YES a real analog Compressor, but which one? Drawmer? Elysia?

I am thinking about to get the Drawmer 1973 or Drawmer 1978.
i am tired of software plugins. Has anyone of you experience with one of them?
My Budget is between 900-1500 EUR. I do Deep House and Techno.
I like to use it for Groups and 2 Buss. Or if you have other Gear that you can recommend,
please let me know.

thanks

:relieved:

2 Likes

I can’t help on Drawmer (seems to be highly regarded compressor), but I decided also to go to hardware comp for tracking/2Bus/Group two month ago. I chose an Elysia xpressor (stereo, linked), and so far, I’m really happy with it. Probably less sophisticated (mono-band) and more neutral/transparent/less character than Drawmer…Softube offers a plugin of Drawmer73, you can try it to give you an idea of its sonic possibilities.

1 Like

yes… i have the full version of Softube 1973…
i feel that 3 Band style could be awesome for Club tracks.
but i will check some reviews of the Elysia xpressor.

for what do you use the Elysia xpressor mostly (Tracks, Groups or Master channel)?
or everything?

thanks Damien

+1 Xpressor. Don’t sleep on the FMRs: both of them together make a formidable duo. The small, early Overstayers (if you can find them). The current Overstayers might be outside your budget but incredibly versatile.

Hardware smashing FTW.

1 Like

I was mainly looking for a compressor for tracking synth/FX in analog domain (gain staging/dynamic). I was looking for a compressor that help me shape the dynamics of my sounds before recording, during the sound design phase. I do not want it to color sound (I have other hardware for that, AH in particular). Xpressor is great for that, with extensive capabilities (gain reduction limit. negative ratio, log, etc), and is stereo (linked only). It was also really something that I want to do: trying to record what I want, and not to delay too much choices ITB. Elysia has also a great support: I asked them several questions concerning my setup/studio integration, and they responded quickly and accurately. I think I will also use it more in the future for 2Bus/Group from DAW. In this price range, I didn’t identify many other option that fit my expectations. In short, I’m so far very happy of this choice: it was a bit expensive, but I’m sure I will use it for years…

2 Likes

And I chose the rack version, because of sidechain input (500 can’t really do sidechain).

1 Like

yes… i am using Analog Heat as well…
where do you use the AH in your chain? before or after the compression?

It depends…I plugged everything in patch bays, so I can configure it quickly as needed.

For now (but I’m still trying a lot, and I have not definitive answer), I tend to compress my synth before external FX and AH (letting AH at the end), but sometimes I have better results the other way. It’s a bit like EQ/COMP order in chain. I think if I do subtle enhancements with AH, I prefer EQ/comp before, the other way for more aggressive AH/FX setting. But I have to experiment more to have a clearer idea…

1 Like

Man I need a patchbay.

2 Likes

I spent a lot of time setting it, but now, I love it !!

2 Likes

patch bay… xaxaxaxa… i just ordered one yesterday… :slight_smile:
thanks again for your Tips… they are very useful for me! which Eq you are using?

ELYSIA XFILTER :smile: I believe I’m an Elysia fan!

1 Like

wow… i really thing to get both after some research (Elysia comp and EQ).
thanks for your tip. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I use this http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tk-audio-bc1-mkii

Clean and good, sounds like a master unit.

3 Likes

the tk audio unit is the business. have a friend with one and surprised at how good it sounded and at an affordable price too.

+1 for elysia xpressor, I’m biased though owned one for 3 years and it has been rock solid for my purposes processing the elektrons/modular

if you want something with more color, more aggressive design check out the single channel mpressor, I’m tempted to buy a couple to process the rytm

4 Likes

What are your goals? I find there’s lots of great vintage emus in the digital realm this is why I decided to get a wa76 that I go through before I hit the ADC. This allows me to record without worrying about clipping and you get the transformer warmth.

It really depends on what you’re looking for!

1 Like

make sure to check out this guy… if I had more $, I’d be all over it

2 Likes

I just love the sound of the elysia expresser.

It’s got the HPF side chain filter which is great for techno and house, and also the dry/wet which is great if you want to squeeze more character out of it without annihilating the dynamics.

1 Like

Does it catch super fast transients like the 1176s? Seems to cover a lot of ground from what I read on the website. Demos sound good… and it’s stereo, which is a big plus versus regular 1176s…

0.01ms attack.
It is quite fast.

1 Like