Yamaha Reface DX

Nice, so you can even play on top of the looper!

Looking forward to this. Octatrack users will love the CC control :+1:

Bipolar feedback for each operator sounds lovely as well.

Does the RefaceDX have separate amp&pitch envs for each operator? If so, this is going to be :alien:

As for the rest of the Reface lineupā€¦ they seem a bit expensive considering the features etc

1 Like

Think so - the manual is here:

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=65255

Maybe - I think a lot depends on how nice the hardware is when we get to try them. If the keyboard/speakers/sliders are good as reported, the midi works well and the batteries last ok, could be worth the expense. Also theyā€™ll hopefully drop in price after a while.

1 Like

Just got a DX. Hereā€™s a demo of using it with the MD. The MD sends all kind of MIDI. The Yamaha does some plinky buzzing. Using SongMode so no fancy-hands action going on, but just wanted to give an impression of what can be done with the MIDI implementation on a basic FM synth.

5 Likes

I really like this. Kind of reminds me of Delia Derbyshire kind of stuff.

Wow that sounds awesome.

Nice! Not got mine into my setup yet for some p-lock fun, but that certainly whetted my appetite :+1:

I really like the reface DX, true it is not as gritty as the DX100 or TX81z but it also sounds a bit better and can do things they canā€™t, the fx are pretty usable I think and the looper is quite handy actually.

The prices that DX100 go for now (UK at least Ā£200-Ā£300) was actually my main reason for grabbing the reface, overall I am happy with it but the lack of mod wheel and stingy memory are a bit strange, editing is still not exactly user friendly but a damn sight easier than the DX100 or TX81z. It looks very nice and seems well built.

Here is a vine loop I made when I first got it.

https://vine.co/v/eYAb9MdIiaA

1 Like

vlkā€™s great Monomachine-video inspired my to do something similar, here is a video where I control the DX with the Octatrack. Sound starts at 0:17 !

1 Like

Nice! Sounds very cool. Midi CCs + FM!

There is a separate amp env for each operator. The single pitch env is shared among operators, but you can choose which ops are affected by it. Midi ccs can only be set to operator volume, feedback and tuning, as well as algorithm. So no cc control of env settings. But this is more than enough to do some serious damage!
Plug and play with ipad synths via usb. Oh, and the looper auto-syncs to incoming midi which is also nice!

1 Like

Just a bump to share info on a new editor solution for this:

Seems the CP also has a hidden Easter Egg type Acoustic Piano sound too. Achieved by adjusting the mode selector a certain way prior to power up. Yamaha are not admitting to hiding it there. May point to it being some kind of developer mode.

You really have to ask yourself why the Toy Piano was implemented over an actual Acoustic Piano sound. The mind boggles

1 Like

I just ordered the CS, but listening to demos, Iā€™m kind of wishing I went for the DX instead. It sounds capable of some very crystalline FM sounds that are uniquely clear. Depending on how I feel about the CS after it arrives, I might have to snag a DX as well. I used to have a DX100 back in the day, and the Reface DX doesnā€™t seem all that bad to program to me.

If youā€™ll checkout my profile I had one but I sold it for the Digitone and have no regrets.

That doesnā€™t mean itā€™s not amazing, Iā€™m just a bit strapped for cash. I got it for $220 brand new on Amazon, perhaps the discount is still going on.

Wow youā€™ve already bought and sold one? I didnā€™t even know it was out! Which Amazon store did you get it from? (US? UK? EU?)

What did you think of it?

Yamaha Reface DX has been out for a while if Iā€™m not mistaken. Lots of people purchased them for around $600+ when they first shipped. As I said before I got mine through Amazon and it totaled to $222.

Itā€™s a great synth. Probably the best to legitimately learn FM synthesis on, Digitone is a little easier to program due to the quality-of-life implementations but that might restrict oneā€™s ability to grasp the concepts. The 4 op FM engine sounded great, amazing bells, pads, bass, leads and plucky things :slight_smile: Also has the best mini-keys Iā€™ve ever used. It has 2 decent sounded speakers on it and I usually hate onboard cheez speakers but these were alrivht to have. Also has a battery compartment if youā€™re on the go and want to sound design.

1 Like

Never mind. I thought you were talking about the Dtronics device @Jukka mentioned.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really enjoying the Reface DX. For me the smaller size factor (compared to a DX7) is a major plus, as I donā€™t have the luxury of a large studio space (itā€™s all got to fit on a desk). I actually wanted to get a Preen FM2 but couldnā€™t find one locally (Australia). I would have got a reface dx module if there was one! The OT + reface combo is a joy- the MIDI implementation seems pretty thorough.

I see some people complain about the Reface seemingly based on appearance alone- which seem odd. I do find the small speakers a bit of a curiosity.

The other option I looked at was the Volca FM but the MIDI implementation is incredibly limited.

Many Reface DX users will be aware already of this site but just in case (a very large collection of patches that can be sent to the Reface as sysex):

http://refacedx.martintarenskeen.nl/

2 Likes

I am having some trouble with sysex. Can anyone confirm if the Device ID for their Reface DX is 20? Thanks.

I do not have a Reface DX but the manual says the device number should be irrelevant for SysEx receipt. What are you trying to do?