Xone 96 Mixer

Ok thanks, I already looked at the manual 5 times :laughing: but I didnā€™t understand it, now I understand.

You can send the outputs 9/10 and 11/12 to channels A and B but itā€™s not the same direction for inputs. Correct? The inputs come from the sends OK i get that now. Thanks, the xone will be delivered next week. I am figuring out now how I will connect everything.

2 Likes

Is it possible to connect my sub 37 tot Mic A or B input or will the volume / stage gaining not be correct?

Yes inputs to mixer can be sent to all 6 stereo channels from computer as ā€œnormalā€. Outputs from mixer are a little different :wink: Youve got it.

Why do you want to connect sub via MIC? Both those channels have line inputs, they are labeled return A and return B. I hook my elektron gear into both A/B. See this video , Rtym and Analog4 are using A/B-

3 Likes

Checked out your hybrid liveset !!! just wow.

I got mine this morning but I have 1 issue:

send 1 returns as mono (right) on my return channel C or D
because I did not understand i switched return channels C / D, same result
when i test with send 2 it returns as stereo ā€¦

Is my send 1 malfunctioning?

Thanks .

Both sends should be stereo.

Double check all your cables and what fx your sending into etc.

Yep, its because I had the Hi-Z button pressed in. On channel A (return) I connected my Voicelive VOCAL pedal. But because itā€™s a pedal the volume is very low. Thats why I needed to enable or disable Hi-Z. But when you do that it only outputs mono (send) damnit!

I fixed it by pulling out input R of my reverb/delay pedal (where Send 1 goes too) if you can follow me :smiley: . The pedal then knows he recieves mono and turns the mono input to stereo output :wink:
Nobody will care I think, but I write it down anyway, maybe in the future I forgot I had this problem and will return to this topic.

So OK, just one thing left and thats setting up traktor tor record a mix from the xone 96. not able to get any signal into the recording yet.

1 Like

Use channels 11/12. Make sure button top right is set to master and not send 2.

Should see signal in Traktor once choosing 11/12 in software.

Hey there thanks for all of the advice in this thread. I am hoping yo set up a 96 to use live and was wondering if this sounds correct please. The two send/returns would go to delay and reverb pedals. One line channel would be Analog4 main out, one line channel would be rytm main out, the remaining two line outs would be for the kick and snare. My question is what is the best way to connect the kick and snare channels - TRS out to stereo rca cables?

You mean the kick and snare separate from the Rytm?

If so -

TS to RCA, probably. However, you need to note that ch. 1-4 are stereo channels, and expect a stereo in. Youā€™ll get a very oddly-panned kick/snare to one channel since the circuit diagram doesnā€™t show the left channel getting multed to the right if thereā€™s no right input (unlike the return channels). Youā€™ll either need to manually mult your mono signal to L/R, or run it into mono in on return 1/2.

The 96 was designed as a DJ mixer, thatā€™s why ch. 1-4 are RCA in (CDJs, Traktor interfaces, turntables). Donā€™t forget to remove your kick and snare from your ARā€™s master out, otherwise youā€™ll get doubling.

This is for djing /jamming or producing?

If you want to produce I would stay away from these dj mixers.

Buy a good sound card with multiple inputs, or a good analog mixer, Mackie or the new SSL.

Actually, the soundcards in the xone:96 are of high quality, ultra low latency.
Can you elaborate on why you would stay away from it for production purposes?
imho in cases where one wants to use it for live situations as well as a soundcard for productions, itā€™s a great option.

(heā€™s also talking about using Traktor fyi :wink: )

4 Likes

WoW :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Agreed for the ā€œproductionā€ side of thingsā€¦ To a certain extent. Buying a good Soundcard with multiple I/O is a good option.
Nevertheless, I use an Analog DJ mixer for live and prod work also. Would not look back at this stage.

1 Like

Yeh Iā€™ve used Mackies, edirol soundcards. To my ears the Xone 96 is easily up there with sound quality.

Full analog Allen n heath with very good soundcard built in. Only thing its not good at is mono channels.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone - I am learning so much. I currently have a Qu16 mixer but it is just too big to take around for gigs. I have been DJing on vinyl then serato for 20years and have a different setup for that - but I do want to start playing live more and would like to use the same setup in my studio (so that I am very comfortable with it). I canā€™t afford to keep the Qu16 if I go for the the Xone96, but I have heard only good things about the sound and the soundcard that this mixer has :slight_smile:

I am still trying to wrap my head around the best setup - ideally Iā€™d like to have two sends going out to a dub delay pedal and a reverb pedal and was thinking that SendA and Send B would be best for this? Would this mean that the SendA and SendB faders would control the amount of delay and reverb signals coming back into the main mix? Could I also send their signal to the delay to make a massive dub delay loop?

If possible having the snare from the Rytm as a separate source so I could massively affect it with both pedals would be sweet - I could double it up (never thought of that) by using the same sound on two pads of the Rytm and then plug them into the rca of one channel.

Then the Rytm main would go into one channel rca, the Analog4 into the third rca channel.

Would this work? Is there a better option for setup than this please?

Thanks everyone - very excited to do this - ordered a 96 to my local shop already.

Im thinking this would work :wink: Not tried as I use the other returns for my fx. Should be fine I recon.

I think you could just use the single mono snare and split it to the left and right using a cable. Save wasting 2 pads

1 Like

You can indeed feed send 1 /2back onto themselves when using return a/b. Watch out though :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone - I REALLY appreciate all the help to get my head around things. Have a creative day!

If anyone would like the wave files from any of my tracks I can share them with you: www.soundcloud.com/riddimfernandez

1 Like