Closed Back Headphones to replace my Bose QC15?

Hi all,
Do not have a huge budget and yes I know, Bose are NOT meant to be used for mixing… Although I have gotten used to them :slight_smile:
I do not have the option to try any as the nearest shop to do so is around 300kms from home…
Any advice would be most welcome.
Many thanks

Edit: I know there are threads on headphones but budget wise, I am out of this league :slight_smile:

I had QC15. I now have Sony WH-1000XM4. The sound is better and the noise cancellation is probably better also, and it is wireless. I still wouldn’t use it for mixing but it is great for listening and for movies. Only drawback for me is that it gets a bit sweaty in summer. Not sure if it is in your budget but I think it is comparable.

[Edit: I actually still have the QC15 around, though the earpads are deteriorating. I use them with noisy kitchen appliances.]

1 Like

Hahaha!!! That’s what those poor QC15 are down to…
I actually have gotten used to them while mixing as I know them pretty well.
Sony are a bit on the expensive side for me…

1 Like

Then maybe Sony MDR-7506 (but no noise cancellation).

1 Like

Was looking at these, also at AKG K361, ATH M40x, in the line of these.
Circumaural and closed back.

Sony MDR-7506

I hated these because of the treble bump, but I’m particularly sensitive to that. I went (gosh, almost 20 years ago?) to a set of Beyerdynamic DT250-250s and never looked back. Earpads and headbands are replaceable, too, though they cost a bit more overall than the 7506. I’ve also really liked the AKG k371 (but no velour earpads), and of course the DT770-80s.

I’d like to try a set of ATH-M50s at some point, but just haven’t had the chance.

Usually, when a maker has two models at a similar size and pricepoint, you get better driver matching in the “nicer” pair (e.g. k371 vs k361, ATH-M50 vs M40) or the nicer pair has better bass response; rtings.com does a decent job trying to measure them in various use cases.

1 Like

There is actually a review from a guy regarding K371 vs K361 and it seems to go in favour of the K361. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV0NLLmx8kQ

I had a nice set of Sennheiser a while back (cannot remember which though…) and it was so hard to get used to these vs my Bose.

Headphones are highly subjective, so take what anyone says (even me) with a large grain of salt and look for rigorous measurements when you can find them. That said, the k361 is more bass-light than the k371. Some people like that, but I find AKGs tend to be bass-light in the first place. The k361 has more of AKGs 7-8k treble spike in it, too, that I can’t stand. The k371 sounds closer to a Fletcher-Munson curve that is right for the levels I want to listen to me.

YMMV and pick what sounds good, but give yourself the opportunity to return it if you don’t like it.

1 Like

Well in the end I went for an AKG K361 and I am happily surprised to be honest.
It will take time to get used to this new set of headphones but I have to say it is pretty neutral. I had a Sennheiser HD8 DJ when I used to DJ and I much prefer this set of AKG. Did a bit of research online, listened to a lot of good (and bad) reviews, tests etc…
Time will tell but I am surprisingly surprised :slight_smile:

I have beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X and I think I’m happy with it.

I’m rude:

Not at all, to the contrary :slight_smile:
I have spent a lot of time on (some of) these threads but my budget was key to deciding. And seeing the price a set of headphones could reach, price was decisive in my opening a new thread.
As I said, I was coming from a set of Bose QC15, which I was used to and actually translated to not (so) terrible mixes :slight_smile: I believe listening to music a lot on these as well as mixing on them helped :slight_smile: (This post is spot on with regards to this: Most accurate headphones for mixing if… - #6 by VibKo)
As I said, time will tell but I am surprised so far :slight_smile: