Your modulars

Wanted to bump this thread since it fell off.

This is what I’m working on putting together currently:

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_288398.jpg

Currently working my way through the top row first. Just ordered Maths, and have everything excluding Cold Mac (which is up next), the Malekko Mixer, and the mult. Kinda can’t believe I just started a month ago and only have 12 HP free in my HEK already…So much fun tho :heart_eyes:

This is my little monster. Not so much crazy modules, but rather a nice palette of different sounding VCOs and Filters.

Should perhaps reorganize a bit…

Dreaming of Warps, Rings and Clouds, but running out of space from the current racks.

how do you like the frames? I bought one for cheap off of Juno last week,but the more I think about it, the less I think I need it.

my 12u eurorack station

11 Likes

Some awesome systems in here. This is mine

About to try and finish off the skiff I bought on impulse at the Tokyo Modular Festival

4 Likes

It’s far from essential, but it’s useful. Modulating multiple parameters with one knob and especially when you modulate the position of the big knob with an additional cv. Modulate the big knob slowly from DAW and make some slight movement when arrangement advances.

my trusty 168 hp system, clocked from my A4

4 Likes

and a macbeth 3 osc 2 filter mk1

3 Likes

@Nirun, neat setup, the verbos stuf flooks sweet… Also the atlantis, is it fun and funky like an actual 101?

I like funk and spunk in my music

oh yea it is funky as hell. nice setup you have the kilpatrick oscillator is class.

my noob attempt at using it a couple years back. clocked from a4 and sequenced by a microbrute. love this little guy, would like to get an actual 101 one day but the atlantis has definitely quenched my thirst :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My home system(s) in various states of deconstruction. I had moved some stuff in to another case for some gigs and haven’t had the opportunity to put it all back in to the main 12" case and skiff.

3 Likes

The Braids had to go to make room for the Loquelic Iteritas.

Three voices, more or less: shapeshifter+polaris, e350+warps+3sis, and rings (usually with clouds as they pair extremely well). I’m very happy with the timbral range and quality of sound out of these.

Thinking of swapping Frames and Eon out in favor of more proper VCAs and envelopes, but I’m continually pleasantly surprised by Frames when I get around to really using it, and it’s the kind of module that really saves your ass in a live situation like no other.

I sequence this with an OT and Pyramid, which together are in a loving knot of MIDI > CV > MIDI and plock much of the system via the FHX-1 CV outs. Also use Rytm often to excite rings with filtered noise.

Done buying modules… for now. Here’s the current setup - Its in a 9u 120hp Pittsburgh Modular case
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_314004.jpg

1 Like

How’re you using Cold Mac? I’m waiting for one to arrive right now to pair with my Benjolin. I’ve got some ideas about it, but it’s a hard one to grok until you’ve got it in hand.

I limit myself to only what I can fit in this 32 HP case. I’ve been pairing this with my Mother 32, and they go together really well. I ended up switching out the Disting for an STG Mix (which is based on the mixer section from the Minimoog), and have been using it as a mini-mixer to combine multiple sound sources before going into the RYTM. It works great!

2 Likes

2 Likes

Cold Mac is a weird module that does a lot (and unlike Disting it can do a lot at the same time) in 8HP, and while you can use nearly all of its functions in isolation on separate signals simultaneously, it begs to be self-patched for experimentation.

I use it in maybe 8/10 patches (it would definitely be in 10/10 if my system were smaller and had fewer utilies available), and usually in different ways each time. I’m increasingly using it to add more complexity to the CV sequences I’m p-locking from the OT (over MIDI > CV). I rarely use it for audio processing because what it offers there I can do more easily elsewhere (wavefolding on the Shapeshifter or Warps, min/max waveform combinations in Shapeshifter, crossfading more parsimoniously on my modded TBVCA, stereo panning on the Octatrack or DAW), and maybe the primary use cases you have in mind for your Benjolin are audio processing.

I’m most often combining sequences and LFOs through the OR and AND functions, and sometimes folding them through CREASE, and self-patching those ins and outs into LEFT and RIGHT in order to gradually switch the CV signals between destinations. Signal into LEFT, output taken from RIGHT (or vice versa) also works in a pinch as a DC-coupled VCA (unlike the MAC output which is AC-coupled).

I also tend to use FOLLOW to smooth out pressure gestures and MIDI > CV – the amount of slew it provides is perfect for that. It works quite well for envelope following (the amount of gain you can get from a mixer console, or even from an Octatrack if you use its compressor, is plenty to get a good shape out of it without having to buy an “audio input module”), but I’m not often looking to do that.

I still haven’t really wrapped my head around LOCATION - the slew is very extreme, and it has an unusual response curve.

2 Likes

That is really informative, especially as I haven’t wrapped my head around using it for CV and had more thoughts about using it for audio as you suspected.

This is what I’m working with, for reference. Only thing I don’t have yet is the attenuator:

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_308674.jpg

I’ve got plans for expansion for 6U (ok, 12U actually…24 if I’m really honest, but I’m getting way ahead of myself), but I’m thinking Cold Mac will still be able to do a lot for me with this small rig until I can expand further.

1 Like