Would it be beneficial to replace my Machinedrum with a Nord Drum 2/3p if I've got the Pyramid?

I know it’s a common belief with Elektron gear that the sequencer is an important aspect of the gear. But since I’ve been doing a lot of external sequencing, and the Pyramid can send CC messages I’m wondering if the MDUW has too much in a covered territory and as a result not enough covered in the sound design territory. Also, the item is pretty big and it would be cool to clear off some space.

I love the tonality of the MDUW. I just want peoples thoughts between the two

Never! Keep the md! Just add to it.

I’m not well-to-do enough for that. It DOES sound nice, though. I like it. Very powerful. The midi is tricky, though. Also, I need the space and the money and I don’t need the sequencer

For the jomox? Or an Elektron kit?

For now, I’m thinking of replacing my MDUW and OT for a ND2 and an AR(because I can’t think of an analog drum machine that a. doesn’t have a sequencer and b.has the sample support.

If I can find an analog drum module, that would be an ideal, and then I might just use do my sample work ITB.

I also am thinking about getting a small Kontrol keyboard to adjust the parameters with my NI VSTs

Seriously, the Pyramid is AWESOME. It makes working with software much more fun(provided I can get my Maschine to control Ableton better.

1 Like

You’ve got DT coming right? I do see it as a very capable extension to where ot lacks in sample modification and vice versa. You’ve given me a lot of great advice this past year. Here’s a little bit of mine. Everything seems different with Elektron marketing. Everyone is coming to an agreement that we will see specific focused smaller boxes. Which is generated to a newer crowd to get into the Elektron flow. And if it’s not as appealing to the classic users, they may lose our customer base but I think they’re trying very hard to keep us and add the ability to provide an entry non Elektron user tastes of what they could have. I’m almost scared the forum and Digitakt thread has already shown the direction. I’m reading posts of new users who don’t know what to expect already complaining about what features DT is lacking without any prior knowledge about these being available in other boxes. Let’s hope I’m wrong on this but I like to see you stick with it. You provide great insight with your prior experience and that should be respected. As far as ah. You’ll have a blast with it. Money sucks but I’ve been saving for my massive great buying scheme this year. I’ve always wanted to be able to buy into this brand and am very proud of all the hard work to get here finally. There is a great amount of cohesiveness among us which I highly regard the major selling point for their gear. I’m going to stop rambling here but if you ever need someone to have your back, I’m glad to know you.

1 Like

You may be onto something concerning the DT. If I can find a standalone Analog Drum Synth module, a midi controller/software that acts like ARs performance/Scene mode, then the DT might be more alluring.

But it just seems easier to go with the AR. Enough sample support(and damn they sound good), really cool performance features, and fully tweak-able parameters that my Pyramid can go in and alter. If memory fills up too much, I’ll still have trigless trigs to go on :)a

My advice to you is to find a good used Pyramid and give it a try. It’s an absolute game changer. Especially for percusison. I love the elektron sequencer and elektron gear. But for percussion it can do things that Elektron can, understandably not do. Up to 300 bars per pattern. Each track can have up to 32 patterns. And there are 64 poly-capable tracks. And you can zoom in on these bars and place 32nd 64th, etc etc notes on there.

If they could just provide better organization for odd times and a good computer/ipad app for a more full display of whats going on. It would be heaven for composing on <3

2 Likes

If you want both the best analog and digital drum machines then the AR and ND2 are your best bet imo.

1 Like

That’s what I’m thinking! Thanks for confirming! Though, I thinking of taking the feature hit and going for an ND3p just because I could actually record drum rolls from the pads into the Pyramid and reroute them elsewhere(maybe to the AR). I bet I could even rig it to where I’m basically playing live drums on sep tracks from the 3p playing through the AR.

Decisions decisions.

Side note, what is the trick to midi controlling the Nord Drums? I had one a while and didn’t stumble upon the solution until long after I had returned it.

If I WERE to go for the 3p, would-even in its depleted controls- it have more sonic capabilities than the MDUW? Or should I do the safe bet and get the ND2 and try to find the pads down the line?

