Your kicks on the Syntakt

Double the kicks up, cut the proper frequencies out so they don’t clash.

1 Like

Some of these sound really good. With some post-processing, even better. Overall, very good IMO!

The analog kick is one of the best kicks around. But you need to learn how to design the kick you need. Syntakt is a proper sound design drum machine. If you want ready made kicks you should use samples with the DT or OT. Syntakt will give you the opportunity though to learn how to shape your own sounds and create more unique results.

And as many people mentioned I’m also using 2 sounds on top of each other. One with the big oomph and the other with a sharp attack. I’m mostly happy with my kicks on Syntakt to be honest. Still working to find the right sounds for all others.

3 Likes

I think ST can do pretty good kicks. Having two lfos as opposed to one (on Rytm) is something that I definitely use. I sometimes like long kicks that serve as bass notes as well. Especially there it’s good to use one or even two faster oneshot exponential lfo’s to pitch and or amp. Or to the pitch envelope parameter on the SYN page (forgot what it’s called).

Also, although you’d have to check if it fits your style: instead of using the analog FX track for side chain ducking, I more and more stop using that in favour of using it for a second layer of overdrive on my kicks. Which has a lot of impact if you enjoy dirtier kicks, very heavy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Keep trying!

I think the kicks are all great and can serve many purposes. I like the HPF tips above and haven’t tried those myself, but those sound like great ideas.

Or maybe I’m not too picky.
This thing’s kicks blow me away sometimes. I have a harder time being subtle with it.

1 Like

If so, those are easily done on the Syntakt using the techniques outlined by everyone posting in this thread. They hit nicely, but are subtley processed. There’s nothing terribly special about them. Standard 909 territory with some EQing, and maybe a bit of compression. Also the mixes seem spacious.

2 Likes

With the right amount of Sweep Time, Sweep Depth… and Analog FX Drive, you can create a slamming techno thump - one that rivals 909 bd.

2 Likes

Here’s is a little trick to clean up the mud.
On the digital machines use and eq filter and on the analogs use the notch filter to scoop out some mud.
Makes space for other tracks and give a more polished sound.
Examples will follow, sitting in bed sipping coffee atm :v:

A lot of good tips already. :+1:
The best results I got so far was by layering the digital kick machine and analog kick machine. Then sometimes layered with one more layer on top as click. This takes careful listening and experimentation. There’s not one recipe really as it depends on the rest of the elements as well. Most of my grooves use track 1+9 layered to create the kick. Also provides interesting seperate sequencing to create extra rhythms.

3 Likes

I really like the kicks on the Syntakt but it always depends what style of kicks you prefer or need for your tracks. Of course you can try to get more satisfying kicks out of the ST but if you don’t feel the kicks then maybe move on and let the OT or whatever handle that.

Btw i recently made my own samples and recorded kicks through some fx and compressors to get them sounding like i want. And the outcome could not be reproduced by any single device out there. It takes some time but it’s well worth it for me.
As others said the samples from mars are recorded and treated in different ways and if you like that sound it might be hard to come close without processing your kicks.

This discussion is moot. There’s no such thing as a good or bad kick, it all depends on the context (ie. the rest of the music !). @Jeanne is right, we need examples, and I’d say examples in context.

That said, the Syntakt is more than capable.

5 Likes

Gonna respectfully disagree with this angle. The OP stated they’re after a 909 style kick for house music that works with samples. That’s a decent lead even with examples.

1 Like

… it can mean a lot of different things, let alone depending on the era (1992? 2012?), and the three videos that were posted here Your kicks on the Syntakt - #16 by lelderkin also had three completely different kicks - and a 909 can have very different settings yada yada …

Not posting audio examples just leads to a lot of grief, and it should be a forum rule to do post examples.

4 Likes

@Heffmoe This is a matter of perception & it reads like you’re close to sorting out your issues with the kicks you’re making (ie- too quiet, not punchy enough). Read/watch a few more how-to-make-a-909-kick drum synth tutorials & pay attention to the process, not necessarily the gear/program used. You’ll get there soon enough.

It’s always difficult comparing a sample of a kick to a synthesised one. Remember you’re comparing a sample made by a professional likely using outboard & mastering equipment to a sound made by a jack of all trades drum machine/groove box. Add in differences with headroom & you’re in apples vs oranges territory.

Don’t think you need to get a 909 kick done with the Syntakt, just tweak the sample in your Octa & beef it up further with the Syntakt. Sample/resample the pair etc. Make it sound like your kick by hiding what makes it sound like the sample that thousands of others have also bought & played to death.

This is something I’ve struggled with previously, mixing samples & synth percussion but in more of an IDM/halftime DnB/Los Angeles beat scene context. Never underestimate correctly pitched kicks with short snappy envelopes played a little too loud then glue-compressing the mix to make it fit together.

1 Like

Like all of them. Care to share machines and settings?

1 Like

Sound design for your style of pounding, heavy techno generally doesn’t overlap with sample based house music. Regardless of the era.

(I’m not claiming to be an expert with house music, just aware of the fundamentals & some subgenre examples)

OP’s post was well intended/explained, identified the source sound with the problem & gave a use-case. It was a good post. Nitpicking over audio examples about something as basic as a kick drum, let alone a 909 kick is s-tier gatekeeping.

2 Likes

You heard it here folks, Jeanne is gatekeeping!

Look, I partially agree with you about the kick description but using moralizing terms like gatekeeping in this extremely low stakes situation isn’t helping anyone.

3 Likes

@Jeanne is a magician with the ST.

Audio examples please.

4 Likes

For fuck’s sake…

2 Likes

Keep your powder dry… we move on to snares next week.

11 Likes