Your Commitment to Releasing Something in 2022

Gorgeous album art!!

3 Likes

First tape of the year out, hopefully can get to 3-4 this year. Our take on kosmisch industrial, mellotron meets metal percussion & pedal noise:

7 Likes

I posted this already to our music, but hereā€™s the 2nd album of this year. And with that I am done with my committment, which ofc does not mean I am done. :smiley:

Genre: Noisy space stuff. Kinda like being on a spacecraft thatā€™s slowly being torn apart. Existential dread and shit.

5 Likes

Reminds me of playing Dead Space. I think itā€™s great!

1 Like

Oh, nice! Dead Space has fantastic sound design so this kind of listening effect is making me very happy. Thanks for listening! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I enjoyed reading what you were going for with the atmosphere, and then hearing it. Thanks again :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My first album is out today. Itā€™s on Spotify, iTunes, Bandcamp, Amazon and a few other sites.
Made with an Octatrack mk2, Perfourmer mk2, a Digitakt and a few pedals for reverd and delay.

I hope you like it.

3 Likes

man im dumb with masteringā€¦ what steps do you guys take to go from the demos bouncing from DAW to a released project on bandcampā€¦ or minimal effort if its good on your ears?

1 Like

No easy answer here. Sorry dude.

Iā€™d actually go so far to say, that when you are ready to do it yourself, you wonā€™t be in need of such questions.

I wish I knewā€¦ but my right ear is fucked up so I canā€™t really mix to begin with so masteringā€¦
Anyway, I listened to your soundcloud and the tracks were quite good and loud (to my ears so well, considering the aboveā€¦) but your track ā€œwent the snowā€ at around 6:10-6:30 was clipping for me.

Before Iā€™m going to state the obvious so that we agree on the terms and a bit on the process (not perfect at all) and you know most of it but bear with me!

• first we produce a track: pick the sounds so that they can go hands in hands with if possible minimum overlapping (I fail at this stage!)
  • then we mix to clean up things a bit with some filtering, EQ to reduce frequency masking, control the dynamic with some compression and depending on if youā€™re working in a DAW or not, automation and all this kind of stuffs using a reference track if possible (then fail at this one),
  • then we bounce that and from there create a master (Iā€™m already dead here)

For me the mastering has 2 main roles (but I might be wrong):

1. clean up the overall mix from bumping frequencies due to the mixer listening environment so that the track plays well everywhere (I donā€™t even try)
  2. try to make it louder/more full to reach a certain level of volume (depending on the platform it is different, I have no idea what is right) without killing the dynamic of the track (I always fail here)

so 1 requires to have a great room, great speakers and great ears. I have none. So at this stage, the best thing is to realize we canā€™t do it all and ask people that are good at it to do it for you. It will cost money though so thatā€™s a problem. If your ears and your mastering environment is sound, using referencing track here too can help.

and 2, requires at minimum to have a good limiter that can handle true peak limiting:

https://www.fabfilter.com/help/pro-l/using/truepeaklimiting

as your track ā€œwent the snowā€ at around 6:10-6:30 was clipping for me (and it never clips), you might need to look into your limiter but all in all, that sounded good!

2 Likes

This thread has been a real inspiration for me to set my own goal to do ā€œsomethingā€ in 2022ā€¦ which has coalesced into a short album / long EP (first two sketches here and here) that I hereby commit in public to finishing and releasing by the end of December.

Thanks, all, for the encouragement!

5 Likes

Itā€™s probably best to spin @NathanDJā€™s mastering question off into a separate topic. Iā€™m sure there will be lots of discussion and tips on how to go about it. As for me, I donā€™t really care so long as it sounds good to my ears and my ā€˜soundā€™ is deliberately smashed/crushed and amateur AF anyway.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, @sig11! The more the merrier. Itā€™s amazing how much has been released already!

1 Like

Youā€™re failing then. Never thought it was amateur in anyway.
But youā€™re right, this master thing should be a separate topic!

1 Like

Late to the party but: i finally want to release something (at least a good track, but an EP would be nice) this year! Hope i can share something soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks for the answer and going through the effort to listen also!

1 Like

I actually made a video a few years ago for just such a question. Some of the plugins have changed over the last few years, but the overall process is more or less the same. Iā€™m available if you need me, and my rates are probably cheaper than you expect as Iā€™m more of a hobbyist looking for a few extra dollars here and there than a pro trying to feed my family.

Be warned that the audio and video are a few seconds out of sync by the end due to the cheap clock on the capture card I was using for screen capture. Itā€™s a windows audio thing, but plain OBS by itself canā€™t capture a DAW, so this is what I came up with.

1 Like

I released this last week, free/pay what you want on BC until the end of the week and it gets released on all the other platforms. If you like string heavy soundtrack ambient a kin to God Speed and Stars of the Lid, with a little bit of shoegaze and I donā€™t know, other non beat driven sad stuff this just might be your cup of tea. All done with a Digitone, Peak, and Blackbox. Sequenced via the Digitione and tracked and mixed in Live. Enjoy.

7 Likes

A little cross-posting hereā€¦ So this is the album I knew for certain was gonna get released this year as it was done between 2019 and 2021. It will finally see the light of day on July 18th. The band is called Garden of Worm. This is the first album for me with the band (and third altogether). Iā€™d say itā€™s psych/prog/rock. Iā€™m on rhythm guitar and backing vox. I also mixed the album for the most part. Vinyl and cd on Nasoni Records and Pariah Child, respectively. This is the first video single Name of Lost Love.

If youā€™re interested, thereā€™s a lengthy interview available here.

10 Likes