X GND Squadron

Record a piece of audio exploiting only GND machines as sound sources.

Limitations:

• Open to anyone with a Machinedrum SPS-1 using X.04
  • All audio must come from the Machinedrum GND machines exclusively (you can route outputs into INP machines etc)
  • No post prod, plug-ins, external fx, external midi cc or other means of affecting the audio, all in the box live and direct recording
  • No mastering/limiter slamming
  • All CTR machines and Master effects viable
  • RAM machines viable
  • Pattern & Song mode viable
  • X.04 performance features very much viable

Update

Submissions will now be considered for a compilation to be released on https://0daysysex.bandcamp.com

For those unfamiliar with @Ess label this enables the project to become open source and we request you include a .syx file for each recording that will be included in the release.
Audio will be mastered by Ess.

Share your sounds in this thread or DM @waftlord with your files if you prefer.

The compilation intends to be a celebration of 20 years of Machinedrum and the new power of X.04.

19 Likes

Any deadline?

no rush. when there’s enough great tracks :slight_smile:

1 Like

updated the post details, please do share with MD users who don’t use this forum.

Awesome :rocket:

1 Like

Preordered :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome!! So just to be clear… no external midi cc means I can’t use my faderfox mx12 to control my MD while recording the performance? Can I even take part in this if I have a SPS-1UW Mk1?

yeah, any MD.

as for external midi controllers the ethos is to keep it all in the box.
but some may enquire about using MCL too…
if you can’t do without your faderfox, there’s no automation and keep it hands on during recording… OK.

1 Like

This is a cool idea. Can we get a B sides album of submissions that don’t make the cut? I love solo MD tracks. They really click

2 Likes

sign me up gold leader!

1 Like

Yall just had to spring this on me while I’m trying to wrap my most recent project :worried: I’m going to try and see if I can piece something together!!! Loving this update by the way!!!

1 Like

Great stuff! Count me in!

The title of the thread reminds me of this awe game and its banging soundtrack :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Am I right to say that you only have access to 4 different Notes (A#, C#, E and G) in the GND_SW and the GND_PU Machines?

Edit : I found the Tonal Mode and it’s awesome.

Is this under the tonal setting of the new X.04?

IN

I’ll have to remove the TRX-BD off my kit but that’s okay :grin:

should have a lot more than 4 notes when in tonal mode! Quarter tone - Wikipedia

there’s some meaty kicks possible with a SN and IM combo :wink: (maybe layering some SW could be nice too for mid range impact)

2 Likes

Is there different Modes for those Machines?

** The following machines gain a new tuning setting: **
GND: SN SW PU
TRX: BD SD XT RS CB CL XC B2 S2
EFM: BD SD XT CP RS CB HH
The “EDIT KIT” menu is updated to incorporate the tuning setting per-track. In
addition to SYNTH, MACHINE and RELATE, one can use [LEFT]/[RIGHT] keys to
access the tonality setting in the right upper corner of the menu, and toggle
between “DEFAULT” and “TONAL” with [UP]/[DOWN] keys.

“TONAL” tuning implements a quater-tone equal tempered tuning scale across the PTCH
parameter of selected machines. When enabled, TONAL has the added benefit of
increasing the machine’s maximum tuning range.

3 Likes

a first trial GND only track i’ll probably include in my sysex as a bonus. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I no longer have my dearly beloved Machinedrum, but I did this challenge back in 2017.

Here’s my submission for this(a little bit of cheating by using a touch of fx from KP3+ and Octatrack(Not intrinsic to the meat of the track, but I had them there)

2 Likes