Yamaha SEQTRAK

What is this new sorcery from Yamaha? They have my attention. At first glance, a OPZ rival?

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/music-production-studios/seqtrak/?utm_source=mnr&utm_medium=pr&utm_campaign=ekb_seqtrak_launch&utm_content=link_ucase

Yamaha Seqtrak empowers you to unlock your creativity from wherever you happen to be. Capture ideas quickly through its lightning-fast, all-in-one design that includes drums, synths, sampling and sequencing, all packed into a compact, lightweight system. Create original music with two versatile sound engines, then refine with deep editing, custom samples and video creation using the intuitive Seqtrak app. When you’re ready, share your sounds, collaborate with other artists and connect with fans using its powerful performance features and video creator. Seqtrak has everything you need – and more.

• Capture ideas with a clear 3-part user interface and realtime, hands-on controls
  • All-in-one system: drums, synths, sound design, sequencing – all included
  • Advanced sequencer allows intuitive composition, quick arrangement and dynamic playback of musical tracks
  • Create anywhere: compact, lightweight design plus built-in speaker, microphone and rechargeable battery
  • Capture the world around you with Seqtrak’s onboard sampler
  • AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory 2) provides 128-note polyphony for authentic, realistic sounds
  • Four-operator FM engine produces stunning synth pads, leads, FM electric pianos and more
  • Comprehensive effects like reverb, delay, distortion and more provide a polished sound
  • Performance features let you combine tracks and patterns, remix beats and mute/unmute tracks in real time
  • The Seqtrak app visualizer mode transforms your music into a captivating visual experience

Hands-on control
Seqtrak makes capturing ideas simple with a clear 3-part user interface and realtime, hands-on controls. You’ll produce your music without menu-diving or waiting for boot times. Seize moments of inspiration and unleash your creativity in no time at all.

Sequencer
Seqtrak’s advanced sequencer allows for intuitive and seamless composition, arrangement and playback of musical tracks. With its user-friendly interface, you can easily navigate and control various parameters, such as tempo, swing and track settings.

Performance
Take center stage with Seqtrak’s powerful performance features. Create arrangements on the fly by combining tracks and patterns, remixing beats, and muting/unmuting tracks in real time. Add polish and sparkle to your music using global effects, then control these sounds live while you perform.

Onboard sampling
Capture your own unique sound samples effortlessly using either the built-in microphone or the stereo audio input. Seqtrak’s sampler offers seven sound slots and a variety of effects, allowing you to shape and transform your samples with ease. Say a phrase, tap a spoon, or record your favorite pet, then customize to create polished tracks – all in high-quality 44.1 kHz/16-bit format.

Visualizer
The Seqtrak app has a visualizer mode that transforms your music into a captivating visual experience. With this free performance and production feature, you’ll bring your music to life with stunning visuals that sync perfectly with your songs. Customize and tweak patterns, motion effects and more, however you see fit. There’s even an augmented reality mode that allows you to integrate 3D virtual objects into real-world live videos.

Copious connectivity
Bluetooth MIDI lets you connect wirelessly to the Seqtrak app and visualizer, enhancing convenience and mobility, while onboard wi-fi can transfer WAV samples wirelessly, eliminating the need for cables. Use the MIDI in/out (dual 5-pin DIN breakout adapter included) to connect to other hardware synths, MIDI controllers or a computer, expanding your sound options and enabling integration with external devices. USB-C provides a single cable connection for MIDI and stereo audio to a computer, simplifying setup and streamlining workflow, while a 1/8" stereo input lets you connect to and sample from drum machines, synths and other external sources, expanding and diversifying your sound.

Compact and lightweight
With its compact size, lightweight design, built-in speaker and microphone, as well as a rechargeable battery, you can take Seqtrak anywhere, from the studio to the stage to the sofa with no need to worry about power outlets or tangled cables. Create, perform and share your music – anytime, anywhere.

34 Likes

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

$599. hmmmm

1 Like

And a quick intro video. Parameter locks, battery, midi and audio over usb c, 8 bar sequencer, mic for sampling. $399 is a competitive price, too.

13 Likes

399 on Kraft and Musician’s Friend.

6 Likes

And here I thought Yamaha was done making cool shit.

15 Likes

Someone on that design team owns an OP-1 and OP-Z, got sick of both of them and said, “Hold my beer.”

Will be following this, at minimum for curiosity’s sake. :slight_smile:

35 Likes

Never write off yamaha if you need a dirtbike or some random instrument.

57 Likes

$399!

I have no use for this!

That sucks because this looks like fun and if it holds up, it’ll be hard to buy a KO2 over this.

After selling off an OPZ and after later buying a KO2 that sits nicely below a Push 3 and plays nice with all my other stuff, I can’t see a reason to get something with so many features! :open_mouth:

It’s a good anti-gas feeling.

5 Likes

And a more in-depth walkthrough here -

Wow this thing is packed with stuff, little buttons on the sides and back of it.

13 Likes

I would give anything to know the physical weight of this thing, is it hollow plastic or does it feel solid? Hard to tell from the videos…

Hollow plastic is the new warm analog sound.

26 Likes

Can‘t watch the videos right now, but have some questions:

• How many tracks of synths?

• It says 7 sample slots, sounds very limited…
    No slicing?

• also my first thought was that it looks like it would be very hollow

However I hope it is more than I expect it to be!

It can resample apparently which is nice. Overall it looks very ‘hip’ and stuff but honestly it seems pretty cool and capable. I’m sure people will make some great stuff with it.

2 Likes

looks cool. i bet someone will make dope stuff with it. some kid probably blow everyone’s minds with it one day. it looks fun.

but also: plug in integration, file manager, visualizer with AR, integrated tutorial/experimentation app. they went all in with all the things. it’s not going to be all things to all people but within the limitations are a lot of possibilities.

7 drum tracks, FM track, 2 AWM2 tracks, sample tracks, FX… lot’s of buttons and knobs. micro timing, repeats… looks like firmware updates can happen to add more things later.

5 Likes

Like seeing the te influence on the market

2 Likes

i am definitely drawn to this if for nothing else other than aesthetic factor alone but it does look like a nice op-z upgrade in the direction that would be more usable for me. kind of a sexier mc101 for my use case too. far more limited in the sound range tho it appears

apparently its 0.5kg, so 0.1kg less than the ep-133. might actually be a comfortable weight

3 Likes

Portable devices like this are instant GAS for me apparently. This is really cool and it looks pretty easy to use - lots of buttons and knobs, and wifi connectivity is always welcome. Working my way through the videos, my big question for me is: how much do I have to use the app? Can I ignore it? Or do I have to use it to sweep a filter or something?

3 Likes

But where are the physical faders and umbrellas?

specs state 1.1lbs

1 Like