Your modulars

This is exciting

9 Likes

I havenā€™t posted anything as of late since I havenā€™t really had the energy to compose musicā€¦ tge little Iā€™ve sat with my synths has been with the Assimil8or and while it has taken me a while to really get accustomed to what does what I can assuredly say that it is the most impressive sampler Iā€™ve ever laid my hands onā€¦ the thing is astounding and the key that unlocked that has been patching the individual outs to the CV inputs.

A sampler with phase modulation, linear and exponential FM and AM and 192 kHz sample rate is just incredible.

The latest patch I took a bright sample and patched the individual out into one of its CV inputs and then let that CV gently modulate AM and FM plus using an envelope on the linear FM and all of sudden I have a kick that would have made SOPHIE proud.

This thing is a work of art and I have a feeling that a sequencer like Nerdseq is really gonna make it shine, where you can be hyper specific on each step and cross modulate the outputs.

5 Likes

Interesting to read this ^^

Funny:

17 Likes

Yeah that sums it up pretty well actually :laughing:

Love how heā€™s almost out of breath from the whole shitty process

1 Like

it is good start but I would recommend a larger case and more utilities maybe add an effects module like Happy Nerding FX Aid? Eurorack builds that work well tend to have lot more of the boring tool modules like cv mixer, sequential switch and matrix mixer to create fun varied patches. I like the full drum voice modules like VPME Quad drum and Endorphin.es Queen of Pentacles for small modular percussion setups because you get multiple drum voices, effects and a filter in many of these modules. Also what do you plan to use as a sequencer? I really like my Eloquencer for drum sequencer with eurorack stuff.

1 Like

Great recommendations thank you! Sequencing with the beatstep pro.

1 Like

Good plan. I sometimes wish I had one. Reserve your $ and hp for other stuff first :slight_smile:

Some cross patching last night

1 Like

Fun thing I did, bad camera angleā€¦ haha

6 Likes

To everyone here: what are your favorite sequencers for your modulars? What do you use them for?

Iā€™m debating what to do, between using OT or A4 to sequence via midi/cv, use a combination of my Steppy and other singular pitch and cv sequencers, or some sequencer module for everything like Ericaā€™s Black or Eloquencer, etc. In my case for techno kind of stuff.

Sequencing with something out of rack is cheaper but in rack tends to feel more consolidated/cohesive for me for some reason. But Iā€™m simply curious to hear your most loved modules/solutions.

1 Like

I hesitate to (tho never have) put a ā€œbattleshipā€ style sequencer in my rack - Erica, for example - as opposed to something that has a singular focus and can be played - Marbles, Rene etc - , leaving the very deliberate and divey sequencing to my OT or AR. The combo of Marbles plus Elektron is my jam.

Though for techno-type, metropolix might be idea. Seems like heaps of fun.

3 Likes

I have Rene mk2 and couldnā€™t be happier with it. Itā€™s extremely playable, so quick for scheming up interesting/useful sequences and so easy to keep changing/evolving them either with CV or with your hands. Itā€™s hard to write concisely about what makes it so great since there are so many features; Iā€™d be happy to answer any specific questions you have but overall itā€™s just a really fun, powerful way to drive sequences (while integrating other gates/CV in your rack).

Iā€™ve used the OT to sequence and, you know, itā€™s Elektron/OT sequencing which is also excellent. But itā€™s a very different vibe compared to what I do on Rene. With the OT, I feel like I need to have an intention, I have to make decisions about melody and enter those into the sequence. With Rene I can create a scale, punch in some gates, try different Snake modes and just generally enjoy more surprises/spontaneity with it. I donā€™t think one is inherently better than the other, but for me Rene feels like it fits more easily in a modular environment.

4 Likes

I like always having the option to sequence via midi (with my digitakt) considering the ability to save and greater gate controls, but I find I enjoy it less than when I use the varigate 4+ or tirana II despite them being so much more limited. I also like using a random cv sequencer (I have a mimetic) into a vca turned way down into a quantizer as it helps limit the amount of notes coming through while still keeping an element of randomness.

1 Like

Making room for the Deckardā€™s comboā€¦ but these look and feel legit.

9 Likes

Been completely in love with my Metropolix. Itā€™s is a different approach to sequencing than any of my Elektron boxes. Also use my OT at times. I love the happy accidents and funk that just pours out of it.

3 Likes

As usual with sequencers I would suggest taking advantage of the modular aspect of that format and look for combination of simple elements to make more complex systems emerge. Two sequencers with the help of switches, shift registers, mixers, the addition of LFOs, random or chaos, or even sequencing each other, can lead to very complex and evolving melodies.

1 Like

Personally, I donā€™t enjoy using do-it-all mega sequencers likes the Black Seq or an Elektron box for modular. I prefer the sequencing to be modular - a couple of simple step sequencers, some switches, random generators, etc. I really like the Doepfer A-155 because itā€™s big and hands-on, and the bottom row of eight steps has individual inputs.

2 Likes

Iā€™m using a combo of Turing Machine and Qu-Bits Bloom.
TM is pretty random, the Bloom can be traditional step sequencer, or you can get it to self generate, through itā€™s branches and path modes. I have a WMD select, so I can chop between eitherā€¦