Your modulars

As mentioned the Instruo harmonàig is made for making a harmony of four from just one cv.
Another good alternative would be the shakmat bard quartet Shakmat Modular — Harlequin's Context

Just make sure you have enough outputs on the quantizer so you don’t have to manually tune between chords.
And yeah, the chord mode on plaits/brains sounds really good but obviously not as flexible as 3x vco and a quantizer :slight_smile:

Even an extended version of it!
Nevertheless - you should have chord mode on brains as well!

Just a minor correction regarding Brains/Plaits - Mutable Instruments open source their projects a period after release. Plaits is under an MIT license. It’s why you see many Mutable clones on the market, and not for any other brands. So not a blatent ripoff, this one is totally kosher.

One of the few times I’ll defend Behringer I’m sure :laughing:

1 Like

Oh and because sharing is caring here is my modular setup! It’s a 7U Intellijel case so the bottom row is seperate in real life Nate's Eurorack (copy) - Eurorack Modular System from natehorn on ModularGrid

100% thanks to Mutable. 0% thanks to Behringer … to be clear.

1 Like

Just gonna put this here because I don’t want to have unavertedly started that whole debate again without showing where it should actually happen.

Regarding Mutable clones, they clearly were not the intention of the creator who has expressed many times their unease with the copying with worse interface scene. The original context for this open source aspect was a much smaller and DIY oriented eurorack world, where shareing and expanding ideas was part of the community, and was much more unattractive to companies looking for easy money.

Not entirely sure what this means :slight_smile: The module itself was created by Emilie, but she chose to opensource it, allowing other people to create and remix her designs. Meaning its not a usual case of Behringer doing their dirty.

If I’m honest I think it was a strange module choice for them - Behringer create good original designs - even if they do it rarely. A half price Plaits is tempting sure but they could have put their own spin on it. Not to benefit Mutable but to create something more interesting.

That’s fair - and I have no doubt about that intention :+1:

I guess we could call this one a grey area for Behringer at best :laughing:

For the record half my rack is Mutable - I love their modules and think their pricing is great - smaller sizes have never appealed to me either - in fact I’d rather Blades was bigger!

1 Like

I agree!. There is so much to tweak and so little space! :smiley:
Love Blades, sound so good and the overdrive just makes me smile.

1 Like

Added: Jomox Modbase Mk2 and Erica Cymbals.
Out of frame: Zed10 mixer and A4 as secondary sequencer.

3 Likes

Current 104x2 setup. The Interstellar Radio kicked out some utility modules, but I’ll have them in a drawer to swap out when needed.

1 Like

Looks like a proper techno setup right there. Modbase is a killer, right?

It really is! It’s also very much asking to be tweaked I feel - the knobs make immediate sense, they’re big, and feel super solid. Really I could imagine not needing to use a preset and just tweak my way through a set of different kicks live.

How do you like the Cosmix? It might end up filling the last space in my rack.

1 Like

It’s great, a lot of functionality in 16hp. Definitely good enough to have your entire mix go through to recording IMO. Also it’s almost like having two different kinds of mixer, a clean high-headroom one and an awesome overdriven one, at the flick of a switch.

1 Like

So the overdriven one, would that be something to drive your kick with for example? I like to drive my kicks far into orange just before the VU meter turns red; that kind of stuff? Or mayhem immediately?

1 Like

When it’s in “drive” mode each mono channel is designed to overdrive individually and gain staging can be important… but there is also a stereo high/low overdrive compressor on top of that at the output stage. So lots of options dialing in the right amount.

From their literature:

“The master channel can be sent to a true stereo drive circuit that behaves like a dual band compressor. It features faders which control both the top and bottom end of the drive circuit. When using the drive circuit, the white lines near the faders indicate where the signal will begin to be more affected by the overdrive and start to distort.”

As for my setup I have the Modbase in my “drum rack”, which I usually send separately through a RML 432k pedal, just because it sounds so good and has even more gain stage options plus a dry/wet mix.

1 Like

Cosmix seems really perfect for what I need / want. Full EQ multichannel mixers with send-returns are so expensive and big. Anyways, for now the Zed10 next to my case is fine.

1 Like

This is exciting

9 Likes

I haven’t posted anything as of late since I haven’t really had the energy to compose music… tge little I’ve sat with my synths has been with the Assimil8or and while it has taken me a while to really get accustomed to what does what I can assuredly say that it is the most impressive sampler I’ve ever laid my hands on… the thing is astounding and the key that unlocked that has been patching the individual outs to the CV inputs.

A sampler with phase modulation, linear and exponential FM and AM and 192 kHz sample rate is just incredible.

The latest patch I took a bright sample and patched the individual out into one of its CV inputs and then let that CV gently modulate AM and FM plus using an envelope on the linear FM and all of sudden I have a kick that would have made SOPHIE proud.

This thing is a work of art and I have a feeling that a sequencer like Nerdseq is really gonna make it shine, where you can be hyper specific on each step and cross modulate the outputs.

5 Likes

Interesting to read this ^^