Yamaha Reface CS thread

Still think about my Reface years from time to time, for the very reason you’re describing.

I missed some weight in the CS sound in the end, which is why I sold it. It didn’t quite fill up the space on its own, without processing.

But I do wonder if it was just me not handling it right. The Reface concept remains killer and I hope Yamaha comes up with more along the same lines.

1 Like

Yeah I kind of ditched it for the same reason. But with everything I own and the knowledge I’ve acquired I think I could take it to heights I could t before…

Also that Keybed is second to none in the mini keys class

2 Likes

Totally agree. Fantastic keybed.

If the CS had even a few onboard presets, and an arpeggiator/sequencer instead of the looper, it probably would never leave my set up. Also, unless they’ve updated the app, I really wish I could configure the internal settings via the SoundModo app, and not by holding down arcane key combinations while powering the unit on and off.

I still have a lot to learn on the opsix, so my CS is currently leaning up against a Keystep in my “Not using it right now, but will never get rid of it” corner. I’m surprised the Refaces haven’t received upgrades and/or new friends.

This is a cool arp/etc utility, and integrates well as a “preset loader” for the Reface lines.

I had the same relevation for a while :slight_smile:
After using software and hardware modular for some years, having A4 and DN as my main synths, I more and more realized - even though I learned how to do more complex patches - I rarely use them in tracks.
I really use rather simple sounds most of the time and stack them up. I need sounds that fit in the mix together with other synth sounds.

And for those sounds, a simple interface is just much more suited. Few controls to dial in what I need, but with a few nice touches, that let you add some uniqueness, like a bit of ringmod, filter fm, or just a musical resonance in the filter, that let you find some nice places. In software I use simple VA Synth the most, like TAL, Repro, the new Modal 84 from softube. Just dial in sounds super quick.

I’ve been watching the refaces and boutiques forever. Same as rather simple keyboard polysynths.
The main reason why I stay with DN/A4 is the multitimbrality. I usually need at least for different synth tracks in a song, some of them polyphonic. If I wouldn’t use those multitimbral synths, I’d have to clutter my desk with refaces/boutiques, or I’d have to record take after take from a keyboard poly… I don’t really like both options.

DN imo is a very good balance of immediacy and versatility. I often still would want a knob per function synth. I probably should get a nord lead again.

3 Likes

Floating Points disagrees:
“…machines that can be a musical extension of yourself.
I feel that same thing about the Yamaha CS Reface. It’s an incredible synth for the money. It’s got thunderously low, good bass on it.”
(Coincidental read today, it’s a good interview)

I have my Reface CS boxed up and chilling at the moment. I really do enjoy it’s simplicity and the bang for buck is great for anyone wanting to learn Subtractive Synthesis on hardware. I won’t sell it so I can give it to my children when they’re old enough to learn on it.

3 Likes

A lot of people claim that X, Y or Z has no bass, and I usually don’t understand them at all. It’s usually the “I tried this for 20 seconds” crowd that says this. The CS definitely has enough “weight” in my ears. If you need more, turn up the bass knob in your mixer – that’s all the processing you’ll need.

That said, even though I love my CS, I do wish it had an additional LFO and an easier way to save presets.

1 Like

I’ve had one of these for a number of years now and I think it’s a great little synth. Sure, I could make a substantial list of things I wish were different about it but taken as a whole I think it is very capable, plays well, and sounds damn good.
There are things that take some getting used to like the looper control and the feg/aeg fader not exactly working intuitively (though it works just like the one on the cs5 did). Oh, and the auto shut off. But hey, new synth new workflow.
I mostly use this keyboard in a band in which I play drums and have this to the side. It really comes to life at stage volume through a proper big system but I’ve had a lot of great rainy lunch breaks in my truck with this too.
Based on the strength of the CS I would love to try out the YC since I’m an organ nut! I’m mildly curious about the CP too. I’m waist deep in fm so the DX would be absurdly redundant for me.

Yes, I’m a little baby who can’t use a synthesiser. Obviously it can produce bass frequencies, my specific issue was that the filter becomes “flabby” and loses clarity when set low with a bit of resonance.

Every synth sound on my most recent EP was made on a Reface CS

Same goes for the continuous mixtape of it’s B-sides

3 Likes

Sorry that I offended you. I didn’t even read your original message; I was replying to johnl about people complaining about bass in general, and not to any specific comments that you made. So my comment wasn’t meant to directly attack you, but I can understand that it comes across that way.

In the UK the Reface has been out of stock everywhere for months, but a whole bunch of them just came in so I grabbed one.
I was thinking about picking up an Argon 5s, but even though the Reface CS is now 7 years old it still seems pretty hard to beat for the money.

The keybed is superb for a budget Synth and having one knob per function, speakers and batteries makes it so immediate. My kids love it as well.

I’m planning to hook it up to my Polyend Tracker to sequence it and also create some sounds to sample in and use as a MIDI controller with my laptop (The keys are so much better than my LaunchKey mini it’s not even funny).

It’s almost perfect, but I wish they would do an update with a proper sequencer and MIDI on something other than a horrible MIDI DIN ( I know I will lose or break the adapter)

Something’s going on with Refaces.

In the London Yamaha store a few weeks ago there was only a YC left on the reface display but all the prices were something like £530!!

2 Likes

I’ll kick myself if they announce a new one a week after I’ve bought one, but they are already starting to sell secondhand at close to the new price because of the lack of availability and I could also see an outcome where they get discontinued and due to a few big name folks loving them (Floating Points etc) they end up becoming a future classic and being worth a load of cash.

Damn that was close. Was in a store yesterday. Played with the Reface CS. Ooh, it sounds and feels good. Almost, almost got one again.

It really stands the test of time as well. Still feels relevant after all these years it’s been out. When Yamaha gets something right, nothing else can touch them.

7 Likes

Always wanted to try one of these. Never did. If still really appeals to me

1 Like

I totally agree. Yamaha does some really classy stuff. The Refaces are amazing. I was just thinking the other day that I wish Yamaha would come out with a sampler.

(I have the CP and YC and could see myself adding a CS as stupid as it would be to have three little keyboards).

3 Likes

polyphonic Reface sampler keyboard :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I must dig mine out and have a play.

I’ve been thinking about selling it but it’s such a fun hands on device.

1 Like