Triggering slices with midi notes?

I seem to remember someone saying that you could trigger the slices on the octa with certain midi notes, but I haven’t been able to find the specifics on this. Does anyone know which notes trig which slices, if at all possible? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Daisuk
This works
Put a loop on track 1, slice into 16 pieces, don’t lay out any steps on the OT or bother creating Linear Locks or anything.
Double tap ‘Playback’ & turn Slice mode On.
Now send C3 from your Cirklon or whatever, (Midi ch 1 in my case).

You should only hear Slice 1.
Now use CC17 to select the desired Slice.
0 is Slice 1
2 is Slice 2
4 is Slice 3
6 is Slice 4 & so on

On the Cirklon I used a CK pattern & Inserted a Track Value.
Hope that helps dude :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Just tried using a P3 pattern so I can Plock the individual slices using an Aux Row & the OT is all over the place trying to keep up, hmm

Ok, cool, thanks a lot, man! I’ve been changing patterns on the ot with program changes on cirklon, but the program change is always sent to queue on the ot for one bar after a scene has changed, so I thougt it might be better to just trigger the slices from the cirklon. I seem to remember someone saying the ot responded to high notes, but haven’t found any details on it. But thanks! I will see if your solution works! :slight_smile:

sounds cool, but is there a way to do it sans cirklon? preferably to trigger slices via MPD or smth?

Yeah, the ideal would be if each slice could just respond to a MIDI note on message.

Elektron HQ! Do you read this? Would it be possible to implement MIDI notes triggering slices? :slight_smile:

precisely! some things you just gotta bang out on the mpd :wink:

pretty please, Elektron people - make this happen (and while you’re at it, please fix the tempo issues:)

Yeah, the ideal would be if each slice could just respond to a MIDI note on message.

Elektron HQ! Do you read this? Would it be possible to implement MIDI notes triggering slices? :)[/quote]
Have asked for it, don’t know how many times…
Have asked for midi triggering of slots as well.
These are some of the basic things that are missing from OT.

i’ve been wondering lately, given the OT’s midi implementation…

…if such a feature is even possible to incorporate, since the midi notes are already ‘taken’. :confused:

once that’s sorted, only thing left is a poly machine (think: multiple drum sounds or single-cycle chords on a single channel), but i’m afraid it veers too far into machinedrum/monomachine territory. but one can still dream of the OT becoming THE MACHINE. :wink:

Elektron HQ! Do you read this? Would it be possible to implement MIDI notes triggering slices? :)[/quote]
Have asked for it, don’t know how many times…
Have asked for midi triggering of slots as well.
These are some of the basic things that are missing from OT.[/quote]
So +1 for midi triggering of slots. This would be fantastic. Even if only 16 of them. Also would love straight midi triggering of slices, without having to use cc’s. Maybe some setting to toggle on and off midi notes to slices on a track level as I would still want chromatic triggering of single samples too.

I suppose if your samples are short enough you could make them into one long wav in a DAW / editor on your computer and slice them in the OT, so you would have access in a way to different samples for triggering live from some kind of pad (I’ll be using my Tempest!!!)

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about sampling slices into the MPC and just trigger the slices from that, but it seems a bit of a backward way of doing it.

What about just having another single CC to select the trig mode, then the midi notes could just be used to trigger the slots, slices, etc? Leaves room for 128 different trig modes…

Yeah, I’ve been trying that as well, but no luck. I guess we can only wait for either an Octatrack or a Cirklon OS update to get it completely integrated.

Yes…please Elektron, triggering slices from my MPD would make the OT a complete sample workhorse for me. Sometimes playing complex slice patterns from the tigs is difficult.

I tryed to program Novation Zero SL Mk2 to start triggering slices with Drumpads, and, yeah, it does not work… It just keep changing parameters on AMP page…

I tryed to program Novation Zero SL Mk2 to start triggering slices with Drumpads, and, yeah, it does not work… It just keep changing parameters on AMP page…

There’s got to be a way for Elektron to implement this feature. Seems like if you put the OT in “slice” mode it would be easy to lock the OT into a specific midi channel that you could then use to play the slices.

yes please, I agree: individual tempo settings for each pattern and ability to play assign sample/slice to a midi note :slight_smile:

+1 for MIDI triggering of slots, by CC or notes.

1 Like

Thing is you gotta to assign MIDI channel of exact track you want to control, and even in slice mode, it does not trig slices. Problem is with more than 1 parameters sharing same CCs. I belive most benefit of this feature may have people using Akai’s MPD contolers. before I get Novation zero sl, I also had idea to get MPD 32 as Octa controler…At the moment i don’t understand why trigs are specified in MIDI implementation list. I haven’t tryed it in any other trig mode yet…