Yamaha Reface DX

Yes!

2 Likes

Looks nice, gotta love the only very slightly expanded edit interface, heh!

1 Like

sounds / looks promising at first glance… unlike the Aira line :zonked:

Yea they look very pleasing :slight_smile:

I think they look a bit shitty to be honest! But, it’s how they sound at the end of the day. I was hoping for some sort of Aira product that would deliver interchangeable engines (DX, CS, etc).

Hopefully whatever actually does come out (we still don’t know 100% do we?) sells well and convinces Yamaha to revisit the Fs1R. I am STILL gutted I sold mine to fund a pram…

That’s the best quality photo I’ve seen of these so far- are the ones of the others too?
Definitely toy like compared to what many were hoping for, but may still be cool depending on price.

Found all the info on Gearslutz, pretty meh.

Common specs:
Size: 530 mm (20 7/8") x 60 mm (2 3/8") x 175 mm (6 7/8")
Weight: 1.9 kg (4 lbs, 3 oz) (not including batteries)
37 HQ mini keys

Ins and outs:
DC IN (12 V) jack
PHONES (6.3 mm, stereo phone jack)
MIDI (mini-DIN IN/OUT)
AUX IN (3.5 mm, mini stereo phone jack)
L/MONO, R (6.3 mm, TS phone jack, unbalanced)
USB (TO HOST)
FOOT CONTROLLER: FC7 (optional) (to adjust the volume)

DX:
4 operator 12 algorithms 32 voices(patches)
Max Poly 8
Engine FM

CP:
6 keyboard types (rdI, rdII, wr, clv, toy, cp)
Max Poly 128
Engine SCM + AWM2

YC:
5 organ types (hammond, vox, farfisa, a (Japanese transistor organ) ,Yamaha YC-45D
Max Poly 128
Engine AWM (organ flutes)

CS:
5 Osc types
Max Poly 8
Engine AN

1 Like

It will all come down to price, won’t it?

Not crazy about mini keys, and it is an inch too long for a carry-on approved case.
But what comes out of the jacks could make all of that much less relevant.

It appears that each comes with little speakers, as well.

Hmm,

Has got a AN1-X, DS-8, Yamaha upright electric and no use for morgans.

wanna be startin cheapa

got be startin cheapa

oh yeah yeah

Super cute. As a ridiculous FM fan, I’d totally consider the FM one.

Only 4 operator though . Any indication that it has waves other than sine?

Wouldn’t you rather just get a DX7-II secondhand? Or DX11? Its prob cheaper and I can’t really see any advantage in buying the midget version other than it being … a midget version. Which I’m actually not a fan off, and I have small fingers.cWith modern converters. Which actually also might not be a good thing. And speakers. Ouch.

There are so many dirt-cheap(and maybe better sounding) alternatives on the secondhandmarket for this I really don’t see why anyone would buy this…

This design can’t be the way!

No knobs! If this is their way for 21st century FM, then they have learned nothing.

completely agreed. i’d rather get a dx21 again. this is a pretty big fail imo.

I think it is amazing that any company is releasing a dedicated non-VA digital synth at the moment! Meanwhile we are drowning in monosynths.

The interface is definitely not ideal, but probably fine for 4-op duties. Anyway its the MIDI spec that’s important (coming from a former tx81z and fs1r owner).

I think it is amazing that any company is releasing a dedicated non-VA digital synth at the moment! Meanwhile we are drowning in monosynths.

The interface is definitely not ideal, but probably fine for 4-op duties. Anyway its the MIDI spec that’s important (coming from a former tx81z and fs1r owner).[/quote]
You bring up a really good point. If it has a decent midi spec and I can control it via CCs, I don’t give as much of a damn about the limitations.

Yeah, if it has full MIDI CC control I’ll find it very hard to resist.

The CS looks cool as well. I love the CS01 and it looks like an expanded version. Who cares if it’s digital, if it can make the same sweet electro bass and crazy chiptuney leads as the CS01 then I’m interested.

Terrible video aside, the interface looks pretty good.

Some insight into development…

1 Like

GRANDIOSE !!! :joy: