Your digitakt setup

I also do this :joy::sob::pensive:

First (you probably know this already) you have to have a usb host between them, I use the Kenton.

Yes you can seq OP-1 slices! I use the drum sampler to manually slice up a sample. Then the slices can be sequenced like any other note on the op. I have a keystep hooked up to my DT and it’s cool to be able to have chromatic samples on the DT and slices on the op for the best of both worlds.

The OP-1 midi lfo is on the op in the lfo menu. It’s just a very simple 4 parameter cc control. Calling it an lfo is a little misleading. So you can set cc 1-4 to control any synth, fx or envelope parameter. Then set up cc 1-4 on the DT midi tracks. Use trigless trigs or p lock regular trigs and let the fun begin. I really like using trigless on long chords or notes to create motion or more “melodies”. For example, sequencing the cutoff on hi pass side of Nitro with resonance cranked and you can actually p lock notes with the filter. A little vid of this in action:

The high pitched sort of whistling that comes in about halfway through is the singing filter. Another cool thing I did here is sequence the finger sequencer with the DT. Just like sequencing any other note, you can sequence different sequences since they start with a note message. The possibilities are pretty deep.

As far as syncing, they do sync up and pressing play on the DT will start the tape which is cool. It’s a little shaky and I actually had the op1 freeze once! I typically just set the tempos the same without syncing and just sequence stuff. Hit play on the op1 in time if need be.

8 Likes

That beat was really nice!!
Thanks for explaining all that, if only I knew about these possibilities before I sold my DT :persevere:
I have a DN on the way so I guess I can achieve much the same setup.
The Kenton USB host, is it Mk2? I can only see Mk2’s for sale at around $180AUD.

Pity about the sync not being stable!

There is a guy on the op1 forum who posted a Raspberry Pi image that runs as a USB host, just needs a usb2midi plugged in for the DT/DN or run both off USB Midi I guess.

Again thanks :pray:

Seems like a great little setup, and your right about deep possibilities, I didn’t know you could trigger the finger seqs by midi either!

Edit: here’s the Pi USB host guide https://stimresp.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/using-a-raspberry-pi-as-usb-midi-host/

1 Like

Here is my current setup (although I have a Blofeld on the way and I need to get a dedicated reverb…currently using the reverb from the Echo System and Bitquest depending on the sound I’m going for)):

I have a switch so I can choose between running the Moog or the OP-1 through the effects. The Key Step controls the Sub Phatty, OP-1 is master clock, and the Digitakt goes straight to the mixer.

6 Likes

My three little friends :metal::star_struck::metal:

12 Likes

Digitakt
Prophet 6
MicroMonsta
TR-8
Space Echo

What’s the signal flow here? AH on the master out from the DT?

i second that question, i want to try this myself, but i have yet to find anything

Well its pretty easy actually. If you use software (like Lumen), just use your midi out to a midi interface. At the moment I’ve got an hardware video synth (Critter&Guitari ETC) that has midi in. I use the midi tracks to switch presets, colors, sensitivity. Loads and Loads of fun! Its even more fun with the OT crossfader…

Signal flow is this :
Modular into El Capistan and Space into Kmix
Digitakt Into Kmix
Master out into AH
AH to speakers/sub.

So Analog Heat is heating and compressing the whole mix. I’ve pondered putting it as an effect send since I have I/O available on the Kmix but I’ve haven’t tried it yet. It works great as is.

Man!! this minilogue color is pretty dope. I love the original, the one I have, but is dope too.

5 Likes

Thanks :grinning: In reality the Minilogue PG looks even better than on the photo.

Some lovely setups here, would be nice if those who are posting would also include signal flow details, ya know, midi routing/audio routing, what is used for what :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s my setup

I use the electribe as a pad controller for everything (as it has a gate arp, scale modes, chord mode etc.) so have its MIDI Out going to the Engine MIDI Sequencer MIDI In.

I take the MIDI Out Port 1 from the Engine into a MIDI Thru box then on to the JU-06, SH-01A, MX-1, 2 x MB-33’s and also back into the MIDI In of my electribe. This way both the electribe and Engine can be used to play/sequence the rest of my gear.

My Engine is the brain of my setup. I use it to sequence everything, even the digitakt (as the DT has a program change issue) and electribe (as it sequencer sucks big time). I use it to send notes, chords, CC’s, parameter locks, LFO’s, arpeggiator, transpose, tempo changes, Program Changes etc. It can do different lengths and scale per track, and set any start/end point within the grid. It has forward, back, pendulum, random, and probability pattern directions. You can shift whole patterns left/right or individual notes. It has a great song mode. Amazing machine!

I use the MIDI Out Port 2 from the Engine for drum/sample duties so this goes to my TR-8 and then MIDI Thru to the Digitakt. I find keeping drums on a seperate ports prevents MIDI jitter as less data on the other MIDI chain.

The audio outputs from everything go into my MX-1 where I can also add performance effects (delay, reverb, stutter, sidechain, filters, eq etc.).

I have the MX-1 effects send/return connected to the Digitakt Left sampling input (mono only, can’t see the point in connecting it up in stereo if it all gets summed to mono anyway) so I can literally sample anything in my setup with seconds.

I have a 1/8” audio cable permanently connected to the Digitakt Right sampling input so I can quickly connect my iPhone, Zoom H1 microphone or my Pocket Operator PO-32 Tonic for sampling.

Finally I have a Zoom MS-100 multieffects pedal connected to the Audio Out of one of my MB33’s so I can add distortion/overdrive or other effects. That’s everything I think.

Any questions just ask.

11 Likes

Nice :smiley: Cheers for the description too.
I hope others continue to do the same, it will help other people work out alternate ways of setup that may be beneficial to what they are trying to achieve :smiley:

2 Likes

I recently decided to go through and downsize my setup a bit. Sometimes less is more! It started when I realized that I didn’t have the space or acoustic treatment to get the proper placement and thus sound out of my studio monitors, so I decided to switch to 2.1 speakers instead. I mean I’m not a professional any more, this is merely a hobby. And in an imperfect space I appreciate the space savings and artificially enhanced low end :wink:

In this setup the Deluge is the master clock, and also can sequence the Digitone and Nord Drum. The Launchpad Pro is simply acting as a MIDI controller to allow velocity/pressure sensitive playing on the Deluge/Digitone.

Since the K-Mix has 8x8 ins/outs, I’m able to send audio from anything to anything. So I can route things to either the Deluge or Digitakt for sampling, or to the Digitone for effects (once they fix the pops and clicks!)

You might wonder “why would you want to sequence the Digitone when it has the world famous Elektron sequencer in it?”. The reason is that the Deluge has no maximum/fixed track length, and can be much higher resolution. Plus this way I can also use the Launchpad Pro via the Deluge as a MIDI controller.

At some point I will get some nicer stands for the DN/DT as the Isberget from Ikea does flex a bit more than I’d like. And this may look totally different in a week!

I unfortunately had to go out and buy a shelf to contain all the orphaned machines while I try to decide what, if anything, I will get rid of.

12 Likes

I know the feeling

Digitakt
Digitone
Micromonsta
VSTs from the PC.

Hope to add Octactrack MK2 to the setup soon and then after I saved enough maybe get the Novation Peak.

1 Like

Shot of my full setup.

Getting an ADA8200 tomorrow so I can have everything plugged in at once!

7 Likes