Your Setups (Part 1)

Do you have sold your Syntrx ? :cold_face:

1 Like

Nope. I have the A4, MnM and Syntrx put aside so that it’s easier to concentrate on just a few synths at a time.

5 Likes

Cool, you reassure me, good things to keep.

1 Like

Exactly :slight_smile:

1 Like

Such a sweet setup

3 Likes
1 Like

I know (lol) but you can’t go wrong with either Beyer Dynamics or Audeze (or Senheiser). If you have the possibility to try some at a local store…

1 Like

K701s here. I’ve always liked the larger AKGs though, and open back. Honestly though, I haven’t tried anything else lately. I did have some Grado SR125s a while back, and really liked them, but more-so for listening than monitoring/mixing/etc. The AKGs are definitely flatter.

I’ve never owned Senheiser headphones though I’ve had friends that love them. I don’t know how they’d compare.

There are a ton of new ones though that I’ve never had the chance to try. So many brands making nice sets these days.

1 Like

Packing up to move with most gear already in storage. Kept a couple essentials near by until I relocate though.

16 Likes

Is there anything in particular that’s wrong with them? If it’s just the earpads then you can always replace those, I replaced my very squished stock pads with some Dekonis last year and it really brought them back to life for me, such an excellent and classic set of cans.

2 Likes

Another vote for some maintenance. I have an 8 year old set of Audeze LCD-X, and last year I got a custom cable made on Etsy in the exact color and length I wanted for less than the cost of a new set direct from Audeze. A few months ago I finally replaced the stock leather pads with Dekoni suede pads. Thankfully no noticeable change in sound, but they wear much better in my hot California summers now. They still work perfectly, so I’m going to keep using them until I can build a room to the spec I want, which is probably at least 3-4 years out.

If they’re really broken in some way, you can get the Drop HD 6XX for $200, which as I understand are made on the old HD600 assembly line.

If you’re looking for some improvement (though improving on the HD600s isn’t easy, most moves are going to be lateral at best), I might recommend moving to headphone correction software. The move on my LCDs going from without software to with was twice as big as the move from something like an HD600 to the LCDs, and can be a lot less expensive. I use acustica Sienna, but there are others from Sonarworks, etc.

1 Like

Dude, those are the best backpacks! I had bought it thinking it would be a passable option, but elektron branded, so i figured whatever.
Ive been using that thing daily for the last few years biking to work, the grocery store, and everywhere in between.
Thing has stood up better than any other bag ive used

1 Like

How is the little virus? I had the TI2 for a minute, but returned it cause of the price and how quickly i used up voices, I could justify it.
Been temped to sell some gear and get one of those or possibly the mini modor

Hi Strutter,
may I ask how much you paid for the MusicMan ?
I sold mine a few weeks ago to the same guy I bought it from
10 years ago. (for the same price I paid back then, 400 € with hard-case)

1 Like

600€. Its like new and recently refurbished.
What a lovely sounding amp.

All fair points!

I don’t normally run my LCDs straight off my synths, but I just checked and they were fine. I bet the senns give you trouble because they have that 300 ohm impedance, huh?

The one thing to look out for with any LCD series headphone is they are HEAVY. Seriously, my neck is either jacked because I swim or it’s jacked because I wear LCD headphones for multiple hours every day, and I couldn’t tell you for sure which is the bigger contributor. I’m OK with that when I’m sitting still to mix, but I use different headphones to move around and jam with my synths (AKG Q701, which are broadly similar to the K701 except that they come with a 20 ft lime green cable, which is perfect for being able to plug in and still move around most of my room and see the cable to not trip over it).

I own a pair of Grados and while I would check mixes on them, they are far too fatiguing to spend hours with doing critical listening IMO. Mine are almost a decade old, and I hear new ones are better about that, but I can’t recommend them for mixing based on my experience. Also, for something so light they are one of the most uncomfortable things I’ve ever put on my head (worse than the LCDs for sure), and it’s worse if you wear glasses. Great sounding different reference, but I wouldn’t want them to be my only headphone.

The other brand that jumps to mind as really good for mixing is Beyerdynamic. I’m not super familiar with their range, but I know they do low impedance versions of most of their headphones and I’ve heard nothing but good things about them from people who use them to mix all the time (and these people’s stuff is translating well to my system). A quick glance at their range and this looks like their highest end low impedance model (which specifically calls out working on-the-go).

3 Likes

Minimalism.

The most fun setup I’ve had in a while. Basically the Elektron workflow on steroids.

20 Likes

They’re not bad at all to start (they’re the best headphones I’ve ever heard in a lot of ways), but the one consistent complaint I was getting about my mixes was that they didn’t have enough width. I was afraid to pan stuff out because of how that sounds in headphones, and I don’t have a speaker set I trust to mix on regularly. So I started using Acustica Sienna because that lets me add room simulation to the LCDs, and it gives me a much better sense of the soundstage. Now, I can pan stuff much better and I don’t get any constant complaints about my mixes, which tells me that I’ve addressed my biggest weakness.

In short, the AKGs aren’t bad at all for a $400 headphone, but the LCDs are 3 times the price and I’m feeding them with $200 of additional software, so it’s really not much of a fair competition.

The Unfair Competition

As far as the AKGs vs LCDs, the AKGs have a better sense of width than the LCDs without any correction, and they have a bit more top end (say around 6k and up, more air). The LCDs, on the other hand, have an extra octave or two at the bottom end that no other headphone I’ve ever heard gives me. Even without software, the LCDs are so detailed in everything they have that you’re not going to miss a little extra top end or a little width because you can tell when something is off center by a degree, when something has changed in level a fraction of a DB. I actually had to upgrade my DAC for the first time in close to a decade when I got the LCDs because I could hear the noisefloor of my old, very cheap DAC with them. With the correction software added, I get back that sense of space from the AKGs (and then some) and they’re linearized to more or less match the highs, but I retain all the detail.

2 Likes

The snow sounds great and does everything the the ti2 can do except it’s only 4 part multitimbral and less voice count. I have a ti2 keys and the snow is a bit annoying to navigate even knowing the machine inside and out. The size and great price was why I bought it.

1 Like

A4—AR…

This is the setup I’ve always wanted to use, but the need for triplets and odd time signatures in my line of work continues to push me in other directions.

10 years ago, it was a hard but deliberate choice to champion the Tempest over the A4, and I still want an A4…

:pensive:

Cheers!

3 Likes