Your digitakt setup

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:Should have phrased that better, my parent’s cabin. I would like my own cabin as well.

I want my parents to have a cabin :cry:

7 Likes

Your parents should get a cabin that you can use, and invite us all over to. :smiley:

Just got mine today

34 Likes

6 Likes

KP3 is a good machine, I do use it for looping my minilogue and for some effects here and there. Sound quality of the looping is not the best tho.

Indeed, the loop lenght depends on the BPM: Let’s say we have 100bpm, in that case you can record 16 steps. Then, if you take that halfway to 50bpm you’ll only be able to record 8 steps. The sample capability in seconds it’s around 10 - 12 secs, I believe.

I still use it despite this lenght limitation, since I can record tiny details and variations on the kaosspad and then when those are looped I can play a longer part using the digitakt as a looper for any of the two synths, recording them in real time on a MIDI channel so I can edit on the fly too.

Another good thing is to be able to destroy various layers of looped parts on the KP3 via FX and resampling, creating a new part and freeing sampling slots… And a non destructive way to do this is to use the pad automation recording wich you can always turn off and back on, very nice function.

If you want to loop more channels, longer sample lenght, time signatures etc, I recommend you to check the BOSS RC-505. I have one now and it’s way better than a KP3 for looping, almost twice the price tho.

2 Likes

That’s great information. The key feature for me is simplicity and ease of use. I’m in the process of figuring out 5 to 10 uses for the Kaoss Mini Pad 2s where simplicity and ease of use is paramount. So far I like these Fx the most:

• 72db Lo Pass Filter
  • Isolater Filter
  • Break Reverb
  • Echo Break
  • Looper & Flanger
  • Unison Square Bass Synth

The problems are quite severe, though. I hope I can work through them:

• Random freezes
  • Poor sound quality
  • Mini jack seems a bit loose and can cause loud pops
  • Needs a compressor quite badly. Output volume varies too much and synths are too loud

I do like the way that the Korg “destroys” a beat. I also use an OTO biscuit for that, which is totally awesome.

I suppose I’ll try to make this work for awhile, and if it doesn’t then then I might explore the Boss RC-202… Cheers!

1 Like

Digitakt > OTO biscuit > Korg Kaoss Mini 2s > Zoom MS-70CDR

And a Nord Stage 3. :slight_smile:

So excited for the Digitakt to be my soundcard!

7 Likes

10 Likes

if i’m performing, i typically send the output from my mininova (or any other external instrument) though my digitakt & into the a4, and record from the a4’s outputs.

if i’m sampling, i tend to send whatever it is that i am sampling from through the a4’s analog signal path, process it a bit, and then sample the output into the digitakt.

i also tend to rearrange my signal chains several times each session, since for me building a track is usually an alternation between sampling and constructing the performance.

and sometimes i play just the digitakt exclusively. it can be refreshing to focus on just a single magic box instead of several ;3

2 Likes

How do you do that?

on the digitakt? send it through the audio inputs and turn on monitoring (set “mon” to yes in the bottom right corner of the screen when you are in the sampling menu).

it converts it down to mono but works well enough for live performances :3

6 Likes

Wow, that’s great! Works perfectly.
Thanks for the tip :sunglasses:

2 Likes

no problem! ^-^

1 Like

I was watching your setup and I noticed you have a Zoom MS CDR.
I’m planning to get one of those for my minibrute 2s. So I ask you:

What about the sound quality, FX chains, controls and pedal’s overall quality?

I would say that the Zoom is a great placeholder for better gear. :slight_smile:

It has been very helpful to figure out what I really need in my workflow. I mainly the Zoom for a reverb, a compressor, or a filter/EQ.

Chains are easy to setup and modify. I have no problem adjusting parameters… the 3 dials are pushable and you use that to scroll to the next set of 3 parameters. Very intuitive. Forget about using 6 devices in the chain, though. I always use 1-2 devices. You lose too much resolution if you use more.

There are some very usable reverbs, compressors, and filters/EQs. But the delays, choruses, and extreme effects (Shimmer, Space, etc.) are not useful because the resolution is too low. The copies of famous pedals don’t sound like the real deal at all, for example the “CarbonDly” is not at all like MXR Carbon Copy.

Two specific oddities to be aware of: First, there is no universal bypass button. That button on the device is the bypass for whichever device in the chain is selected. They offer a way to fake a bypass where you add an effect to the start of your chain called “LineSel”. Select this device and then the bypass button functions virtually as a Universal bypass for the entire chain. Second odd thing is that there is no clear way to turn the device on/off. I unplug in the power adaptor!

Hope this is helpful. Good luck in your decision, and let me know what you end up doing!

2 Likes

14 Likes

THANKS for all this info, I will keep on searching for the right FX unit for my synth.
I don’t know yet if this Zoom will be the final choice, but I’ll let you know. Those two oddities and the resolution loss now got me thinking :sweat:

1 Like

Hey I see you are using a dt and a qy70. Do you use the dt tracks to run the qy70?
I’m thinking of buying a qy70 and using most of the dt’s midi tracks to control it. I’d also use the qy70 on the go.
Do you think I would enjoy using it?
Thanks for your time

My first post here :slight_smile:

Digitakt just came in today. I’ve been using a TR-8 and Electribe 2 Sampler, and this will be replacing them. I am absolutely loving it so far after spending spending a few hours with it.

I’ve got the Volca Keys and a Bass Station 2, but I think I will be getting rid of them in order to make room for a Digitone. I’m loving the idea of keeping everything inside those two boxes.

5 Likes