You can send triggers to the ND2 from the RYTM. I think the 3 doesn’t have as many triggers in. In general I think it’s a lesser synth even though it has reverb.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a concern as well. Maybe not for controlling via the RYTM, but it would be nice to give my A4 CV outs something to do

The ND2 can respond to midi in 2 ways.
It can receive midi on 1 channel only with different midi notes triggering the 6 sounds, or via 6 seperate midi channels triggering 1 sound per midi channel (great for melodic tonal stuff).
I controlled the ND2 via Ableton and Push 2 with 1 midi channel, triggering the 6 midi notes within this single midi channel.
Setup a custom Ableton rack, and driven with Push 2, created the ultimate drum machine in my opinion. Sold my RYTM for this setup and didn’t look back.

3 Likes

By the way had a Machinedrum UW+ ages ago, but from what I can remember the ND2 synth engine sounds better imo

1 Like

Sell the pyramid off and OT - re-buy an AR.

Use the AR and MD together. The most powerful drummachine combo on the planet - ala the 21st century 909/808.

I just picked up another md to go with the AR, just a mk2 without the uw. Goes well with the AR and the AR compressor.

2 Likes

dont think he will be selling the pyramid by the sounds of things-

5 Likes

I have the 3p set up on a stand with a kick pedal and playing it is an absolute blast. Highly recommended, especially since its sounds engine responds so well to velocity.

Read page 14 of the fine manual (http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sites/default/files/files/downloads/manuals/nord-drum-3p/Nord%20Drum%203P%20English%20User%20Manual%20v1.x%20Edition%20C.pdf).

Yes, absolutely. I owned a MDUW and I’m pretty damn sure the ND allows a much wider and deeper range of drum sounds than the machines available on the MD. The MDUW has a lot going for it (16 voices, sequencer with p-locking, sampling) but purely as a drum synth, the ND2 and ND3p is much more interesting.

FWIW, I also owned an MD2 and I prefer the 3p in terms of hands-on control. I find the layout and channel selection method slightly more logical, the delay and reverb are actually really useful, and especially the drum select feature makes it much faster to quickly build and modify a kit.

I’d recommend going for the 3p. It’s still a compact unit and having the pads right there for you to hit with some sticks really makes it infinitely more fun. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome! Thank you for your input! Thats comforting. It’ll make buying feel less like a fire under my ass(especially since the ND2s are hard to come by, and when they pop up they’re priced as such) not to mention I’ll be able to get a stand and move an element off my table and the spot where the MDUW previously was, I can move the OT send the 3p through its inputs, cue the out and send drum synths and samples through the Heat with ease!

Thank you very much, sir!

Blasphemy! Sheer blasphemy!

Creating beats on the Pyramid is just too amazing to even think of getting rid off. 300 potential bars, ease of switching patterns, you can ZOOM. Plug 16th notes into the sequencer as an initial beat, and then zoom in and add 32nd notes. That notion of taking a beat and quite easily make it a much faster/glitchier sounding beast is impossible with the ease similar to the Pyramid. You’d have to x2 the pattern and replug in all the triggers to adapt for the faster speed.

I appreciate your input, and the MDUW is an awesome machine -definitely ahead of its time. But structurally the Pyramid has dedicated itself to only the structure, and as a structural device-it wins. Plus 64 tracks of full Midi CC control! <3

1 Like

This how I’ve got mine set up right now. I currently don’t even use MIDI with it; I’m just drumming live recording and layering loops. :slight_smile:

The stand is a Roland PDS-10, the kick pedal a Yamaha KU100.

5 Likes

Oooh! I still have the kick pedal from when I tried the ND2! The reasons to go for this keep coming! Screenshots my the comment for the stand, though!

Thank you for your help!

The notion of selling the OT and MDUW is to get the 3p and AR is pretty darn enticing though…

Reckon I’d do 3p > Heat > AR and get that Compression working since the samples on the AR are already pretty smokey and the AR has a mini-Heat built inside.