WMD Devices shutting down

Was sad to hear that one of my favorite modular companies, WMD Devices is shutting down soon. I have a lot of their awesome percussion modules, WMD Metron and mixer.

6 Likes

That’s really unfortunate. I never bought any of their modules, but a lot of their designs looked really intriguing to me. That said, I’ve been looking for something like that new Subway for a long time (a la RxMx or the similar discontinued Topobrillo module), and I ordered it immediately!

1 Like

That’s really sad to hear - I’ve had a few of their modules over time, and loved their Performance Mixer (shame I didn’t have space to keep it!). I worry others will follow suit soon, given the general situation and how tough it is for parts :frowning:

3 Likes

If you think about how much they do in house it’s worrying cause they do fab their own panels, pick and place parts, not sure if they outsource PCBs, but I imagine so. Parts shortage is a real problem. I hate it cause they are such a dope company and the stuff they make is all top notch and different.

2 Likes

Damn that sucks. I have and love Overseer. I’ve always been interested in the performance mixer but I’d have to expand my eurorack setup which is more a 2023 thing for me.

Well, I wish them and everyone that works for or with them the best. I love that they’re focused on providing for their exiting employees. Big changes like these suck in so many ways, but hopefully everyone finds the work they want and need.

4 Likes

Wow 17 year run coming to an end is brutal.

Another one down. Soon that will happen to more of them. It’s a sign of economic recession.

2 Likes

Yeah rip, from a consumer pov the chip shortage just seems like its gutted an entire industry.

3 Likes

Sad news! I am really glad to have purchased to C4RBNs and an Arpitecht in time.
WMD will be missed!

1 Like

I only have a single of their modules, a MSCL stereo compressor - absolutely great module! Very sad about WMD closing down…

1 Like

Damn! I have a bunch of their modules, including their performance mixer, and use it every day. Sad.

1 Like

I didn’t even know they made modules. I’ve always dreamed about their Geiger Counter pedal, it sounds great.

…since the great hype of modular gear is slowly but surely coming to an end, this sad news is nothing but another sign of the times…

we will all look back with big regret, to those days, where small companies like this were able to make a living from their great and weird little sonic concepts…

2 Likes

They are discounting 30% off remaining stock and final pre-orders. Ordered PM expander for my WMD mixer.

Very sad to hear the news about WMD. I attended a workshop with William Matthewson right at the start of my modular journey. He was so patient in answering noob questions and pointing me in the right direction with regards to getting started. Coincidentally, the event was hosted by Matt “Matttech” Preston who recently announced his own eurorack sales business is closing down.

2 Likes

Grabbed the Javelin as soon as I heard. First Mutable Instruments and now WMD closing up shop… Not looking forward to whoever is next.

3 Likes

Ah that’s really shit, I really like them as a company, their YT presence, and their modules that I own. Shit to hear for them. Man…

3 Likes

it saddens me as well since WMD along with Mutable Instruments are two of the best modular pioneers that got me interested and love the modules.

1 Like

Not sure I’ve seen much hype - just an industry emerging and maturing over the years. The retailers don’t seem to be having any trouble.

Émilie closed down Mutable because she was done with making modules, it wasn’t an economic decision.

Hopefully WMD isn’t a sign of things to come though - my understanding is that most of the parts backlogs have cleared by now, higher costs are mostly just translating into higher prices - but I guess they ran the numbers and struggled to make it work.

3 Likes

MSCL. I sold it. Regret.

1 Like