YES a real analog Compressor, but which one? Drawmer? Elysia?

if you need to choose… SSL or Elysia?

Eleysia no question. So much more flexible. Though the ssl’s do have a magic ability to make kicks and snare just sound right

so what is the benefit of the Chandler for you?
thanks

The chandlers are super smooth, almost varimu like in their compression action, but the gain stages in it are super characterful. The give a really pleasant edge or warmth to anything that goes thru them. Love them for guitars and bass. Some vocals work really well with them as well. For electronic stuff they are amazing. Not super grabby but just great for rounding things off and you get that amazing warmth

4 Likes

Got an SSL bus comp clone being built. Found this bloke based in Manchester as Nekotronics. He’s also got a dual mono pultec clone in the works too (and some Euro modular designs) amongst other stuff.

http://www.neko-neko.co.uk/ssl-compressor-clone/

• Had a few upgrade mods added too. Switchable Side chain filters and switchable Carnhill transformers on the output for extra gain and colour.
5 Likes

Hell yeah. Carnhill’s are amazing. We’ve been wanting a SSL bus style comp for a bit. Had been looking at the Alan Smart ones, but these look interesting

3 Likes

sounds super cool… thanks for your details

1 Like

a message to the Xpressor users - how do you set the external sidechain on your patchbay for occasional use? i connected the send to an output and return to an input, which works but it’s permanent connection. any help would be appreciated thanks!

1 Like

whoa, this looks really cool … love to read a review once the unit lands.

1 Like

OK … i did it, today i bought an Elysia 19’’ Xpressor

I’m quite curious about this beast

3 Likes

OTO BOUM pre-order
(compressor + distortion unit with filters)
http://www.otomachines.com/product/boum/

Audio demos

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

BOUM is a full analog stereo warming unit, combining an easy-to-use compressor, a versatile distortion generator and a smooth low-pass filter. BOUM is the perfect tool when you need to add warmth, thickness, and character to your sounds, but also apply severe distortion and extreme compression treatments.

BOUM is based on an original and unique circuit, including the following stages :

INPUT GAIN : boost your signal up to +18db to adapt BOUM to various signal levels, and also improve the distortion content and the compression sensitivity.

COMPRESSOR : with a single knob, control the 3 essential parameters of a compressor, threshold, ratio and makeup gain, without thinking about how a compressor works ! The ratio ranges from 1:1 (no compression) to inf. :1 (limiter), but also negative compression up to 1: -1 !
6 different Attack and release times are available for fine tuning.

LO CUT FILTER : attenuate the distortion content of the bass frequencies with this 6 dB/Octave lo cut filter, making your distorted sound easier to mix with the original one.

DISTORTION GENERATOR : choose one of the 4 different distortion circuits :
– BOOST : soft clipping amplifier, perfect for subtle harmonic enhancement.
– TUBE : asymmetrical tube distortion emulator based on MOSFET technology. Generate mostly a second harmonic distortion.
– FUZZ : symmetrical hard clipping amplifier, similar to an overdriven mixer preamp.
– SQUARE : pure square wave generator based on a comparator. The ultimate fuzz !

HI CUT FILTER : soften the high frequencies with this smooth and musical 12 db / octave low pass filter.

NOISE GATE : remove the noise coming from the different treatments, or use it for interesting chopping effects.
All these analog effects are packaged in a compact format, with 36 user presets and full MIDI control.

BOUM will give you a wide range of compression, distortion and filtering effects, ranging from subtle harmonic enhancement to an insane square distortion, and everything in between !

4 Likes

yurp, preordered back in 2013.

1 Like

Aussie built SSL clone

http://www.highvoltageaudio.net/comps.html#main

Only used the UAD plugin of the fatso, but I love it! Its quite a multifunctional unit too, not only limited to compression.

What it does to club music drums is mighty imoressive. I heard a distressor is also killer for this.

1 Like

How did you get on with this? Curious to know if any of these ssl clones do the business!?!

I do not expect of denis BOUM to compete with some of that stuff these guys here talk about, but i´m also waiting for BOUM since it was announced. i totally trust in denis taste and ability to put something really nice in such a little box !

2 Likes

I just found a great price on an Elysia Nvelope 500-series version. SUPER SUPER excited. I still need to get a 500 power supply lunchbox type thing, ugh…I read the info above which advises against the cheaper-end products. Thank you for sharing that with us, @v00d00ppl :wink:

But I will let you know! I am a yuge fan of transient designers (as opposed to just normal compressors) and this will be my first hardware unit. I will report about my experience here, but give me some time to source a 500 housing.

2 Likes

I saw a gently used Neve MBP compressor on Ebay for 2800US.

Anyone here have experience with the 250hz SC and without bypass all option? Can I pump sounds with this? Can I just pass my audio through to get the 5088 sound if I don’t want to compress?

For example if I have a sequence on my MPC I want to pass the audio through the MBP and use the silk knob and the 5088 transformers. I was thinking this is the poor man’s 5088, Can anyone confirm this?

Get an FMR Audio RNC. I have one on my master in super nice mode and it sounds great. Hell get an FMR Audio RNCLA as well and then spend the $1000 Euro change you will still have left on something cool.

1 Like

MBP can get really great pumping going on. Using its non compression/limiting tools are great on things that need those adjustments. The blue silk is gorgeous, acting a bit like the nicest aural exciter I’ve ever heard. The red focuses on the lower mids, gives things a nice warm bloom down there, but less useful on the master in my opinion. Great for busses though. The mid/side processing/eq is useful too, but a little goes a long way. Nice to have both compression and limiting at the same time in one unit. It’s been on 90% of my masters for the last 4 years, even when it’s not compressing. 250hz sidechain is really useful, but it has an eq insert point for that if you need the flexibility. Built in wet/dry is fantastic.

2 Likes