD-X’s and they’re respected as high end studio cans. I also have the 7506’s and HD650’s and the LCD-X’s are at another level in terms of sound reproduction. Would certainly put on your short list as long as you don’t mind the size and weight.

4 Likes

Depends on what you’re going for - if you’re going to be using them for long periods of time you need something comfortable. It also needs as flat a response as possible - for extra points you can invest in Sonarworks SoundID Reference which will apply an EQ correction curve if the pair you pick is listed. Honestly don’t get anything unless you can try them on for a bit and see if there’s something uncomfortable about them because you’ll probably be wearing them for long periods of time.

I use Beyerdynamic DT-1770s and before that was using DT770s. I enjoy them, I know what to expect.

i am also on the same quest and about to finalize it with AKG K371 after using beyerdynamic dt 770 pro 250ohm for last 8 years.

I use the beyer dt 990 pro, not sure if it’s the best at all, but it’s very comfortable to work with and the built quality is nice. Also very affordable.

2 Likes

I love the AKG K702, also they have become very cheap.

2 Likes

seconding the Hifiman HE400se’s they’re really really good

1 Like

In that price range it’s really important to listen to various options yourself. It’s worth taking s trip to a specialized store for. The differences in sound signature are huge. If you want to go for something that is as neutral as possible I’d have a look at Focal Clear to begin with.

Imho if your budget is 2k then you have to look at higher end Focal, LCD, hifiman, the heddphones etc. (although they are really really big. Ridiculously big really. Haven’t heard them unfortunately)

I got a pair of Focal Elegia in the end (discontinued) because i really needed closed back at the time and it was my max budget. Heard the Clear and ooph. Really good but: best to listen. Advice isn’t going to help really. It would even be better to look at some of the sites that do proper testing of a lot of headphones (not rtings!) And choose based on measurements.

1 Like

Ah, the LCD-X, I forgot about those, I added them to my short list, thanks for the recommendation (and comparison to the other headphones I have)! How is the bass compared to the hd650s? That is where I have the most trouble with the 650s…

1 Like

Unfortunately I live out in the middle of nowhere and don’t go on many vacations or trips as there are too many things to take care of on the farm. But I think I am picking someone up from the airport in seattle in october so maybe I can fit something in and make can make the 16hr drive worth it lol.

2 Likes

Nice :slight_smile: . Yeah if the possibility is there, i can recommend it. If you go for as neutral as possible sites with measurements can help. But if you are picky about what you like (maybe slightly bass heavy to get a better grip on that range) then listening is key.

Advice for sound quality and signature of a headphone and monitors for that natter, is just too subjective and personal (imho :wink: )

1 Like

The bass on the LCD-X is much better controlled than the HD650, and extends lower. The HD650 also skews warm and dark, so that’s something you have to take into account when mixing. Something else to keep in mind is possibly budgeting for a headphone amp as well. A lot of headphone amp circuits built into interfaces and inexpensive mixers are going to hobble the performance of your headphones. I’d guess that you may not be hearing what the 300 ohms HD650 is capable of sounding like without a good choice in a dedicated amp. High impedance headphones in particular can have problems with inexpensive opamp circuits.

As @DaveMech advises, I’d be looking at high end cans considering you have the Barefoot monitors. You’re probably not going to be happy with lower end cans if that’s your reference. Auditioning is really the best thing you can do, although it may be hard depending on where you’re located. Specs are mostly worthless in my experience as a recovering headfi nerd.

2 Likes

You fella’s are gonna laugh at me but the open back Presonus HD7’s (with a little bit of practice/referencing) are pretty good.

I find getting bass levels set to be a struggle when mixing on closed back headphones.

2 Likes

Would something like the shitt magni heresy do the trick? I think I have one in storage somewhere and I could solder up a cable for it to put it between my big six and the headphones if you think it would actually help.

1 Like

The Big Six has a respectable headphone amp and I consider it generally ok to drive the LCD-X’s if not optimal. If you have that Magni laying around, I’d give it a try with your HD6XX’s.

edit: @Karl_Joseph Most of headphones mentioned in this thread are very respectable and better than what 99% of people listen to music on. If you find something that works for you, it’s a great headphone. Closed back cans mostly sound a bit off to me, but if you have to shut out noise, it’s the better choice.

1 Like

…i get decent results with the actual pro x dt 700 and dt 770, same but open cans, from beyerdynamic…that’s total reference level…with very good universal impedance…

and they serve me well and all the way…truu pro results…but they’re also good fun and not too expensive…while u sound more like top notch hi end, no matter what…

so, i’d say…trust ur guts and go for those heddheddphones…try to test their comfort upfront…their sonic truu reference response should be that top notch level ur looking for…
but also check if their cabeling has jacks or are at least serviceable somehow…
don’t spent a fortune on headphones that die off sooner or later because of a broken cable contact…open cans with fast exchangeable cable length, modern universal impedance , absolute full range top to bottom, same response in loud as in silent mode are essential checkboxes if u really wanna invest in such headphones…

those i have in use do so…and they’re surprisingly cheap…top notch allround quality for under 300 bux…!!!

so be aware of the fact that there are many wannabees out there, in the hi price segment that can’t keep their promises…
and once ur at that level, keep in mind, even the absolute best headphones won’t do their trick if only the headphone amp sux dix…

1 Like

My Fuck Schiit Stack. The Schiit isn’t strictly necessary for the HE400se, but it allows me to drive them louder than the M4 can go. (Also, those are 20 year old 20’ Radio Shack coax RCA cables back there. :sweat_smile:)

5 Likes

Hmm, leaning towards the LCD-X (2021 version) after a bunch of research. But I am going to wait and see how people like the mm-500 once they are available later this month before I make any decisions.

2 Likes

6XX with sonarworks is still the best for me.

3 Likes