Yamaha Reface CS thread

I didn’t have any interest in this synth until recently, as I was looking for a good compact midi keyboard to go with my Modor NF-1’s. I saw that this Reface is on sale right now, it would aesthetically go so damn well with the Modors, and it sounds freaking amazing from demos I’ve heard. Anyone got any thoughts on this one?

It sounds really nice. I bought the DX earlier this year, but kinda wish I went with the CS instead. I obsessively watched videos and played them in store as well. The DX sounds great (possibly better) but the editing just does my head in—those touch sliders aren’t the best controller. At the time, the dealbreaker for the CS was simply that it can’t store presets on the unit itself; other than that the controls are excellent and very reminiscent of the CS01 imo.

Ah well, maybe one day I’ll find someone to trade with :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah, they’re both on sale right now. I’m still trying to figure out if I want to pay extra to get one, or to just get an Arturia Keystep. I’m having a difficult time deciding which one I’d rather have too, but I’m kind of leaning towards the CS because I wish the DX had real feedback.

Had a DX and the interface was terrible.
Those touch slider things are rubbish.
Sounded pretty good though

It sounds brilliant and the minikeys are superior to any other attempt at this shrinking stuff. It has a lot of character, too, and oozes with sweet spots. One of my favourites over the years.

2 Likes

I’m leaning toward one also, maybe I will buy one for my kids as a “present” and “borrow it” intermittently. :nyan:

4 Likes

The same exact thought crossed my mind; I have a 7 year old daughter.

3 Likes

It’s a very kid’s friendly piece of gear. Just pull the sliders, press the keys, you’re making music even when you try not to.

4 Likes

The CP is still normal price though.

Ok, I ordered one. The way I look at it, each osc mode is kind of like a highly tweakable preset. Just have to adjust the envelope and LFO to taste, which I’m usually fidgeting around with anyhow depending on the tempo and mood of a track. It looks super quick and easy to dial these types of things in.

3 Likes

You’ll be pleasently surprised. There’s a lot more to it than that, in terms of sound design.

2 Likes

I think they look great together; wouldn’t you agree? I’m really digging the FM and Super Saw so far.

5 Likes

You’ve heard it several times already, but these keys are very satisfying. This little thing brings out the songwriter in me. All of a sudden I’m a keyboard player or something lol. I have the Reface DX arriving this Wednesday, and I’m questioning my need for 2 Modors now. I’m really enjoying these Yamaha sounds. I almost forgot how great they are; I’m preferring the sounds of the CS to the Nord A1.

1 Like

I definitely should not have watched that first video. They’re blowing these out at £250 new. I’d feel bad owning both the CS and DX but it’s quite tempting…

2 Likes

I’m trying my hardest to resist the urge of getting the CP too. It just sounds so damn good.

1 Like

Hahah, I just bought the CS. It’s like Pokémon cards in here. Any UK 'nauts want to assuage my guilt and buy a cheap DX?

1 Like

It arrived today. It’s very good! The knobs are satisfyingly stiff and responsive, there’s a lot of variety within the osc settings and, most importantly, it sounds great. Obviously it would be nice to have LFO shapes, more envelope destinations, etc etc, but I’ve found that really simple instruments pair best with the Octatrack. This thing doesn’t have much competition IMO, except maybe the micromonsta.

Next up is sending it a barrage of plocks :smiling_imp:

1 Like

i like my CP a lot. i just use the rhodes mk 1 sound, one of my favourite instruments ever. but: the mini keys might be better than others, but somehow they don´t make sense for playing a rhodes. at least one octave is missing. the built in speakers are a joke anyway. would have prefered a stand alone sound modul. anyway, i love it and it looks good.
thought about getting a CS too, but didn´t want another keyboard on my desk, so i forgot about it.
thanks to that thread i checked prize at thomann: 276,- € !!!
not sure if i´ll make it through the day not buying it ! lol

1 Like

Hey @Prints and any other owners, how are you finding the bass on the CS? Was noodling around today trying to make some decent bass patches, and it seems like the waves really fall apart in the lowest octave, and the filter just kinda disappears when you pull it low enough, even with resonance up. I made the stupid mistake of trying to match some patches in an SH101 video, hah. So far the best I’ve managed is sawtooth or square with the texture maxed. Any tips?

1 Like

It’s been all about pads with heavy chorus for me. I think the filter has a really interesting/special resonance. I managed to get some interesting bass with the FM. I think OSC modulation need to be off because the LFO is constantly free running, and it can mess with the phase. Maybe subtle distortion could help.

1 Like