YES a real analog Compressor, but which one? Drawmer? Elysia?

hmmm… good question… but I send it Karacter back. :neutral_face:

I expected something different from the Karacter… I use Console 1 and I really love that Drive and Drive Charakter function. you can mix just with that a whole track. and I was looking for a hardware which can do this. the Color at the Elysia Karacter is working totally different.

Are you looking for tape warmth or just something you can drive hard and distort with subharmonics?

You sold the karacter? Did it at least have a tube warmth to it? What don’t you like about it? I’d like to know before I dive into it.

I think for warmth the AH is working better for me but if I get a track mastered by calyx it sound so dope. but the compressor they have I can’t afford. The FAIRMAN Tube Master Compressor!

1 Like

I really look for the crumple tube sound which you describe… I had the Karackter for 10 days and use it every day… but there was only some small settings which worked for me… the Drive of Console 1 SSL 4000e is working on every thing… it is like magic

That is the SSL sound. It’s magic. Even with how clean the AWS series sounded you can drive it before the red and you get that edgy sound. I need to reconfigure my “warm chain” now that I have a Handsome Audio Zulu and restyler and the x desk. My Stam Audio A4000 won’t ship until june so for the meantime I will have my izotope plugins, NI plugins and I might even delve into fabfilter C2.

1 Like

I really enjoy the channel drive on the x-desk. Its great at rounding off sharp transients and for adding some nice mid range density to the track.

That Fairman comp looks lovely. I looooove vari-mu’s for 2bus and mastering duties. I already have a Thermionic Culture Phoenix and SPL Iron, but there’s always room for one more :wink:

Let us know how the Zulu is, I have a few slots left in my 500 rack I want for more esoteric stuff.

2 Likes

So far so good…I am using it with DIYRE Colours Palettes mainly equipped with CTX - 15ips - JFT - British Console - Distortastudio…no a single complain so far…

About that 700US module…I think is a bit high priced for a used unit…I bought mine for €450 (which is lower than most sales) but…700 is near the price of a new unit…

@HOOOPS
have you checked Looptrotter products?

2 Likes

Studio work can be so hard!

1 Like

I love the Cinemag, definitely my favorite so far. I’ve been tempted to try the 1176 smash color, can’t remember what’s it’s called ATM

Do you mean Implode from Louder Than a Liftoff?

My fav so far is the Easy Eq Silicon by Bart HRK…instant loudness…even if bright sounding material tends to get a bit harsh. It is actually a baxandall eq with only trim/gain for the hi and low spectrum.

1 Like

That’s the one. I have two lindel 7x500 and a Warm Audio WA76, but always seem to want just one more 1176 like smasher :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here is a video of Elysia Karacter and Xfilter on premaster buss after Analog Rytm :

6 Likes

nice one, thanks for this. yes I think I prefer the karacter to the heat, definitely sounds a little more refined and the more extreme settings sound less harsh to my ears… but it could be just my elysia bias :stuck_out_tongue:

I had both… but i sold the elysia.
But Xpressor and xFilter i keept… !

when i see the Video i ask myself why i sold it?

i’m waiting it out to get the 19" version of the karacter to control via cv. i do want to get a pair of the 500 series mpressors for processing drums separately but $$$ will have to be saved.

This mod is supposedly better

1 Like

it’s done for now…here is my final rack…
maybe I get the elysia nvelope soon.

3 Likes

Here’s our 500 dynamics section, yes that is two xpressors😜

5 Likes