Recommend some mixing headphones for house/techno with Digitakt/Digitone?

Hey everyone,

I’m fairly new to music prod, and am looking to invest in some fairly decent mixing headphones. (I know monitor speakers are preferred for mixing, but that’s not viable for me.)

Right now I have some ~£50 Sennheisters. I’m finding that when I mix on those, save my work and then listen on my ~£120 Final Audio IEMs, it sounds a lot more muddy and bassey, so I’m looking for something I can “trust”.

I’ve done some research and it seems a bit of a rabbit hole once you get into the audiophile detail, but some of the suggestions that keep coming up are:

• ATH M50x (to a lesser extent the M40x too)
  • Sennheister HD560S
  • Beyerdynamic DT 880t
  • AKG K361

(Sidenote: I read an interesting review which trashed the M50x, despite them otherwise seeming to be quite well-loved.)

Much appreciated!

Previously on Elektronauts:

4 Likes

Thank you. Clearly I have a lot of bedtime reading ahead of me. Do you have a personal preference/opinion?

lots of threads discussing headphones here, you can probably find them with a simple search, for example:

Headphones for Producing / Mixing

Headphone Recommendations?

Favorite Headphones

Headphones for mixing that can take a beating as well

etc. etc. etc.

I’d say that whichever you choose from the top recommendations would probably be good if you feel comfortable with them and spend enough time to learn their sound and how it translates, I love the Sonarworks ReferenceID I’ve got last year which can tell me instantly the difference between my dt770/990 against a “flat curve”, so I recommend trialing it after getting any of them to see if you find it useful.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. Yes I’m afraid I was guilty of asking before searching. Must drive the mods crazy. Currently sifting through those other threads. Seeing a lot of love for the Beyer 770s.

Sony MDR-7506. Tried and true design.

yeah they are not the flattest but they have their advantages, closed back is great for noisy environment and the 770 isolation is top notch, also they are very robust so they can take abuse if you’re kind of like me dropping them 10 times a day :smiley:

however if you can afford working with open back I’d say try open back first, my 990s are much flatter then the 770 out of the box so that’s something you should consider as well.

lots of Sennheisers love here as well, but the only Sennheisers I had are shitty HD215 which are horrible, but the HD600/HD650 seems great…

I’ll give you the advice that someone gave me that finally made mixing on headphones not totally suck: go with planar magnetic headphones.

There is actually a really good podcast episode on mixing with headphones (the absolute best I have ever heard). If you want a quick summary of it the host also made a short YouTube video: https://youtu.be/Rgno6hl29o0

1 Like

Thanks, not heard of those, will go check them out.