Xone 96 Mixer

Damn, just bought a RNC 1773 compressor as master insert. Now I´m figuring out that it´ll be not recorded with USB11/12. :confused:
Did you find a smart workaround? Do I need to fetch the MOTU Ultralite mk3?!
Or stereo out into OT. :wink:

1 Like

Advice about my setup:

Setup now:

1. Small PA mixer: all of my other small synths (D05, streichfett, volca, nord electro, …)
  2. Xone DB 2 Mixer: A4, AR, Digitone & PA mixer (used it for livesets but now I dont anymore)
  3. Motu Ultralite Interface
  4. Ultragain ADAT inputs for 8 extra channels
  5. Presonus Monitor Station: mainly because I like to control 2 pair of monitors in my studio + Mono knob

Problem: I don’t like the idea that now I have 3/4 hardware devices (interface, mixer, adat inputs, monitor controller) that in fact could be replaced with 1. Since overbridge works well, I dont need those mono inputs anymore. + I don’t really like the Motu Audio Interface browser app in the browser, If I would like to change things in the mixer I need to hook up the PC. For those reasons I am thinking about the Xone 96.

It would replace my Xone DB2, Monitor Controller, Audio Interface, extra adat input …
I would keep my little PA Mixer for the small synths.

Any thoughts? Did I forget something? Will I have problems with my DAW, recording mic, preamp quality? ect … ? Midi is no problem, I have an Midi interface.

Did you check if the dimensions fit? The 96 doesn’t fit most 12" ATA cases for mixers as I stated above.

I use the record out(RCA) on Xone96 into either the line in socket on my PC (using audacity) or on my external zoom h5 recorder.

Damm bummer you loose USB recording post insert tbh.

1 Like

I just googles “xone 96 odyssey” and it gave me this -

http://thedjhookup.com/allen-and-heath-xone-96-odyssey-fz12mixxdbl-case-bundle.html

Ive only used their coffin cases but they are a good all black style. You would have to check dimensions yourself. It says this -

Fits 12" Format DJ Mixers About 11" to 13.38" Wide, Up to about 16" Deep, Plus 3.5" of Rear Space

Xone96 is 13.25" wide. Should just fit.

1 Like

just got this recently. I use it mainly for playing vinyl.
have some effects units too.
sound quality is absolutely top class.

1 Like

That explains my very linear measurment - how can i record MIC A & B ? not through USB 11/12 ? Are they recorded, where did you get that info?

how so not through 11/12 ?

I got it, there was a switch to toggle between send and master record, which was the default.

Its below the master send controls, and not on the channel.

As i did measurement with REW, the recoring was very true to the source:

Now i see that my room, isnt optimal, well i already heared it without measuring, but one needs to know before filling up space with absorbers. And i need to know, when its enough.

Ideal curve , vs XONE 96:

https://www.roomeqwizard.com/help/help_en-GB/html/calsoundcard.html#calmeasure

Compare the image i did post before, over 60 db it was very linear. Also in the lower frequency /higher frequency range.

Will barely fit, if at all. The Xone dimension drawings don’t account for the knobby little offsets on the side that put it at about 13.4" wide. The Ody case is is approximately about how wide my 92 flight case was.

Cool…what about trying a pelican case?

9/10 and 11/12 are used for recording the sends 1 and 2 respectively .

11/12 can toggle between master and send 2 as well.

If you want to record Mic A or B you will have to send them into sends 1 or 2 or record the master bus.

1 Like

Yes, i did that and it worked fine then.
Just had a nasty feedback loop running then while the fader was down, did not really have an explanation for it, as i use the booth out to monitor.

1 Like

did you send your channel “A” to itself?

1 Like

I think, that would be possible. The A channel, has also send A, i thought, that with activating this send, it would actually feed into a send bus, and not to the input. I try it to send B, then record that.

That might add some creative opportunity. (when not trying to do REW measurement.)

Yeh that sounds weird. When sending it should only be going out the A bus (over usb) to PC.

Sure it wasnt just normal feedback from mic picking up speakers etc etc etc etc etc etc etc :wink:

This way of feedbacking is really nice for layering reverb and delay feedback :wink: It’s sorta the reason why it’s existed on the Xones before. The A/B channels would be returns for sends, and you’d send the return to itself.

Can anyone confirm:
@Sternenlicht

The button beneath master 2 labelled as “USB 11/12” let’s me choose for example in my DAW, if I select input USB 11/12 in my DAW, it takes the “mix” sended to my master OR the source I choose on channel “B”.

The buttons says “Master or Send 2” but probably means “Master or Channel B” ? Correct?

So If I connect a microphone to channel B, and I choose source MIC B on channel B, then
I can record that microphone in my DAW if I choose input 11/12 in daw? Recorded pre fader?

No its master or send 2.

Channels 1-4 (1/2 3/4 5/6 7/8) normal as they send to pc what is plugged into jack on back.

The last 2 stereo sends to pc are either

• send 1 and send 2 or
    send 1 and master.

Theres a table in the Xone96 manual showing you the routings for in and out.

If you want to record MIC prefader you will have to use send 1 (9/10) and push the pre button below send 1 for the chancel your mic is plugged into. Send 2 doesnt have the pre option.

Page 23

1 Like