Your favourite way to mangle sounds on OT

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile: Yes, I am considering that, but I really like the (my? synth-based) workflow on the Digitakt with filter envelope, base-with filter, delay and reverb … and for stereo, I can just use two tracks. Let’s say, I like to work with sounds instead of loops?

On OT you have to think differently, it has other strengths, like plocking fx, assign them to crossfader, resampling in realtime with pitch or reverse, with feedback…

You can make drums liquid with it…:content:

6 Likes

Also important to note is that you can’t have both delay and reverb on the same track — they can only be put on the second fx channel.
Obviously you can use a neighbor track to get both.

In fact you can, with this hack :
Reverb on FX1 slot hack

2 Likes

Hi sezare, I tried that tip but as the rec trigger start recording let’s say on step 5, the playback of the flex machine playng since let’s say step 2 gets interrupted. It seems flex refuse to playback a sampled non yet completely recorded…
Any clue?

I’ve made lots of loop chains from looped synth phrases.

These are about 2 bars each loop, 64 loops per chain. So each start point gets you a unique loop.
What I like doing with these is starting them on weird steps, like step 4, or 7, and then use trigless locks on subsequent steps to automate fx, pitch, LFO depth, etc.

It’s kind of the opposite of slicing, as there is less resolution when using the sample start point (1 of the 64 slices is a whole new loop, not a tiny slice of a single loop), but it has made me lean on trigless locks and *conditional trigless locks as well, reimagining my use of the other steps. Mangling in less obvious, less glitchy sounding ways. Which has really helped me push the sequencing on all of my Elektrons.

3 Likes

Microtime the play trig slightly later than the record trig. I don’t know if it will solve this, but even with a single rec/play pair it helps a lot with reliability.

thank you for answering Supercolor, but I’m afraid it’s not that the issue.
I think you can’t change the content of a buffer while a flex is playing itself. Sigh…
But at that point maybe I’m missing something in sezare’s technique, since I cant’ figure why to trigger a recording in the same place of the play trig

Because it allows you to mangle the recorded sound in real time. You can P-lock the steps and affect the sound in crazy ways. For instance if the input is a guitar, you could just keep playing a single note and have it pitched at +12 on the 3rd step, reversed on the 5th step with a crazy comb filter, etc. Add to this some LFO and probabilities and it is Alice in Wonderland on steroids.

PS: Sezare is on another planet, you should not try to reproduce its tricks at home. Actually his videos should have a warning sticker on them :wink:

3 Likes

ahah thanks but I think I can achieve that stuff with trigless shit, why to re-trigger recordings?
Maybe I’m dumb :sweat_smile:

I think he meant to mangle real time audio. In order to do this and as said above you need to have the recording happening slightly before the playhead. He was triggering live incoming audio.
I may be misunderstanding what you don’t understand though.

2 Likes

Ok that’s pretty nuts! I’m at the point where stuff like this and MIDI loops makes me super intrigued for new toys

1 Like

With INAB / INCD as sources, SRC3 disabled, you don’t have to use microtiming.
@alex3368 the Flex trigs have to match rec trigs. Each 2 steps at first. For pitch up, put the Flex 2 steps after rec trig (REC LEN=2), and skip rec trig on that step. That way recordings are fresh and shorts, you can mangle them more easily. You can get same result with pre-sliced recording, but I found multiple rec trigs more straight forward.

One bar pattern
RXRX XXRX RXRX XXRX
LXNX HXNX LXNX HXNX

R rec
L low pitch
N normal pitch
H high pitch

Edit : timestretch off

8 Likes

Just wanted to say big love for all the replies and tips. You’re all amazing.

I’ve found the Octatrack really isn’t the hardest device to learn. The rumours of its “difficulties” are certainly over rated.

Gonna start to work through these one by one, trying them out and learning OT better as I go.

Keep the tips and ideas coming. Love it!

5 Likes

Is it possible to adjust start point of a sample while looking at the waveform?

You mean adjust Slices start in Audio Editor ? Possible.

1 Like

Here is an example of incoming audio mangling with that method.
I added reverse + pitch 1 octave scene (2 recorders needed).

(I sent the loop from CUE to Input CD, it could have been Syntakt, but I used it to record on the phone with USB)
So it’s possible with any source, ideally synced.

5 Likes

AED Trim scrolling (already recorded loop). Plocks on Playback Start parameter.

9 Likes

Thanks for the inspiration.
This is something I need to explore more with the OT.

1 Like

Lots of resampling opportunities.

1 Like