Ableton Live 11

I did do a search on Elektronauts for computer monitors specifically and didn’t come up with anything. I only asked here because, with Live (and Bitwig) having a single ultra wide monitor makes the most sense to me.

1 Like

i’m gonna bump it

If you want crisp text, this is a interesting (but fairly long) post. It says it is aimed at programmers, but that is simply because they work with text a lot.

1 Like

I’m using a Dell 34" Curved Gaming Monitor - S3422DWG - WQHD (3440x1440 pixels). The current price is the same I paid, and I’ve tracked it on camelcamelcamel - this is as low as this monitor gets in price. ($389US). There is a dim downlight on the bottom of the monitor is perfect for those late night mixing sessions as my keyboard isn’t illuminated.

It is amazing.

11 Likes

And that’s a perfect example of why wide is better than x2 monitors… the seamless extended window for arrangement view.

That beats side scrolling any day.

The dual windows in Live are not always needed. The workflow is intended to create in Session View and then finish in Arrangement View.

So you end up only using both windows for a short time. No divider in between gives the most flexibility.

4 Likes

Curved monitors and my OCD don’t go well together, but I have to admit that looks gorgeous.

1 Like

I’ve been a quiet curved monitor hater for a while, but I’m starting to see the point. Probably going to stick with my 32” 4Ks for now, though.

1 Like

Yeah, for me not even huge curved cinema theatre screens make sense. Our brains do a great job at correcting any perspective/parallax shifts — in fact, I find it more disorienting when a line that’s supposed to be straight isn’t.

1 Like

Just ordered the same one! :slight_smile:

I really need to see both session view and arrangement view simultaneously. Don’t like switching back and forth. Hopefully this is wide enough for that.

2 Likes

What’s the perceived advantage of a curved monitor? Is this one connected via HDMI, and is there any noticeable visual latency when working in Live?

More immersive gaming experience.

I just saw this m4l yesterday and it looks really interesting. I was curious if anyone had experience with it. I feel like alternative ways to sequence is one of my main wants to Live, so this looks intriguing.

"SEEDS is a collection of 8 Max for Live MIDI devices that augment Ableton Live’s virtual playground with endless possibilities for composition, improvisation, and production.

SEEDS places advanced musical concepts at your fingertips, allowing for the creation of complex rhythms, harmonies, and textures with ease. The system includes 2 Clock Devices, 2 Sequencers, 2 Modulators, and 2 Utilities that communicate with each other through a system of virtually connected MIDI input and output ports.

The devices are designed to encourage exploration through stochastic algorithms shaped by your decisions and MIDI input in real time. SEEDS can work alongside your existing Audio and MIDI tracks, or as the main control center for your hardware synths, drum machines, and samplers. Extensive support for Push controllers is included."

4 Likes

I’m a designer by trade and don’t think this is an issue tbh - the curvature is quite minor and doesn’t distort the content on a monitor IMO.

I think if you’re sat close to your monitor (as you tend to be) it just looks better - it’s quite a subtle effect but it means that on larger screens the content isn’t further away at the extremities. It’s a non-issue for something like a TV but I think on large displays that are a foot or two away from your face it’s helpful, especially for wider format displays. I’d say it’s a beneficial feature on any monitor 27" and above.

I’d go a little further and say more immersive for any use - there’s something more ‘natural’ about it imo. I think it applies well to Ableton too.

I wouldn’t be too bothered if I didn’t have a curved display, but since buying one it has definitely become a preference.

5 Likes

Also, once your screen gets really wide, viewing angles get worse at the edges if the screen isn’t curved, which degrades image quality.

2 Likes

Yes. And for me, whether in arrangement view or sessions view, having long strings of racks at the bottom easily viewable all at once. On my MBP 16", with zoom display set at 110% (about right for my eyes), I can only get an instrument, plus one (or maybe two) midi or audio effects on screen without scrolling left to right.

I thought the same thing–looks great, but curved won’t work for me. Not OCD, but my studio is sort of U shaped, with instruments in front of my monitor, but then stretching back on either side, so I really want a wide viewing angle. I saw @captain8’s threat about ultra wide monitors pop up again yesterday, but it specifically calls out for curved monitors.

Has anyone had any experience with the Asus “ProArt” series of ultra wide monitors? they have a 34 inch model that looks appealing to me, but it had somewhat mixed reviews on Amazon (mostly related to very poor customer support at Asus).

3 Likes

I would start with a disclaimer by saying that there’s no perfect solution for everyone/no one-size-fits-all.

My interest in a curved wide screen developed after having x2 27” screens side by side. First i had them flat and quickly hated how far away the sides were and noticing a distortion in the viewing angle. Then angling the 2 monitors, the stupid line in the middle become the focal point and that was annoying.

I’ve worked on large screens, but likewise I find only the center section optimal.

I’ve worked on a 3-screen setup for work and it was great for work (essential for work), but didn’t like the space it would take up.

I finally tried a curved monitor in the store and it was exactly what I wanted. Seamless wide screen with no wasted/distorted space.

As others mentioned, it’s not an extreme curvature and it’s great for sitting close to a monitor.

By the way, I used to think curved monitors were a gimmick. I thought they were dumbest thing when applied to TVs and I still don’t like it on a TV, but on a monitor… You’re sitting so much closer than a TV and for me, It’s a better setup.

*Shorter answer: I demoed it and like it better, but I won’t argue that it’s the better setup. Use it if you like it and that’s it.

2 Likes

I started out that way and put off buying one for a long time. I have since repented. :rofl:

The monitor is closer to being equidistant from my head - instead of the far left and right edges being a good bit farther away. So easier to see. This particular monitor has 1ms latency as it is a gaming monitor, and is hooked up via HDMI. Because it is hooked to a laptop, I can’t use the 144Hz refresh rate that a direct connect to a video card would have, but even at the default rate, so it has no noticeable latency in Live.

It is plenty wide enough for that, I use it that way when taking session riffs to arrangement view for song layout.

1 Like

A super super useful M4L utility I found. One thing I do is start with a messy/busy drum rack, extract it to individual pads, and Ableton does not natively hold on to your muted notes. But for now… there’s this.

Hmmm, it looks like the new Apple goggles might be a better alternative to a curved display. And one that doesn’t take up any space :no_mouth:

2 Likes

Maybe. The problem I have with VR glasses is that the actual eye focus point is very close, but the implied focus point is far away. So it is fatiguing to use. It is probably possible to train your mind & eye muscles, but that may take some time.

If the headset is actually translucent, then the problem will be made worse. If mixed reality is always piped in from the cameras, it could work.

(I may frequently, vehemently, disagree with Apple and their design decisions, but they generally aren’t foolish. The headset will probably work well for most people, or be a precursor to a model that solves major problems but needs to be cost-reduced)

3 Likes