Your favourite way to mangle sounds on OT

I think he meant to mangle real time audio. In order to do this and as said above you need to have the recording happening slightly before the playhead. He was triggering live incoming audio.
I may be misunderstanding what you don’t understand though.

2 Likes

Ok that’s pretty nuts! I’m at the point where stuff like this and MIDI loops makes me super intrigued for new toys

1 Like

With INAB / INCD as sources, SRC3 disabled, you don’t have to use microtiming.
@alex3368 the Flex trigs have to match rec trigs. Each 2 steps at first. For pitch up, put the Flex 2 steps after rec trig (REC LEN=2), and skip rec trig on that step. That way recordings are fresh and shorts, you can mangle them more easily. You can get same result with pre-sliced recording, but I found multiple rec trigs more straight forward.

One bar pattern
RXRX XXRX RXRX XXRX
LXNX HXNX LXNX HXNX

R rec
L low pitch
N normal pitch
H high pitch

Edit : timestretch off

8 Likes

Just wanted to say big love for all the replies and tips. You’re all amazing.

I’ve found the Octatrack really isn’t the hardest device to learn. The rumours of its “difficulties” are certainly over rated.

Gonna start to work through these one by one, trying them out and learning OT better as I go.

Keep the tips and ideas coming. Love it!

5 Likes

Is it possible to adjust start point of a sample while looking at the waveform?

You mean adjust Slices start in Audio Editor ? Possible.

1 Like

Here is an example of incoming audio mangling with that method.
I added reverse + pitch 1 octave scene (2 recorders needed).

(I sent the loop from CUE to Input CD, it could have been Syntakt, but I used it to record on the phone with USB)
So it’s possible with any source, ideally synced.

5 Likes

AED Trim scrolling (already recorded loop). Plocks on Playback Start parameter.

9 Likes

Thanks for the inspiration.
This is something I need to explore more with the OT.

1 Like

Lots of resampling opportunities.

1 Like

Sure. And this only one track. You can sequence 8 different tracks with plocks, using the same sample while trimming it, with different start points, randomly if you wish. Granular stuff, with some limitations…

And instead of plocks, you can use an lfo on start, play the sample faster, randomly, with step designer…and these start points change depending on the trim selection.
I didn’t dig in, but you can also play different slots with different Trim settings , as you can play slots à la MegaBreak of Doom.

1 Like

Do you have BBOD sample chains you’re willing to share?

1 Like

Don’t know…
Blue Box Of Doom ?
https://youtu.be/eFNY1YjRPLo

1 Like

Waw. Speechless. Too bad the box isn’t blue and we can see the feet :joy: i guess someone could not work out or in the box and chose to work next to the box :man_facepalming:

insane trick sezare :exploding_head:
could you spare some time to explain details please?

AED Scrolling ?

Simplest is to load a 1 bar loop.
Trigger it each 2 steps with Start plocks (0, 16, 32, 48, 64, 80, 96, 112).
Slice mode off, Loop on, Length = Time, TSTR off.

Mess with AED TRIM and scenes, pitch, Length…

1 Like

Thanks for reply
Yeah I could get that, but what happens with xfade? I can hear a pitch rise and a shorter envelope as you move it toward B scene, what are the parameters assigned?

Holy shit! Been wondering if I should sell my Octa and stick with the Digitakt. Hell no! This was really inspiring! I don’t have a clue about what you did in that first video, but it sounded awesome, and I would love to do something like this. Need to practice!

1 Like

Just recording guitar and play it differently with FLEX, in order to have bass and drum sounds. A few post above I give the main recipe : rec trigs each 2 steps. The rest is about pitch, filter (hipass for hihat), envelopes, exp lfo for “kick”…

Here is a different version, same pattern at a faster tempo.

4 Likes

Rad! That sounds straight out of live action mario bros!

1 Like