Your kicks on the Syntakt

Hey there,

I really like my Syntakt for everythimg, that it is, except for the kick.

I was always struggling, when I was jamming, to find a nice kick, that is pushing my, mostly house oriented, music in the right way.
In the end I found a sound which was okay but not convincing on a large scale.

Now I have the Syntakt hooked to an Octatrack, which is working the melodic samples, while the Syntakt is on the percussion duties.

Yesterday I used a Samples from Mars 909 kick sample and wanted to do the percussions later.
When I started wit hthe percussions, I found, that I cannot create a kick anything near to the sample.
It sounds weak, way lower on volume, not defined at all and neither pushing, in context with the melodic samples and especially the kick sample.
Don‘t get me wrong, I don‘t want to copy the sample, but want to have a sound, that is equally usable.

Since I haven‘t found any major complains about the kick on the SY, I was wondering, what I am doing wrong. Are the Mars Samples so well processed, that I don’t have a chance with my amateur gear to come anywhere near? Are you satisfied with your SY Kicks? Would you share a preset with me? Happy to learn and improve.

BTW I tried it with all of the analog machines.

cheers,
Heffmoe

1 Like

I really love the kick machines on syntakt and use it for all my tracks (mainly house & techno). I mostly use sharp, plastic, silky and hard. I never use the digital one so that my kick always sits on track 9.

A few tricks that I use:

• Use hihat machine (or shaker from the digitakt) to layer with the kick (often with slow attack and shift it a bit to the left to create a nice thumb).
  • Play with pitch envelope to add or reduce the body of the kick. I usually turn this down a bit to make the kick sound heavier. Though I use the amp envelope to keep my kicks rather short - depends if you want to let your bassline shine through or if the energy comes from the kick.
  • Always use a decent amount of overdrive (between 20-50) and/or use an LFO to shape the overdrive amount.
  • Use the highpass filter to add some resonance in the low-end: freq filter value often sits between 15-22 and resonance value between 5-10.

I am travelling now but happy to send over some presets in the weekend.

20 Likes

Have you tried a resonant high pass? This both eliminates the inaudible low-end frequencies that can cause muddiness in the mix and allows you to pump up the fundamental frequency of the kick…

The eq and compression on both the Mars samples and the Octatrack itself also have a huge impact on percussion sounds. Can you run ST into OT’s compression?

6 Likes

don’t forget that sample packs are heavily processed in post and are designed to sound amazing

also don’t forget that the syntakt has weak and one dimensional sounding kick drums to begin with

i would suggest using the cue output on the OT for individual kick outputs. alternatively, i would sell the syntakt and get a machinedrum instead

2 Likes

Paging @Jeanne

17 Likes

…ur comparing finished and polished samples with raw synth waves…

that wil never work…

4 Likes

Audio Example or GTFO

How about one of those?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IoHXHHy8vk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK9uGWyP9x8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJLJcyO3I9s

… or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ehrGplkwsk

18 Likes

The Syntakt kicks are pretty much all good. This isn’t a Sampler/ROMpler, it’s a synthesizer, you have to do a bit of the work. As mentioned above, using the high pass filter will help a lot. You can add a touch of extra transient motion that way, filter out some low frequencies that may be causing mud with your bass sounds. A very light touch on the overdrive is nice too, but keep it subtle (especially for funkier, housier stuff) Really take a light handed approach to parameters. Use the pitch envelope, but go a little lighter there. Crank up the snap/whatever parameters, to add a bit of click to the attack. The syntakt provides all of the tools needed to make pretty much ANY type of analog style (plus others) of kick. If you can do it on the 808/909, it can be done on the Syntakt with a touch of effort. Also as others have mentioned, those samples (whether they mention it or not) are generally processed to some degree. Even if they just had a limiter on them, it’s not the raw sound of the machine. There’s also no reason you can’t layer sounds. A lot of people writing these styles of music will use layered kick sounds, or add transient samples, to add texture to the drum(s). Keep in mind, you’ll need to do some work there too. A lot of EQing is required to do this sort of thing to make it all fit.

One last thing. If you don’t like the ones with the preset paramaters given, build your own! Use the impulse machine, ping the filter at high resonance, tune the envelope, use an LFO in one-shot mode to modulate the pitch a bit on the attack, and tune from there. Maybe sample it into your Octa to then go to work on it with other tools. You can also use the delay at the shortest settings to add some KS-style to it. Sparingly of course. (use the second LFO to tweak this part)

Sometimes kicks can be a bit tricky. The rest of your track’s sounds may dictate what you can get away with on the kick without it sounding like garbage.

Also, a lot of house music doesn’t always use TR-X0X type drums. Sometimes it actually uses ROM-based ones from things like the DMX, Linn, etc. Maybe get yourself some vintage ROM samples. (there’s a nice pack on the Elektron site called Vintage Drums I think (or something like that) that has LinnDrum, DMX, Roland ROM based, etc. Mixing some of these with the analog style sounds can really help get your percussion section sounding nice. Or strip out a bunch of the frequencies on these samples, and layer them with the analog ones. Or chop them down to just a few milliseconds and then x-fade/layer.

When you use samples, a lot of work is already done for you, but they’re a lot less flexible over time, since you can’t modulate many of the parameters that you could have before they were sampled.

8 Likes

Lol, and we’re done here.

2 Likes

Totally subjective. I much prefer ST kicks, especially Analog BDs. MD raw kicks (no filter eq fx) are clicky (except BD2), and sound weaker imho. :pl:

Depends on music style…

Funny how some people can become extremists with MD.
Need to justify the price ?

3 Likes

I love the kicks I get out of the Syntakt. They punch through my mixes, they have oomph, they can click if I want to. All my songs on YouTube use different forms of unprocessed kick machines on the Syntakt.

3 Likes

Careful on that edge.

8 Likes

pointless talk. so far nobody posted kicks they like, so it’s talk about nothing.

17 Likes

I like yours, post more.

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure OP is after kicks like this:

2 Likes

Thats about the kind of kicks I am twisting knobs for.

Tried around a bit more and what really brought me into the right direction was using a fast lfo as pitch envelope.
Probably nothing, the b and c knobs on the syn page can‘t do, but maybe I am just to simple to use those parameters right.

Of course, I am aware, that a professionally processed sample can do better than some synth waves without much on it, but the comparison placed my configurated Syntakts BD machines far into the „not usable at all“ corner.
The lfo thing brings it definitely in the right direction.
Would still be interesting to have a look into your presets.

1 Like

Syntakt kicks, folks decide if bad or weak. Didn’t check them with subwoofer. Second round is with added click on another track.

24 Likes

Three things that make the difference to me. I know I am echoing what others have said…

1. Use a highpass with resonant frequency as others have said. It makes kicks sound much bigger to me. It is the easiest tweak to make.
  2. You can layer kicks. Try multiple kicks with different characteristics (low-end thump, clicky transient…).
  3. When I record tracks, I multitrack through Overbridge, and I use Izotope Neutron to adjust the sound, often substantially. Every track has applied (multiband) EQ, saturation, and compression.

Sample pack kicks have often been professionally layered as above, and also mastered with EQ, saturation, and compression. With the Syntakt, you are being presented with sounds that have not been processed nearly as much. It is part of the fun and challenge of using the machine.

2 Likes

Even tho the kicks were fine for the type of music, this made chuckle.

Never thought I’d be one to miss proper trolling.

1 Like

First, upload some sounds you like.
And some you don’t, maybe.

Do you have a proper monitoring system that let you hear all the details?