Would it be beneficial to replace my Machinedrum with a Nord Drum 2/3p if I've got the Pyramid?

you wont have any elektrons soon.

Nonsense. Iā€™ll have the Heat. Also, Iā€™m very reluctant to get rid of he A4-thereā€™s really nothing that compares with it(Iā€™ve looked)*. Also, Iā€™m trying to get an AR(sample support and analog synthesis in one box?! Yes) --that Jomox looks cool, but Iā€™m doubting it will have full Midi control- also it wonā€™t have Strom which is pretty damn cool, and in a way more convenient than live sampling(thanks void)

*- outside of the Vermona PerFourmer. Which is tempting but no replacement for the A4s capabilities, also itā€™s pretty big and wouldnā€™t fit in my set up and would be difficult to lug around

1 Like

You might want to keep something that can sample in your setup; the Nord Drum (any model) makes for great sampler food.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve got the Nord Drum 2 and sequence it with the MPC Live and itā€™s fantastic. I originally had the 3p, but found the pads too noisy for my purpose since Iā€™m usually playing at a lower volume. I actually find myself using it quite often as a synth, itā€™s engines are super versatile and fun to tweak.

If you end up getting one, Iā€™ve attached a NordDrum3P Maschine group that has all the CCs mapped. I have one for the ND2 as well if you get that.

NordDrum3p.mxgrp (67.6 KB)

3 Likes

I was just making a joke with you. Its OK.

1 Like

I didnā€™t find the 3p pads especially noisy compared to other pads, but keep in mind that hitting pretty much anything with drum sticks is going to make some noise.

I did get a pair of closed-back headphones shortly after I got the 3p. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

I really donā€™t have the money to add to the collection (the Heat was a celebration-thus exception). Iā€™m trying to have my bases covered and replacing things that will work best with each other. Also, the midi Control of the MDUW is kinda weird.

The ND2 sounded AMAZING! I just had trouble controlling it over midi. I understand thereā€™s some protocol for it registering incoming midi? Which explains why I couldnā€™t get it to work.

My style of GAS isnā€™t one to collect and build a city of synths. I mostly just want my basses covered and covered well. I only need the A4 for analog synthesis(maybe a Deepmind for analog pads), Blofeld for digital synthesis, electronic percussion, analog percussion, and a little bit of sampling(which can be covered between the AR, iPad and Strom for how little I use samples)

I donā€™t know what happened! I tried sending Midi from MnM and the OT and nothing was working. It was very unreliable to me. I got it working one night and the next it wouldnā€™t register at all! I sent it back and the guy had no problem with it, he said.

Damned shame! It was 600 for ND2, Nord Pad, and stand. Would have been great!

The ND2 is awesome sounding. You just need to make sure there is nothing going into its MIDI input while itā€™s booting up. Apart from that it is flawless, and a great combo with the OT

4 Likes

I have a Nord Drum 2 - with the Pad, love it to bits - and Iā€™ve controlled it extensively with midi.

You will have problems if you only send CCs to the ND on channel 10, which corresponds to whichever channel is ā€œactiveā€ on the hardware - but unless you shift+select, it will become inactive after a few moments, thus it feels like it has stopped responding.

You should be fine if you use channels 1-6 instead. Because there are about 30 CCs per voice (thus per channel), thatā€™s about 180 all together, so you need to be picky about exactly what you want to control.

This thread has been enjoyable to read - I also have a Heat, and a Live on the way, very much looking forward to the possibilities.

If you have Qs about specific ND2 midi control issues, I might be able to help.

Best of luck with your decision.

1 Like

PS I might also pick up a 3P one of these days, or a second ND2 - one unit for sequencing percussion and one for live synth/melodic duties, or roles reversed - that would be an amazing combo.

1 Like

THAT was it! What a lousy defect! I was messaging the seller trying to fix this, I donā€™t understand why that was never mentioned!

Iā€™m leaning towards the 3p right now, hopefully that has been fixed on that.

2 Likes

Holy cow! Thatā€™s a lot to control! Most MD has is 24, 25% more control per voice. Insane!

Iā€™ll review the manuals and see which controls seem more necessary. The 3P seems to be where Iā€™m leaning. Shame thereā€™s no way to get separate outs from either for individual processing, but I like thaā€™verb and with the single stereo out itā€™s all or nothing or sampling, and I like to just get on with it

1 Like

Midi problem solved - if the ND is receiving midi as you turn it on it will get confused and lock up. Turn it on first, then the sequencer or disconnect the midi cable and reboot it.

Edit - what tokin said

2 Likes

Sounds good - I wish the ND2 had the opportunity to cycle through e.g. snare sounds while keeping the rest of the kit intact. The fact that the 3 can do. it, plus the reverb make the 3 pretty attractive imho, particularly if you like playing the padsā€¦

If anyone is interested, here is the CC implementation for the ND2, duplicated across channels 1-6. Iā€™m sure itā€™s similar for the 3:

2 Likes

Thanks for the kick pedal recommendation gonna order that right now. Do you have a drum throne or regular chair?

Hey T which trig do you have the kick pedal hooked up to?

Iā€™m investigating that Perfourmer right now. One day Iā€™ll possess one of those, but I donā€™t think it could possibly replace the A4(or hopefully AK at that point)

I reckon it would be such a lovely time to have those two set up on a table, send the Vermona some CV from the Analog. Two outputs from the Vermona to the AK the other two into an Eventide Space and get a fantastic ambient jam(maybe with a DM12 module in there for pads).

Ahā€¦to dreamā€¦

ā€¦ten minutes of ambient music before bringing in the AR and Nord Drum <3 <3 <3

You pull the trigger on that thing yet?

Thereā€™s only one trigger input on the 3p so thatā€™s the one. :slight_smile:

1 Like