Your most beautiful instrument

Simmons SDS 800. Only from my cold hands!

My aluminium necked partcaster:

It originally looked like this when I was given it for free by a work colleague.

17 Likes

Is there any benefit of that aluminium ?

Besides tone, not particularly, especially without a truss rod. I was interested in a few strange guitars at one point but never got any. Probably difficult to keep in tune due to expansion/contraction and warping of the material.

There was one unique guitar I was interested in about a year ago but lost the name and can never remember it. It was pretty expensive of courseā€¦

Edit : Randomly found it in Google after trying the most obscure searches : Gittler Guitars

Costs run from $8,000 - $9,000 ā€¦

2 Likes

Travis Bean a-like

2 Likes

Ha, cool! I used to study building handpans but Iā€™m currently having a break and focusing on making music with them instead. This beauty is a Meridian. It has a built in pickup, which is cool for playing with an amp. Next week Iā€™m traveling to Japan with my OT and this to play some shows. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

The alu neck gives it a different tone and feel. More sustain. The feel is the main thing for me - the material combined with the thin profile is just really nice to hold. Thereā€™s no truss rod to think about - the neck is dead straight, and even the heaviest strings arenā€™t going to change that. No worries about fret buzz. Itā€™ll never warp or suffer from fret sprout.

Staying in tune isnā€™t an issue. While aluminium will react to temperature a little more than wood, so you will notice it going a bit more out of tune if you take it from a warm room to a cold one (or visa versa) than a conventional neck, tuning stability isnā€™t an issue. Itā€™s not like it will suddenly go out of tune if someone open a window. I keep that in my living room with a couple of other guitars, and it sufferers from losing tune no worse than the rest of them.

That neck was made by Alef Guitars in Israel. Thereā€™s a few other people about the place making them too.

2 Likes

My 1997 Fender USA Telecaster. There are no better guitars if you ask me.

YOWZA. Yeah thatā€™d be my beautifullest as well.

2 Likes

Love the idea of having a handpan, then I jump on Google and are reminded of the cost !

Figured Iā€™d revive this thread with my little wooden squeezebox!

23 Likes

18 Likes

oops, I thought this a new thread :joy:

5 Likes

I donā€™t have anything too unique but Iā€™d say my Moog Matriarch and Grandmother (multi-colored versions) are my favorite pieces to just stare at. OP-1 Field is also quite a sexy synth and has somehow made the original OP-1 not look as good, especially when next to each other.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t call gear beautiful , but nord A4 is nicely made , high quality bits n stuff.

I donā€™t have one by that UDO gear seems to come close too

I guess right now the Blue Marvin and Stereo Field.

14 Likes

Heavily modded Gibson les Paul from my days of going punk rockin

8 Likes

Zebras!

1 Like

But of course, Iā€™ve em on most of my guitarsā€¦

3 Likes

4 years with it and I still think itā€™s the most beautiful thing to look at in my possession, so it definitely fits in this thread.

17 Likes