Yamaha Reface CS thread

I’ve never made a bass patch on the CS I was happy with. Doesn’t seem to be its strength. I think it’s better suited for atmospheric and dreamy stuff, glitch ambient haunts and that kind of otherwordly things. So I share your experience and got nothing to offer, cause I never did manage to get those low-ends right with the CS.

2 Likes

Btw, one tip : I was pretty annoyed at these speakers as they were playing even when sending the sound on my mixer through the stereo outs.
I found I had to plug a jack in headphones input to get rid of this awful sound !

2 Likes

You can turn it off. While powering on the CS, keep A2 (or something) pressed. Off it goes, the speaker.

3 Likes

OK, thx, I had missed it :slight_smile:

1 Like

An FM bass patch I made.

2 Likes

I downloaded the Soundmondo app on my phone yesterday. I was skeptical about it at first, but it is incredibly slick and easy to use with only a single usb cable connected to an adapter. The inability to save patches on the synth itself seems like a non-issue with this app. Just wanted to share my experience for anyone who might like everything else about this synth, but are turned off by lack of patch storage on the unit.

2 Likes

Here’s a poly FM sound I made.

Metallica Fade to Black. Cool :grinning:

2 Likes

What’s the catch with this synth? Sounds great (from YouTube vids), has lots of effects, a looper that does up to 10 minutes and lets you tweak the parameters of the loop after it’s recorded, low profile (less than 7 inches in depth), battery operated option, MIDI din out, 8 voice poly, and fader-per-function. Thinking of getting one. Is there a reason the Reface series doesn’t get much love or show up much in people’s setups? Korg, Roland are everywhere but I rarely see these in setups.

It’s a player’s board. No patch saving, no sequencer, very basic midi stuff. And at the time of launch, it was a lot more expensive than it is now. You wanna appreciate the quality of the mini keys to think it’s worth it.

I had one for awhile and still feel nothing but love for it.

1 Like

Ignored this until today but now it’s got my attention.
I’m looking for a sweetspot poly where I can dial in sounds very fast while doing tracks.
Have the A4 but rarely use it when I work in Ableton. I use it more on it’s own or with modular. Usually using Diva or Repro for fast sound creation, but a hardware synth would be nice for the job.
Thought about minilogue, deepmind, but this looks pretty sweet and focused.
Demos sound surprisingly good. Is it a good allrounder? Can it’s basic sound compete with the others mentioned.
Love the ringmod and fm options

Yeah, I used one for a small amount of time instore when I bought the DX. It’s very quick, on par with the Nord Lead in terms of everything being there to tweak. The sound is great too, they really nailed it imo.

It’s a great synth but I was a little disappointed by its bass output. All of the synth engines sorta lose power in the low registers, and the filter falls apart at high resonance settings too. But if you already have bass covered by something else then the CS really excels at quickly coming up with a wide range of wavy leads and sparkly pads.

Really like the keybed so I ended up keeping my Reface DX, mainly as a midi controller because of the screen and accessibility of midi parameters.

1 Like

Yeah this is the big one for me. It’s such a great MIDI controller; I have it plugged in via both USB and DIN MIDI to control softsynths as well as whatever hardware synth I’m using.

I kinda wish I’d bought the CS or CP instead though, especially with the DN having such a similar engine to the DX… maybe someone local will want to trade…

I have the 0-coast and A4 for bass, but I tend to use Monark most of the time…
I hoped the CS could cover everything well
At least it can do the Roygbiv bass

2 Likes

One thing that has kept me from buying it is the lack of patch memory. But I see there is an iOS app for presets for it. Starts at around 2:00.

With the looper, the effects, the polyphony, the size, and the battery option, I think this could be a nice thing to have around the house for coming up with ideas on the couch.

1 Like

I will try it most likely

Yeah the iOS app is suprisingly easy to use. Much easier than trying to get the desktop site working…

Pretty amazing sounds

Edit: Sorry, same video as the first one in this thread :sweat_smile:

Reviving this thread, because I may have had a revelation…

I’ve come to realize that one thing that makes me really appreciate a synth is simplicity. Having owned great synths like monomachine, Digitone, Analog 4, Hydrasynth. I’ve found that the complexity of them no matter how user friendly the UI is, turns me off… the synths I’ve enjoyed the most are simple by definition, Minitaur, Reface CS, OP-Z and OP-1, JX-03, SH-01a.

My first synth I purchased some 5 years ago was a Reface CS, I kept it for well over 2years while I went of exploring this wonderful world of synthesizers.

With the knowledge I’ve acquired from owning elektrons and modular I’ve come to realize that the reface CS is what I’ve been longing for in a synth lately… playability, knob per function, simple, sounds great! polyphony… I’ve decided to purchase it once more and add a chase bliss dark world pedal at the end of it for that lush crackling reverb sound…

9 Likes