Ableton Live 11

I started out that way and put off buying one for a long time. I have since repented. :rofl:

The monitor is closer to being equidistant from my head - instead of the far left and right edges being a good bit farther away. So easier to see. This particular monitor has 1ms latency as it is a gaming monitor, and is hooked up via HDMI. Because it is hooked to a laptop, I canā€™t use the 144Hz refresh rate that a direct connect to a video card would have, but even at the default rate, so it has no noticeable latency in Live.

It is plenty wide enough for that, I use it that way when taking session riffs to arrangement view for song layout.

1 Like

A super super useful M4L utility I found. One thing I do is start with a messy/busy drum rack, extract it to individual pads, and Ableton does not natively hold on to your muted notes. But for nowā€¦ thereā€™s this.

Hmmm, it looks like the new Apple goggles might be a better alternative to a curved display. And one that doesnā€™t take up any space :no_mouth:

2 Likes

Maybe. The problem I have with VR glasses is that the actual eye focus point is very close, but the implied focus point is far away. So it is fatiguing to use. It is probably possible to train your mind & eye muscles, but that may take some time.

If the headset is actually translucent, then the problem will be made worse. If mixed reality is always piped in from the cameras, it could work.

(I may frequently, vehemently, disagree with Apple and their design decisions, but they generally arenā€™t foolish. The headset will probably work well for most people, or be a precursor to a model that solves major problems but needs to be cost-reduced)

3 Likes

Given that they had a segment in their presentation about trying to prevent myopia in people (apparently 50% of the worldā€™s population will have it by 2050, yikes), I imagine the lenses built into the thing might help with focusing your eyes further away. And no, the thing is not translucent at all, all youā€™re looking at is 4K-ish screens.

1 Like

We should probably move to DM or the WWDC thread before the mods get annoyed. :innocent:

1 Like

I used Acid (the DAW) because they gave it away at basically every street corner. The jump to Ableton was a smooth one. Tried Reason for a few months, and really liked the offerings, but maybe they tried cramming too much on the screen at once. Donā€™t know, get kind of claustrophobic when I use it.

2 Likes

Asd (Ableton Sound Design) has another brilliant tutorial over on their YouTube.

Grab a tissue for this one it gets emotional šŸ„²

7 Likes

Syncing question here:

I am recording what I play live on a TD-3-MO directly onto an SD card in my mixer. I want to bring these audio files into Ableton Live and add drums and percussion and do some arranging.

How do I get the timing right on the synth part (i.e., the TD-3-MO part) that I bring in? Iā€™m recording at 120 bpm, so I am setting the same BPM in Ableton. But since the start of the recorded track isnā€™t the exact starting point of the recording, Iā€™m not sure how to line up the audio waveform with my other percussion tracks. I can look visually and see the waveform, but since Iā€™m side-chaining it isnā€™t always clear visually where the downbeat is, or an easy to spot transient.

How does one go about doing this?

maybe record a bar or two with very short plucks, like in metronome style, would make it really easy to align and you can trim it later

doesnā€™t matter if you do it at the end or at the beginning btw

Interested in this, how does it fatigue your eyes?

I thought with VR each eye looks at a different point, so the actual focus point would be somewhere in reality, behind the goggles.

I can definitely understand how having screens strapped to your face could be fatiguing though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Very interesting stuff, but I refuse to sit there and listen to someone tell me I wonā€™t be the next Fitnessā€¦whom ever they are.

1 Like

I was all ready for this to end in ā€œCongratulations!ā€

1 Like

Maybe Iā€™m dense, but thereā€™s all these looong videos on Drift, and I just want to find out how to configure MPE properly. Is the pitch bend range limited to an Octave? How come when I set in to 12 semis and set my Linnstrument the same it does some wacky uncorrelated bend?

Not sure if you meant that as a joke. But THEY ARE Fitnessss.

I had to go trial-and-error with the settings in drift and linnstrument to make it work. If you still have trouble let me know and I will look up what I found to be useable settings

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

Donā€™t worry, Abletonā€™s in there.

Oh boy this oneā€™s tasty. Watched Yan Cookā€™s latest video and he was using Abletonā€™s Shaper tool to manipulate the filter of one of his Simpler devices. Canā€™t believe I didnā€™t think about exploring these midi tools more. That set me on a journey, and one thing I suggest is using the Envelope Follower and experimenting with that. Want a more pronounced Side Chain effect? Slap the follower on the kick channel and map it to the volume of a channel/device or whatever. Slap it on one instrument and have it modulate a different one. That along with the Shaper tool offers up a whole world of possibilities!
Pity you canā€™t modulate the clipā€™s Transient Envelope. That would be really wild.
Link to Cookā€™s video. I recommend (again) watching some of his videos. He rarely uses anything else than Abletonā€™s devices, so you donā€™t have to worry how to make something work that you watched because you donā€™t have the VST (unless you need the Suite edition).

10 Likes