Novation UltraNova
Yamaha Reface CP
Technics SL1200MK2 & vinyl

update

3 Likes

The A1R is a powerhouse.

2 Likes

Elektron Digitakt > Arturia Minibrute 2S > Korg Minilogue + Kaosspad 3

Digitaktā€™s 8 audio tracks & 4 midi seq tracks for each synth + 4 Kaosspad looper layers for the Minilogue

Variations on the Minibrute are made via itā€™s sequencer. Minilogue is mostly being played and looped.

I also have an Alesis Sample Pad Pro for playing/recording real time variations on the digitakt via midi.

5 Likes

I ended up getting a Mackie 1642 as Iā€™m buying new synths and kind of future-proofing. Honestly I much prefer the sound (and overdriven sound) of the A&H. Iā€™m fine for now esp using UAD preamps and whatnot, but if I ever change mixers Iā€™ll probably get an A&H Zed420 or something similar. I just donā€™t love that A&H has their own jargon for things that are standardized otherwise everywhere else. Itā€™s not major stuff but itā€™s enough to be annoying. Soundcrafts are nice mixers but just not my sound. Maybe for a more clean, pop style music vibe theyā€™re ideal, but yeahā€¦ that ainā€™t me.

So yeah upgraded to (the fucking incredible) Focal CMS65, a 1642 VLZ4, added the JU-06, got rid of the Boss RV-5 (hated it). Next up on the list are the Moog Grandmother, Soma Lyra8, TB-03 and UA Apollo x8. Eventually gonna build a little modular box of strictly odd sequencers. And I need to move this mf out of my house and into a studioā€¦ waiting until Winter passes.

3 Likes

that erica box looks like so much fun. i heard itā€™s super hard to use subtly and takes a while to learn to reign it inā€¦ that true?

Definitely.

1 Like

I can appreciate the idea of minimalism but the Heat seems like overkill. If you want analog vibe, use an analog filter of your choice, you can get just a filter for about 150.00 Moog, or even as low or lower with the MS-20/10 filters on the korg monotron/delay boxs. I enjoy the added brute factor of the Minibruteā€™s multi-mode filter, and got the whole synth for 150.00 or less w/out a keybed. You want that lofi-dirt, just get a dual casette deck and duplicate a copy of a copy etc until your satisfied. For 700.00? Ugh whatever makes you happy, but wow that is a high price for happiness for some analog filter effects module.

My setup? I guess you could say for needs in hardware for my approach are complete with the Digitakt as the advertised ā€œBrain/Heartā€ of my setup. 4-note poly output on 8 tracks of midi over my Nord2 rack, I can use 4 channels to the 4 layers available on the nord maxing/matching the 4 notes available from the nord. The Minibrute covers analog duties, I run the nord through itā€™s input/filter, get an additional lfo, and brute factor. 4 channel mixer w/ effect channel, korg kaospad 2 mini for effects.

I still retain a volca beats my wife bought me when I first started learning synthesis. And as a way to tidy up the cord mess I fashioned a magazine rack style 3 tier shelve on my desktop that everything fits on leaving room for my computer keyboard, mouse, and 49 key midi keyboard to sit on the desktop. And the desk had a second set of shelving allowing my monitor to sit at the top right and my monitors are stacked on the lower shelf and the puter sits underneath. I donā€™t know if or how to upload a pic?

Bottom left of the box you type in (on mobile at least)

A1>DT>DN. sadly though, the DT sums its inputs to mono whether its sampling, or playing through. the DN however, you can pan your inputs to maintain stereo

Sometimes people are not playing in their homes, and then something like the Heat is really good because you donā€™t have to drag your setup of monotrons and dual casette decks and whatnot along with you. But I agree that the price is a bit steep, at least for my taste.

1 Like

never sell gear is my mantra

4 Likes

Sure if you need/want get it. I just donā€™t know if 1 of those suggested filters would suffice and the cassette decks were just for recording, donā€™t think the heat dubs tape grit and tone does it?

But to each their own just like me thinking the moog one would be a reasonable price to get into poly analog. Weird but I know that guy is out there like if your buying a car why jump in before you get a lambo. Do YOUR thing. peace.

1 Like

I just bought a Kaoss Mini 2s to pair with Digitakt, mainly to use the looping fx. But Iā€™m unhappy by using stereo minijacks for connectivity. Was thinking to return the mini and buy a KP3+ instead.

Do you use the korg for looping? I have a lot to learn! Seems like loop length is based on the BPM? Would love to hear about any tips or techniques.

When I am out of town or relaxing at the cabin, this is my go to minimal setup for the Digitakt.

13 Likes

I want a cabin :cry:

1 Like