Your Digitakt-only "Productions" - do you have some?! ;-)

youre welcome :wink:

1 Like

I hear a lot of released tracks that sound unfinished ( in my opinion) . Digitakt seems to be the box that has got me doing stuff most nights , experimenting , noodling and recording.
I donā€™t mind posting this stuff , Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™d post a ā€˜finishedā€™ track that Iā€™d want to release but I haven the got to that point yet .

https://soundcloud.com/hsctp/digital-dust

made this about 2 weeks ago but canā€™t extend or finish it since I return the previous faulty machine and get a new one. sorry for the clap sound it is a little bit too much (overuse of the fill button)

2 Likes

Awesome!

1 Like

Now that Iā€™ve politely listened to all your criticisms, would you please share your music for us to listen to?

1 Like

Thereā€™s some good music in this thread. Inspiring.

1 Like

it wouldnt be all digitakt. in fact im still getting used to that. what i have expressed is what it seems like to me, which is how i assign value to any piece of gear that im getting to know. im not passing judgement once and for all, i have still to use it the way i envisioned 100%.

here you go tho.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a kick, a hat, a snare, and synth in that example. What makes you think the DT isnā€™t able to do something like that?

EDIT* I guess Iā€™m confused; youā€™re saying you made that on the DT?

1 Like

no i made it using what ive listed. i dont consider that complete. dont be confused. were you expecting to hear something that put my opinion in perspective? my bad.

Iā€™m of the opinion that you should be able to make complete tracks of any style with the DT since itā€™s a sampler. I wouldā€™ve just pointed out the ways you could achieve similar things using resampling for whatever example of a complete track of yours you had.

A Teenage Engineering OP-1 only has 4-tracks, but if you listen to the plethora of tracks made solely with it on YouTube and SoundCloud, youā€™ll find many examples that sound pretty much fully complete.

the snippet sounded good though , i thought the production was tight
sure , the DT could do it by playing samples, but mixing would be tricky , and that track is likely to be using a lot of programming on the synth sounds , which DT wouldnt be able to do without a lot of work doing it manually (i.e no compression / side chain stuff to bring the wompy weird noises though).

iā€™m increasingly digging into nice production techniques , starting within DT limits is helping though if i want a nice lush pad i know that (for example) my nord4 cant be matched for live evolving reverbed niceness.

it seems like there are a bunch of YouTube videos showcasing the OP-1 (Red Means Recording etc.) and its abilities, but a large percentage of the ā€˜finished tracksā€™ seem to have further work, post-processing, or ā€˜fleshing outā€™ done in a DAW (Ableton etc.) - just my impression.

yeah, a lot of these tracks have a fresh/raw vibe thatā€™s lacking in the more polished or ā€œfinishedā€ tracks that people circulate online. Itā€™s refreshing

When that thing first came out, there were all types of little beat making competitions, and people showing off what can be done with it totally in the box. You can find all types of SP-303/404 beat battles too. If youā€™re arguing that the DT is too limiting to make completed tracks with, I disagree.

not making that argument at allā€¦ Iā€™m loving the Digitakt. Itā€™s got plenty of features to keep me busy, Iā€™m not really worried about making ā€˜completeā€™ or standard tracks, at this stage.

thats absolutely the case, not just your impression. in case of Jeremy Blake Ɣka Red Means Recording at least. And here he shows how much post-work he actually has until his tracks sound great:

I did a Minimal Techno Track on the OP-1 once, its this one:

This is pure OP-1 only! Btw: Skip to 27:00 if you just wanna hear that track :wink: But it can go much further! I couldve added stuff and stuff and it never ends ā€¦ the OP-1 is truly a masterpiece in that. But the Digitakt can work as well. Just plan your Sounds and Resample a lot ā€¦ and tracks can become quite complex on this little beauty!

3 Likes

Starting to release some Digitakt-only stuff as my initial patterns get fleshed out. Hereā€™s my first one!

1 bank, 16 patterns, lots of Fill condition.
All live, 1 take, two edits, to fix mistakes.
100% Digitakt, mastered with Ozone.

34 Likes

Very nice.

1 Like

That was super dope! Made me realize I need to step my fill game up

1 Like

stop embarassing me Jeremy! you force me to put myself to a whole new level on the Digitakt and thats super hard work. damn you! :smiley:

3 Likes