Yamaha Reface DX

MAGNIFIQUE :slight_smile:
EXQUISITE!

I think the DX sounds pretty amazing, personally. Maybe not $700 amazing, but Iā€™ll have to give it a try in a store before making a solid decision.

UI doesnā€™t look that bad. Here is the Sonic state video on the Reface DX. There are also videos for the YC, CS and the CP.

$499 Preorder from Musicians Friend. Seems a lot to me, especially given the stupid mini keys, and other weird design decisions.
But, for all the people still excitedā€¦have fun!

Yikes, just buy a TX81Z for 80 smackers instead! Probably way better sounding too!

so am I missing something? is the Reface DX essentially a DX100 without a mod wheel, plus a better interface with some effects?

I use FM4 with Ipad and a midi keyboard, and I was interested by the new reface DX, until I see the price ā€¦ I keep my ipad + small keyboard, I have more possibility for just little more money.

Two things to note: 1) the tx81z can only be tweaked live using sysex, and 2) it likes to lock up when you do so :wink:

I can edit my TX81Z live through the frontpanel, and it has never frozen up on me in the 20+ years Iā€™ve had it, but maybe mine is special :slight_smile:

And believe me, I love to go wild live with it, check my Strike and Dead bears albums. Not a track without me going apeshit on the + and -!

And the 12bits converters prob does mean it sounds unlike the Reface cleanliness. I like 12bits :slight_smile:

Lol, you are bring back memoriesā€¦ terrible memories. No argument on the 12-bit grit though!

4 ops and 8 notes are certainly not what I would have predicted. I guess I could understand the KISS principle behind the 4 op approach and not wanting to scare or confuse people, but 8 voice polyphony? Surely thatā€™s not a technical limitation in this day and age?

And whatā€™s up with the octave slider? Assuming one of its functions is to switch octaves on the keyboard, is this not the one area where the button-focused design would have paid off?

Iā€™d like to think that Yamaha have a bigger, more capable FM machine in the wings and this is just a taster - but then I also would have hoped that its price, if and when it appeared, would be around the price of the Reface.

Still, itā€™s a new hardware FM synth in an analog age - so, baffling as much of it is, it does feel a bit mean to complainā€¦

4 banks of 8 presets on the DX seems a bad decision to me. Using iOS for patch storage is fair enoughā€¦but in this day and age of digital? Come on. Seems a bit of a cop out.

The entire line seems like a cop out to me.

Yea, itā€™s rubbing me the wrong way too.
I guess if you want rotary control on a Yamaha, youā€™ll have to buy a motorcycle.

These boards were made in collaboration with Doctor Mix, whose slogan is
[ul]
[li]Easy[/li]
[li]Cheap[/li]
[li]Guaranteed[/li]
[/ul]

So, thereā€™s that.

Hearing the DX, thereā€™s some serious possibilities there. The CS is disappointing.

got a DX-11 a year or so ago for $100 shipped.

if they would have made something that was one part of the FS1r in a tiny keyboard w/knobs iā€™d be all over it.

this thing sounds good, editing seems reasonable but itā€™s not doing anything new and itā€™s $500 or somethingā€¦ . DX stuff is all over the place for cheap. editing might be a little more tedious but the value per dollar is high on DX7 etcā€¦

iā€™m curious what the other new thing theyā€™re working on is all about? montage or whatever itā€™s calledā€¦ has some ā€œalienā€ like synthesis jibba jabba according to richard devineā€¦ something new/different etcā€¦ hopefully itā€™s not a workstationā€¦

wellā€¦ reallyā€¦ i donā€™t care but itā€™ll be more interesting to read about on the web if itā€™s something cool :slight_smile:

the DX seems a lot more promising than the other three.
but why on earth do they have built-in speakers?? they couldve used the space and budget for something likeā€¦ yeah a mod wheel for example

Iā€™ll take it over AIRA any day. FWIW

Think the DX looks pretty good and not too pricey really at Ā£290. If the looper works well with midi-clock, sending and syncing to, I can see having a load of fun jamming with friends with Volcas and acoustic instruments out and about. Shame theyā€™re not out until the autumn as look to be made for the summer.

the pricing should land close above the volcas, then it could get close to give it a chance (for a big plastic box) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hmm Yamaha celebrate

their history in strange ways

here is a 2016 YZ450f in 70s/80s livery

weird