Would it be beneficial to replace my Machinedrum with a Nord Drum 2/3p if I've got the Pyramid?

Look into your options before you order. I got this one because it was the most compact one, but the feel of something like a Roland KT-10 should be much better.

I use a cheap wooden IKEA stool right now.

Nahh probably wont buy it.

I have a nord drums 2 with pads. I think i will figure it out by searching the manual.

Thatā€™s crazy talk. Maybe if youā€™re using it to help fund a Cirklon, but Iā€™ve seen a few setups with both. The Pyramid is the beeā€™s knees.

3 Likes

THANK YOU! The original statement seemed like a tourist walking into a foreign culture and casually saying criminal words out of not knowing any better :smiley:

Like, ā€œNoooooo you donā€™t know what youā€™re saying! Shhhhh!ā€ :smiley:

No offense to the fine fella that cared enough to share his two cents but the Pyramid is hella cool and I genuinely feel like a better person for having it and using it. I also feel more attractive and suspect Iā€™m also losing weight

1 Like

wait a minute how much better is a cirklon compared to a pyramid? Not trying to set off buyerā€™s remorse with anyone.

1 Like

Iā€™d be interested in a comparison as well. For now it definitely seems that Squarp is out for blood with their competitors!

1 Like

I admit that I donā€™t know a ton about the Cirklon, partially because I dare not look because I will awaken the GAS giant. I know that instrument definitions are one thing it has that the Pyramid does not, but this may appear on the Pyramid in the future. Thereā€™s obvious physical advantages like more midi ports and CV (but Squarp do have plans for some kind of CV breakout due at the end of the year).

The other thing that makes that tricky to answer is that Squarp are due to release a huge update any day now that will add a Pattern mode (so you can launch different patterns like clips in Ableton Live, to the best of my understanding) and a whole lot moreā€¦those using the current beta say it completely changes the Pyramid workflow for the beta (and itā€™s already quite good).

The Pyramid is also about half the price of the Cirklon, with a much shorter wait time, and I have yet to hit any real limits on doing anything I want to try with it, so Iā€™m content to just keep exploring it instead of looking at other options.

3 Likes

Ryan what are you getting with the pyramid + maschine + live combo?

I am going to do a 2000xl as the sequencer + E-RM multiclock as the sync box Maschine Studio + live combo out this weekend.

As far as my difficulty with it, itā€™s just that the "blue hand doesnā€™t transfer to whatever selected track Iā€™m on. It normally stays on just one instrument. Most commonly track 2. Sometimes the track on/off switch will be something different. Either the first track or the most recently added one.

Itā€™s gotten me really wishing Ableton will come out with Push Lite. Iā€™ve got a world of possibility within my computer but I cannot allow myself to click and drag the parameters.

Thanks!

Edit: on the plus side, though; it is REALLY fulfilling to sequence Ableton with the Pyramid. Just this week I had my first OTB/ITB hybrid jam session just to test the waters. Next week Iā€™ll try throwing my iPad into the mix and REALLY get down in it(now I really wish I hadnā€™t sold that Push 2- quick sampling of the iPad through Ableton Link would have been amazing!)(somedayā€¦)

Edit pt 2: I suppose I could just wirelessly transfer sound files into my desktopā€¦? Maybe get that AUM mixer and just send them to the mac and then drag them into he set.

1 Like

Ha. Reading the pyramid manual and hearing you guys talking about it, makes me want to stay away, just seems complicated.

Ha, anyway Iā€™m sure you will buy an md again, once you realise itā€™s gone.

1 Like

It seems more complicated in theory than it actually is. Like Elektron stuff itā€™s jam packed with features but organized in a way thatā€™s fairly intuitive. After you spend a little bit of time working with it, it becomes very internal quickly.

Yeah, the machinedrum is a very special unit. Though Iā€™m selling it, I still love it. Definitely the most fun Elektron to dive into for a good few hours :slight_smile:

ND2 is great, but some of the timbres you can get out of the E12 machines with some high retrig settings to get that karplus strong soundā€¦ MD just kills in this regard.

4 Likes

Still liking your md, with the AR, I see?

Iā€™m kinda glad I just went back to the stock md without the uw and just focus on the synth parts plus the input machines to mess with the mono.

My AR is just such a nicer sampler player.

1 Like

I started out with the non UW, upgraded to the UW solely for the +drive. Loading samples is a pain in the machine and I like the synthesis too much. And I donā€™t really get the point of resampling. Itā€™s kinda cool, but not that much cooler

If I could trade my UW for a non UW + 400 I would gladly take that deal. That would be cool. Due to the external sequencing I donā€™t need the pattern space

1 Like

It easier to navigate than an Elektron. I havenā€™t had to look at the manual once since my initial read through-anytime I want to do something, itā€™s pretty much as simple as pressing ā€œ2ndā€ (like function) and whatever the relevant button seems like it would be.

2 Likes

Whyyyy !?!?!?!?

1 Like

Channel 1

Iā€™m not sure, I have just gone off the idea. I am having trouble with spending money at the moment. i will be out of a job in a few months time so I think this is holding me back from buying anything. I am moving countries. Also, I am not 100% sure if it will fill a big gap in my setup. I am being very selective in ensuring any new equipment fills a real need / gap, without workarounds being available. I have a Juno 60 back home, so this might cover a similar sound (i.e. lush pads) that Perfourmer can provide too. Not quite the same I know.