Octa with Maschine controller

Anyone tried such a combo? Is it possible to use the machine pad for firing up slices with the Octa? How to configure that?

Bump!

My old Maschine version 1.0 hardware controller was tucked away for a long, long time while I became fixated on using Push and a template I created for Maschine 2.0. I always use Octatrack directly but as I dig deeper, I am starting to wonder how much more control I can get from other devices.

In the process, I seem to have forgotten about the Maschine hardware and NI’s Controller Manager application which could help me build a MIDI template to run over the hardware’s I/O ports to OT.

I figure it would be quite easy to use it as an interface for deeper control over Octatrack and wondered if anyone else has ever done this???

I’m about to go back into the OT manual and look at the MIDI set-up, try to build a template in Controller Manager, and also look at how I can use the Maschine hardware as a bridge between software and the USB-MIDI controllers I have….and want to use on OT…

Has anyone else done this?

If you could map the Maschine pads to the OT trigs, putting the Maschine in step mode would be a more enjoyable / intuitive way of live jamming with a pattern (turning trigs off and on). Maybe use the back selectors to switch track page, and the soft buttons above the screens to select a track. The Maschine knobs are probably better suited for certain tweaking tasks than the OT’s, too.

I generally like to keep the OT separated from my laptop, but there are some definite possibilities here…

i’ve tried it. even, pretty good combo. i even made a video on how to set things up.
i decided that i prefer using Ableton with my OT and will eventually get the Push controller.

Interesting…do you have the video online?

Also, would you be willing to share the Maschine Controller setting? and…
a blank content but mapped Live set of the Ableton project you use with OT?
I intend on figuring-out a couple of working templates that allow people with existing kit and programs to dig deeper into absolute control over OT.

It’s a great idea, and something I’m interested in using with my own Maschine for. I’m sure you could set up a template that covers tons of OT functonality.

BUT the biggest feature that interests me - triggering slices with Maschine pads or any other external MIDI controller - doesn’t work. You can trigger samples in general just fine, but there’s with the OT’s processing of CC messages that select the slice. You can send the “select a slice” method followed by a “note on” message, but it takes the OT something like 80ms to process the first message, so that you end up triggering the previously selected slice

See this topic for details: Triggering slices with midi notes?
and make sure to read to the end.

I brought the issue up with Elektron and got this response "The CC messages and the Midi Note messages are processed by different parts of the system where the MIDI Note has a priority. The best solution would
be to be able to trigger the Slices directly from MIDI Notes since there
can be a difference in delay of the system handling CC depending on the
load of the machine. I have forwarded this request to the developers but I
can not promise anything."

So no promises about a solution.

Anyway, it still might be worth it to use Maschine for other functions, but bear in mind that there are issues with triggering slices.

1 Like

i do indeed.

looking back at the video now, i’d probably do things a bit differently, i think. as i know my OT better now.

i actually do not have a nicely mapped out Live set for Ableton with the OT. i’ve been doing it ‘on demand’ lately. which is dumb really, and time consuming each time. i should sort that out!

i keep meaning to make a ‘fake analog four’ within Live using a Rack and the Analog synth in it. the idea would be to use four MIDI tracks to control four of those synths within the rack.
of course, could use any synth with that or even some drums or even a sampler within it.
the world of endless possibilities.

Thank you for the share… I’m looking into this now.
I have found an old MIDI Control template I made with Maschine which simply plays notes 0-127 from pad 1 on Group A all the way through to Pad 16 on Group H.
I’m about to look at how you did that and the octave limitations, the slices limitations….it’s a lot to take in.

Thank you too!

Then there’s this option: the Liine Lemur templates from 2012….???

https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/291/

https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/289/

Anyone using them?

I’ve got a great OT lemur template - but mine only has pages 5-9? It’s reL,y great - would anyone like it?

@Dogma
I (for one) ask you to show it to us. I think we’d all like to see any OT controller effort “in action”. Seriously, there’s no info on how to get in deeper with MIDI.
If you have to film it with a camera phone, webcam, please do show us. I’d like to see what you’ve done so that we can consider Lemur and your template…. I think a lot of OT ‘heads’ would consider it as a viable option.
Don’t worry about flash tracks or other stuff…show us if you can, explain it, I’d really like to see it…consider using it…help develop it further.