Yamaha Reface DX

I’m trying to use a midi processor to map a cc from the octatrack to control the LFO speed on the DX (the DX does not have a dedicated cc for LFO speed).
@sezare56 has given me some pointers but no luck so far. It doesn’t help that I know almost nothing about sysex!

If anyone can chime in here:

I found this thread which actually has the sysex code to do what I want:
https://www.yamahasynth.com/ask-a-question/sysex-command-for-parameter-change-to-a-reface-dx

I program the Event Processor Plus like this:
(setting 1, all other settings cleared)
Map a MIDI event
map cc79 to variable 1, (Midi channel 1)
to this MIDI event:
sysex (F0 43 10 7F 1C 05 30 00 12 V1 F7)

then transmit this to the EPP.

Then I plug the OT midi out to the EPP, and then out to the Reface DX. (OT track set to midi channel 1, DX set to receive on Ch1).
OT midi CC3 is set to transmit cc79.
Navigate to the LFO speed page of the DX. Turn the encoder on the OT, watch the LFO speed value on the DX and…nothing.

EDIT- not nothing exactly. If I very quickly turn the encoder all the way down, the LFO speed DOES change to 0. But then it won’t move again. I also tried this with another MIDI controller (not the OT) connected to the DX and it did the same thing.

Can someone take pity on me and tell me what am I doing wrong? Should it be possible to program the EPP so that I can control LFO speed in real time?

Your SysEx string is correct. Your method will work in theory. You need a user of the Event Processor Plus to tell you whether you are configuring it correctly.

You could also try automating some other parameters on the Reface to see whether there is some systematic problem.

You should try to ensure (at least for this initial testing) that you are not sending any other MIDI messages from the OT on channel 1.

1 Like

So I got there.

I was confused by whole ‘variable’ thing and as it turned out my gut feeling was right.

I just mapped the cc directly to the sysex message F0 43 10 7F 1C 05 30 00 12 YY F7.

Feels good to actually work something out albeit with some help- thanks @PeterHanes and @sezare56 ! (I also emailed John at MIDI solutions, who confirmed I was on the right track with direct mapping. He offered to look at the file for me if I couldn’t work it out, which was nice)

1 Like

Congrats! MIDI DIPLOMA!

2 Likes

With the Reface DX, you can have a user patch in a storage slot, but you can reset to the preset patch at any point. Which means the preset patch must be stored in there somewhere right?

I wonder, could there be some way to use sysex/midi processor to be able to access both patches- the user patch and the preset?

I wrote a program for the Events Processor Plus to give the OT control over more parameters of the Reface DX. While testing it I started jamming and kind of liked the result. Just a live ‘one take’ recording, all audio is directly from the Reface DX.

2 Likes

Recently got the Dtronics DT-RDX controller for the Reface DX and I can confirm that it’s an excellent device. I’m able to program the synth with much more ease and control. You can edit multiple operators at the same time. Great addition to the Reface.

6 Likes

RemofaceDX M4L by Katushiro Chiba

Max for live device
Very beautiful GUI.

2 Likes

If having the DN, is it any purpose in getting the Reface DX?

The keyboard is really nice :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, they’re very similar. The Reface has a bit more of an open architecture in that each operator is equal (e.g. all operators have feedback), so it’s possibly capable of a slightly wider range of pure FM sounds.

Personally, I’d go for the CS or CP variants to pair with the Digitone. The CP has some really nice sounds, and can go pretty wacky as well.

1 Like

I bought the CP on a hunch and it’s now one of my favorite keyboards. I was surprised the range of sounds you can get out of it with the FX and it also ignited quite a fondness in me for the clavinet.

1 Like

I too would go for the CP. The CS has many sweetspots, but you cant save patches and those sliders are very sensitive.

1 Like

I briefly had a CS and think it’s pretty fantastic, but those sliders were also just too small for me. Like the Boutique series, sometimes keeping the same form factor between the whole lineup can lead to fiddly results. The CP seemed the perfect execution of the form to me.

1 Like

I love the Reface CP so very much. The keys feel great and the Rhodes sounds speak to my soul…

4 Likes

I’m in the process of buying a smallish midi-keyboard for my desktop. At first I looked at the Arturia Keystep 37 but then I realized that I have enough sequencing muscle in my setup allready, I have basically no need for that side at all. Now someone is selling a Reface DX locally and I thought that maybe this is the answer. Small form factor and doubles as a sound source. Also costs second hand almost exactly the same as a new Keystep 37.

Are there any pros or cons I should consider before plunging? Is the pitch bend usable? How about the keybed? Would you recommend the Reface DX as the main keyboard for a very small studio?

4 Likes

the Keybed on the Reface series is the best in the minikeys range.

i only have a Keystep (not the new ones) and the Reface series are miiiles ahead when it comes to the keybed. with that said i understand that the newer Arturia devices have better keybeds, but i doubt they will match the reface.

4 Likes

I love my DX dude, its just great, keyboard is awesome, and the pitch bender is sweet. Sounds great too. Go for it!

3 Likes

The Reface keys might be my favorite keys to play regardless of them being mini. The Reface DX is awesome!

4 Likes

It’s cool, but it don’thave a modwheel…If you Need Something Like this, consider to buy an Other Keyboard…

1 Like